Barnes 140 Grain for Elk?

I've heard guys claim they shot critters and the bullet lifted them off their feet and sent them backwards. Hilarious. mtmuley
I never worry about what people claim. My hunting buddy uses a 270 Win with 130 grainers. Two years ago his trail camera captured his shot. We all know its animal reaction to the shot not the power. We both thought this is hilarious too. But it did give the show like people claim.1501.jpeg

I use a 145 Barnes LRX and taken the following with all dying within 20 yards:

Cow Elk- 200 yards
Bull Elk- 300
Whitetail- 30
Javelina- 4
Pig- 330

you should be all set.

Great all around bullet for most N.A. game. However, I also think it depends on what your gun likes. I tried 30 different workups and my Rem .300 WSM XCR hates barnes bullets, but nothing shoots more accurately out of my TC venture .308 than a 150gr TTSX. For elk, I would spare no expense on bullet. Monolithic and bonded bullets will punch through bone without fragmenting as readily as soft points. This can allow you the opportunity to effectively and ethically make one shot kill shots on steep angled quartering toward you shots(i.e., punching through near-side shoulder). At the end of the day, even the most expensive box of bullets is probably your cheapest elk hunting expense.

Back up all the posts above that the 140 TTSX is a proven killer.

If your gun doesn't like barnes I've had really good results with the 139gr hornady GMX in 7mm. And their factory loaded ammo works well in a lot of guns (superformance, full boar, or outfitter).

A few things to know: make sure to keep the speed high (above 2000fps or so) with copper bullets. With 100% copper (barnes) you might need to clean your barrel a bit more, they can foul up. The hornady stuff (gilding metal, 95% copper 5% zinc, standard metal used on lead bullet jackets) seems to go a bit long between cleanings. Both are great.

Saw a one-shot kill on a grizzly.

140 gr Barnes and a 7mm Rem Mag. Range was about 80 yards. That bullet did a lot of damage and dropped the grizz quickly. I think it would be just fine on elk.

Guy

As long as your velocity is high enough for the bullet to expand you should have no problems.

High Velocity and a 140 gr copper > Low Velocity and a 200 gr copper

You want about 1800 - 2000 fps at impact for good performance.
What do you think is better for 30-06, 150 or 168 gr TTSX (factory), For elk? Tried shooting 180gr factory accubonds last year but couldn’t get good groups. Thanks!

What do you think is better for 30-06, 150 or 168 gr TTSX (factory), For elk? Tried shooting 180gr factory accubonds last year but couldn’t get good groups. Thanks!
Shooting 150s fast is ideal, 168s will be fine but not necessary given 99% retention of mono bullets.

You should treat monolithic bullets
Shooting 150s fast is ideal, 168s will be fine but not necessary given 99% retention of mono bullets.

Don't over complicate it. Both will take down and elk, especially a cow. Chose what shoots best for you and out of your rifle. The 168gr will probably produce more recoil than the 150gr, as more powder is needed to move the heavier of the two bullets. Also, monolithic bullets generally perform like their next heavier lead counterparts, that is why I say either will do.

as more powder is needed to move the heavier of the two bullets.

You can expect more recoil from the 168, but not for quite the reason you are suggesting. The extra mass of the bullet increases the recoil, but the reduced speed lessens it. It typically nets out still leaving the heavier round with more recoil than the lighter one. Different powder choices can result in significantly different mass of powder that can cause 10% recoil swings either way, but with the same powder (say IMR4895 for example) 150gn bullets use about the same (and sometimes more) powder than the 168.

Back