PEAX Equipment

Backpacking tripod for Vortex RAZOR HD 27-60X85 Spotting scope?

BuddyBoombox

I just picked up a RAZOR HD 27-60X85 for a great price for my first ever Coues deer hunt in southern AZ. I'm in 36A and there are some pretty decent hills but lots of road access. My plan is to try to hike in a few miles to seperate myself from teh crowd and glass up a buck. Any suggestions on a lightweight tripod I can use to sit behind this glass with good stability? I plan on sitting on the ground, so don't need a full sized tripod, but I'm concerned that such high zoom will need more stabilization than a standard ball head can provide.

And if anyone has extra advice for locating the "grey ghost" I'm all ears!

I use Vortex Pro GT. Wouldn’t exactly call it lightweight at 4.4 lbs, but it’s really sturdy. I initially bought the Summit as it was half the weight, but exchanged it after a couple of scouting trips because it just wasn’t stable enough for my needs. Both are full height which is how I do most of my glassing. If you’ll be sitting or prone, then you could probably get away with something less beefy.

I use Vortex Pro GT. Wouldn’t exactly call it lightweight at 4.4 lbs, but it’s really sturdy. I initially bought the Summit as it was half the weight, but exchanged it after a couple of scouting trips because it just wasn’t stable enough for my needs. Both are full height which is how I do most of my glassing. If you’ll be sitting or prone, then you could probably get away with something less beefy.
+1

Do you think the extra 2 lbs is worth trying to drop that weight elsewhere in the pack? I already understand opting for something like a heavy spotting scope and tripod isn't "ultralight" by any stretch. I honestly have never even used an optic this powerful before. I'm guessing if it's not stabilized right, I may as well have brought a smaller scope though.

I have never been a fan of vortex’s tripods, have tried three different ones that always left me feeling like I had “settled”. In general, not a fan of most aluminum tripods. Given that you’re toting a heavier spotter id worry less about what spotter is lightest and focus on the most stable. Will most likely have to compromise a little in weight. I moved to and currently have the carbon fiber tripod kit from leupold. I love it. It’s an expensive piece but worth it. If you are military, LEO, first responder, etc you qualify for their VIP program as well and can save. Best of luck.

I'll check out Leupod, I have a buddy who is LEO who could probably swing me a deal. I don't mind spending a little more on a carbon tripod and separate fluid head as long as I'm gonna tote 10 lbs on top of my scope!

If you run big glass, you need a big, solid tripod, otherwise the shake at that magnification will make the glass almost useless. Call Cody at GoHunt and get his opinion.

Oh and use promo code Randy to save 10%

Last edited:
I agree with what everyone has suggested on the tripod, sometimes too light is worse than too heavy, especially with high magnification. I haven't stepped up to a better tripod yet but I have a heavier aluminum tripod currently that is very stable.

On the topic of glassing, I've never hunted for coues, but in general take your time glassing spot to spot. I was told that by more experienced guys and even when I thought I was going slow it was still way too fast. Once I started glassing up animals it amazes me how much you miss even with a tripod when moving too quickly. Basically glass as painstakingly slow as possible and it just might be slow enough!

From videos I've watched of coues hunts it's a tough but fun hunt, good luck out there!

I agree with what everyone has suggested on the tripod, sometimes too light is worse than too heavy, especially with high magnification. I haven't stepped up to a better tripod yet but I have a heavier aluminum tripod currently that is very stable.

On the topic of glassing, I've never hunted for coues, but in general take your time glassing spot to spot. I was told that by more experienced guys and even when I thought I was going slow it was still way too fast. Once I started glassing up animals it amazes me how much you miss even with a tripod when moving too quickly. Basically glass as painstakingly slow as possible and it just might be slow enough!

From videos I've watched of coues hunts it's a tough but fun hunt, good luck out there!
Thanks! as it's my first time using glass, I'm positive I'd go to fast, thanks for the advice. I'm guessing a scouting trip or two might be in order too, wish it wasn't 115 degrees out or I'd go now!

Thanks! as it's my first time using glass, I'm positive I'd go to fast, thanks for the advice. I'm guessing a scouting trip or two might be in order too, wish it wasn't 115 degrees out or I'd go now!
I'm only a year and a half in on big game hunting so I know where you are coming from! I hunt in central California and our deer season in A zone is in late August so temperatures are brutal. Take your time and bring lots of water!

I'm only a year and a half in on big game hunting so I know where you are coming from! I hunt in central California and our deer season in A zone is in late August so temperatures are brutal. Take your time and bring lots of water!
No kidding? I grew up just outside Visalia! Always took for granted how many animals I knew the location of when I lived out in rural Central Valley. The desert is another game!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back