Backpacking Tents

Bambistew

Looking at the MSR Zoid2 and Flashlight by Sierra Designs. Both in the $150 range and 2 man, light weight etc etc. Which would you go with? Any others in that price range that would be comparable? I'm looking at keeping it at or under 4 pounds pack weight.

Bibler I-tent or the ElDorado. I picked up an eldorado for $150 used. Ha! It was a sucker that sold it to me. I think they are 6-700 new.

I'll give ya $155 for it.

I'm going to keep my eyes open, not sure what I'll do this year, probably just stick with the ol stand by Sierra Designs. She's looking a little old though.

Bibler/Black Diamond make a few with a new fabric that look like great tents; Firstlight is the one that comes to mind. Have heard a few condensation problems due to their single wall construction when used in high humidity areas. Some others that I have a yen for are from Big Agnes. The hub pole design and a weight seem pretty cats azz.

FWIW, both the above brands are a bit higher than your $150. Do you 'have' to have a tent with a floor? Some of the new floorless models looks pretty sweet, GoLite has a few that I've been tempted to try.

I just bought a Ti-Goat tipi and titanium packable stove big enuff for 4 and only weights 7+ lbs--stove weighs 3 lbs--no floor and it's a custom job and not cheap, but cheaper than Kifaru--I'm hoping this is it for big tents for me---I'll let you guys know how it works after we get back from Idaho--they have smaller tipis that are super light also-chris

Thanks for all the replies... I ended up going with an REI quarter dome. It was the lightest/biggest tent in my price range that had all the options that I was looking for, minus the 'brand name' and price tag. I use a space blanket for a footprint and so far so good. I've only slept in it 4 nights, but nary a problem. No condensation what so ever, but that could have been the fact that I was at 11,000 and the temps where in the 30-60's

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...productId=47687600&parent_category_rn=4500457

I wanted somthing that could be used for a refuge if it rained so over all interor space was an issue. It had to have a floor also for rain/snow, needed a vestibule big enough for gear etc. I think all in all I got a pretty sweet tent for the money. I had the kid at REI set up about 5 tents for me before I picked the one I wanted. I think he was getting a little PO'd at me :D

IMO, I really don't think floorless tents are the 'ticket'. If I wanted to go floorless, I'd pack a tarp and a rope. I've gone that route quite a few times in the summer and it was ok, but if the weather changes and it rains hard or snows... You're fugged. Its impossible to keep gear dry, let alone keep from sleeping in a mud puddle. Even in our 'floorless' wall tent we have to put tarps on the ground or its a mess. No mater what if it rains, the ground will eventually saturate and infiltrate your small shelter. So you really have to pack something for a floor anyway. In the end I really dont' think you'd be saving anything but maybe a pound of wieght, and the trade off for mud pies woudn't be worth it IMO? No mater how careful you are, you're going to get dirt in and on your gear with floorless tents. Maybe I've just had back luck, but I'll never own one for backpacking.

Nice looking tent. Bit $$ for my budget at the moment. I've been in search of a tent that in the event we're on rock hard ground, happens a lot in AZ, it won't require stakes in the ground to hold it up. Something like that quarter dome but if I could keep it in the $100-$150 range that'd be awesome.

Anyone got recommendations for that?

thanks
cmc

Ok the Titanium Goat tent gets the nod of approval from me..it is light, kept the rain out, easy to set up and take down and is a piece of cake to get it in the stuff sack. It will condensate though unless you leave the zipper cracked a little, as long as it is not raining though there is a side vent low that may help in the rain...will have to see the next time I use it in the rain to be for sure...I ordered a custom V8.0 and it handled 4 us with all our gear, you could get 6 in there if you had means to keep your gear dry, that is backpacks, guns, etc......all in all I am very pleased with it.

the box stove is light and packs up nice and small and does a pretty good job of heating the tent and it is easy to clean..slide flue out and take the stove out of the tent, before use of course, and empty it...... but it does eat a lot of wood...with more time spent with it I may be able to figure it out so it does not eat so much, but I still think it will take some wood no matter what....I am working with the owner to remedy a couple of things on the stove...one is a better catch for the door, which may be just the use of a screw vs the long rivet it has now or an S shaped pc riveted on the panel to keep the door from sliding open; down that is, when things heat up. It was not major problem, but I think in the future it may be, when that rivet heats up it sags and I have a feeling over time it will not do the job of keeping the door in place. There is also a spark arrester that is to slide into the pipe near the damper, although on initial set up I got it to go in and stay but I could not get it to do the same when we set it up for the real deal. We put it at the top, but that is not ideal as it will soot up and the stove stops working like it should, but a couple of raps knocked the soot loose and all was well, but do not rap against the pipe when there is a fire going as an ember or embers can escape inside the tent and this may not be good...hole in tent or sleeping bag, etc.......I have talked with the owner about this also, so we shall see if he can do what I want which is house the arrester in a small pc of pipe that will sit on top of the damper and then slide into the flue pipe....again it is not to much on the down side here and it packs so light and small that I feel it is a good stove for back packing in. chris

have been emailing Ti-Goat and they are going to make the spark arrestor part and send it to me, they will also do what I want for the stove door, but I'll probably fix the door myself since it's pretty straight forward---awesome people to deal with---chris

Is their stove collapsable? If so, I've read where lining the seams with AL foil help cut down on the draft and allows the wood to burn slower/longer. I'm gonna have to drive up to Ogden sometime to see those folks.

Back