Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Barnes 160gr TSX (7MM Mag)

HalfAce

Guys, I need your in field experience and opinions for the Barnes 160gr TSX through a 7MM Mag. I’m a believer in 160gr Accubonds, but my gun hates them. I had an old 7MM Mag that shot them well but that gun is gone now.

My new 7MM Mag likes the Barnes 160gr TSX. But somehow, looking at the thing, a dainty looking hollow point, I just don’t know if the bullet will take down an old - big bodied mule deer at distances over 400 yards.

At what ranges have you guys killed Mule deer or Elk with this gun/bullet combo?

3EDA9F59-D003-46DE-A5A9-60FE7499302F.jpeg

3 shot group at 100.

I have not had good luck with the 160 TSX, but the TTSX seems much better. I had a very odd experience with a 160 grain TSX once on a Kudu (elk size) and have had other times that I do not believe the TSX opened properly. The TTSX has been reliable on several hunts for elk-sized game. I like the TSX for larger caliber rifles (375, etc.) but do not care for it in the smaller calibers such as the 7mm.

I haven’t had any elk, mule deer, or antelope take more than a few steps when hit with a TSX or TTSX. That’s a great group and the cartridge/bullet combo is more than adequate for mule deer, elk, or anything else in North America.

Using 140gr TTSX and RL 26, 7rem mag. 1 shot on a cow elk at 100 yds. Very impressed with accuracy too. This is going to be the load I use for most hunting now. Also shot two whitetails last year, same load, one at 20 yds, one at 300. Both went less than 15 yds.

I've shot a few pigs with the 160TSX in my 7RM and ever had a problem. I haven't shot one at over 400 yds, but ballistics wise the velocity is still good enough.

Pigs, by far are the toughest animal pound for pound. Shot placement being equal, I've had moose drop with smaller bullets and less energy more easily than hogs hit with lots more.....in short, I'd have no issue shooting a mule deer at 500 with that cartridge.

Using 140gr TTSX and RL 26, 7rem mag. 1 shot on a cow elk at 100 yds. Very impressed with accuracy too. This is going to be the load I use for most hunting now. Also shot two whitetails last year, same load, one at 20 yds, one at 300. Both went less than 15 yds.

Care to share your load data? Working with some RL-26 and H1000 now.

TSX, TTSX, and Accubond are what I'd be using in my primaries if Scenar and Hammer weren't available. Sill use TSX in a 7mag #1.

Care to share your load data? Working with some RL-26 and H1000 now.
Let me translate my handwriting lol:
Savage 110 .05" off the lands, 68gr RL26 federal case with federal magnum primers. I was consistently less than 1 MOA and with the 140s the recoil is manageable. I didn't have to deviate from the Alliance load data. There is definitely more room for powder in the case but at an advertised 3200 fps, I'm good. I couldn't get anything decent with H1000 but that would be good to revisit this off-season. Retumbo has been pretty good for me too, especially nosler partition 175s.

Attachments

• 1594078473655869320449358514821.jpg
    1594078473655869320449358514821.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
I shoot an 85 gr tsx out of my 243 at similar velocity and it has killed a lot of deer and antelope, I have been thoroughly impressed over the years with its performance. You will have no problem killing animals at 400 yards with that round.

Assuming Factory ammo and average velocity I would limit shots to 450 and under with that combo.
Be sure to shoot it on paper at distance and confirm drops.

You would need to confirm your ballistics and muzzle velocity so you can verify that your impact velocity at your intended range is above the minimum terminal velocity for that load. I’d also email Barnes to verify the terminal velocity of tsx which is usually around 2000fps

You would need to confirm your ballistics and muzzle velocity so you can verify that your impact velocity at your intended range is above the minimum terminal velocity for that load. I’d also email Barnes to verify the terminal velocity of tsx which is usually around 2000fps

With most bullets 2000FPS is what I’d consider the limit for reliable expansion especially with mono bullets. The hammers work below that as do other lead core bullets but 2000FPS is a pretty reliable expansion velocity limit.

Out to 300yds, you should be ok.
I prefer the 145LRX, you can get another 200fps MV, and it holds velocity far better than the 160. It is also a slightly softer alloy, and has a lower minimum velocity threshold, so you can get a couple hundred yards more out of it.

One of my 7 Rem Mags really loves 160 TSX bullets. Muzzle velocity is about 2,875 FPS with handloads. I've taken mule deer with it out to 422 yards, performance has been really good. Animals usually drop where they stand, otherwise they don't run far. I also load 140 TTSX, 145 LRXs and 150 TTSX bullets in some of my other 7 Rem Mags. Really can't say I've noticed any big difference in performance, but I don't like shooting at game past 500 yards, I prefer closer the better. I let accuracy dictate which bullet I'm shooting.

I can't speak the the 160gr but I've been shooting the 120 TTSX out of my 7mm on deer and antelope for several years. I've been very happy with performance, longest shot was an one shot bang flop on an antelope at 375 yds

I've used the 160gr TSX out of my 7mag for around 10 years - very accurate and the bullet has always performed flawlessly for me. I have killed 2 bull elk over 400 yards (511 and 537) and 1 mule deer (415 yards)...the vast majority of my harvests/hunting have been well under 400 yards and it has also worked flawlessly at those closer ranges on a variety of deer, elk, antelope and bear.

Guys, I need your in field experience and opinions for the Barnes 160gr TSX through a 7MM Mag. I’m a believer in 160gr Accubonds, but my gun hates them. I had an old 7MM Mag that shot them well but that gun is gone now.

My new 7MM Mag likes the Barnes 160gr TSX. But somehow, looking at the thing, a dainty looking hollow point, I just don’t know if the bullet will take down an old - big bodied mule deer at distances over 400 yards.

At what ranges have you guys killed Mule deer or Elk with this gun/bullet combo?

View attachment 145875

3 shot group at 100.
I just tested a bunch of different brands and loads in my slightly used (400rounds?) 7RM and found the old federal blue box was the constant winner in accuracy and price in 140g, 150gr and 160gr but settled for the Barnes because..., well..., it was #2 in accuracy and I just like hollow points. Especially solid copper. I have shot moose, deer and bear with them and have only had one slug not expand and that was because it didn't have time to. It was a spine shot on a 200lb bear that only went through about 5 or 6 inches of flesh n bone. Every other shot left a hole of carnage you could put yourbfist through starting about 8" from entry and continuing for at least 20" whether there was bone or not. The only slug that ever lost a petal went through a whitetails neck, then vaporized about 5" of four ribs and blew a hole in the hide as big as my fist before lodging in the pelvis. Only the moose took a few steps. Every other animal fell on the spot without so much as a flinch. If it wasnt a spine/neck shot it was just the shear explosiveness of it's expansion nd the

I've used the 160gr TSX out of my 7mag for around 10 years - very accurate and the bullet has always performed flawlessly for me. I have killed 2 bull elk over 400 yards (511 and 537) and 1 mule deer (415 yards)...the vast majority of my harvests/hunting have been well under 400 yards and it has also worked flawlessly at those closer ranges on a variety of deer, elk, antelope and bear
Was about to mention the cup shaped tip of the slug after expansion. I think it creates more powerful streams of material as it passes through.
The only caveats are that when there are cross winds it tends to get a bit wild at distance and you must be very careful not to deform the tip.
The old Remington yellow jackets had wax in the hollow. I assumed it was for accuracy but they seemed to explode noticibly more than cci minimags or stingers. Hint... ; )

View attachment 145875

3 shot group at 100.
I took a 5 point moose at 375 with the 160gr solid copper hollow point. It was a double lung shot and it walked about 3 body lengths before falling. The slug broke through two ribs as well and was fully intact and was stuck in the hide on the opposite side.
I have also taken Black bear, white tale and mule deer and have never had any issue with the slugs. I had one pass through the neck bones of a white tail(it dropped its head just as I squeezed the trigger), then blow through 4 ribs and about 6 inches of hide before reentering the body cavity and lodging in the pelvis, losing only one of the 4 petals.
My only complaint is that if you hit thick muscle, like that deers neck, it destroys a lot of meat. I lost about ten pounds of neck meat that day.
All in all I am very impressed with their stopping power.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back