PEAX Equipment

Bases for Browning A-Bolt (Help)

Losing_Sanity

I bought my wife a Browning A-Bolt (says right on the barrel), short action, some time back. I got the stock cut down for her. Gunsmith took about 2 Inches off. Sure seems short, but she has short arms.

The Warne bases that I bought don't seem to fit. Warne Maxima 2 piece steel, M918/918M. The package says "fits Browning A-Bolt, A-Bolt II, and Sako A7 Models". The bases don't rest on the top of the receiver properly and the screws are way to small for the base holes. What bases should I have gotten or should I look for? I did some internet searching, but was unable to make a definitive decision.

Also, I bought Warne medium high rings for a Leupold 3-9X40 scope to go with it. Do you think I should switch to low rings for this application?

What are your thoughts? Thanks, I appreciate any advise...

Scope ring height is whatever matches the shooter. Low will usually work with 40mm.

An ABolt would be a fairly old rifle. They have matte and polished situations on the bolt. Then there was the ABolt II that had a bolt with flat faces. The AB3 is the current econo model. Which one do you have? I'd call Warne with that info if you want to use their product.

Scope ring height is whatever matches the shooter. Low will usually work with 40mm.

An ABolt would be a fairly old rifle. They have matte and polished situations on the bolt. Then there was the ABolt II that had a bolt with flat faces. The AB3 is the current econo model. Which one do you have? I'd call Warne with that info if you want to use their product.

Thanks for the assistance!

The Barrel just says A-Bolt. Bought the rifle brand new a few years ago. just never did much with it. I guess it might be considered an AB3. 🤔

20200423_134942.jpg20200423_135045.jpg

The original A-Bolt was made until the early 90s
Abolt II was made into early 00s???
AB3 is the newest iteration, I think you should be able to check the Serial Number to confirm your model for sure. The last 3 digits of the serial number are a code for the model of the gun, I think the AB3 code is 358.

Looks like an ABolt 3 based on the pic of the bolt. I have one in 270 and I put Talley one piece rings on mine, and they are different than the first and second gen guns. Pretty sure they’re low rings and I have a 40mm Leupold on it.

That is an Abolt 3 and low rings should most likely work just fine. Or like stated above you can go with the 1pc Talley lightweights.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate the info. I do believe it is an AB3 after all. I feel a bit goofy on this one. The guys at Sportsman's kept insisting it was not an AB3 and that it was compatible with the Winchester XPR. They didn't have bases to fit either one.

The last 3 numbers of the serial numbers is 358. I couldn't find anything in town for an AB3 set up so I'll have to order bases from Midway USA.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back