Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Bear Attack in Utah

Kodiak

Nick Greeve was sleeping under the stars at a campsite along the Green River in Desolation Canyon when he awoke to face his worst nightmare — a black bear trying to drag him from his sleeping bag.
The 18-year-old West Linn, Ore., resident was camping with other students and instructors of the Outdoor Leadership School, located in Jensen, Uintah County, when the bear attacked Monday.
The campers were sleeping in the open, in a circular pattern with their feet at the center of the circle.
Greeve's screams woke the others who chased the bear away.
The group floated Greeve down the river in Desolation Canyon to the town of Green River, where he was taken to Castle View Hospital in Price. He was treated and released for puncture wounds and lacerations.
Wildlife officials and the Ute Tribe are attempting to hunt down the bear and kill it. It will then be tested for rabies and any other disease or condition that may have prompted the attack.
Bill Bates, southeastern region wildlife manager for the Division of Wildlife Resources, said the bear probably won't be found.
At the campsite wildlife agents tried to lure the bear back with the smell of cooking bacon, but the bear's tracks indicated the animal had returned to the high cliffs. They also used a Utah Highway Patrol helicopter to search for the bear, he said.
It's the first bear attack in Utah in 11 years.

I guess I can't blame the bear on this one. If I had to taste someone from Oregon I'd probably run off and hide too.

The bear is probably up in the high cliffs somewhere licking a skunks butt trying to get the Oregonian taste out of his mouth.

That'll teach them to come to Utah and visit!!
wink.gif
wink.gif

Back