Backpack Camp Set Up

Wapiti23

Alright guys without scrolling through tons of threads I was wonder what everyone is using for their backpack hunt camp equipment.

What my current and future plans consist of are as follows: a rifle mule deer hunt in the badlands of North Dakota here in November. Most hunting will be within 4 miles of the pickup so maybe 1-2 nights at most, but would like to be on the X if I find a good buck at last light. Lows in the teens and highs in the 60s with possible snow. I should get drawn for Wyoming Elk next year where I’ll be archery hunting and if need be rifle hunting so also the beginning of November at about 8,500 ft.

I’ve got the pack and such for the hunts but just am looking for recommendations for the sleep system and tent. Current idea for a tent is Big Agnus Copper Spur UV2. I’m considering a Big Agnus Q-core XL pad. Struggling a bit on the bag though. Any and all recommendations are welcome.

Last edited:
If you don't want to break the bank, I suggest taking a look at Hyke and Byke's Eolus 0F goose down bag. For the price, the quality is incredible and frankly, I think it stacks up to high end bags that are triple the cost.

I've been taking the "layer" approach to sleep systems instead of buying a bunch of different bags, in my opinion it's cheaper and more versatile. Basically I have a 15 degree bag and use that as a blanket (completely unzipped) with a pad for summer camping (50s), early fall I just zip up the bag (30-40s) , late fall I throw on the puffy pants and jacket inside the bag + maybe liner (10-20s). I have used them in the teens and been comfortable. I haven't taken the setup down into the 0 or below range.

Bag: marmot helium bag 15 (same rating as the eolus bag above... looks like Hyke and byke are slightly misleading and label their survival temp rather than lower limit, whatever bag you get check their system)
Pad: thermarest neoair xthem
Liner: thermolite reactor extreme
Jacket: RAB puffy
Pants: FL Uncompaghre

Lots of snow and really cold temps might make backpack hunting pretty miserable, I would consider a 4 season tent and closed cell pad to go under the q-core pad if you are going to be sleeping on snow/expect decent accumulation + wind.

Something to keep in mind when going cheap on sleeping bags, if you spend 1 night in a hotel because you got too cold you lost any money you would have saved.

Last edited:
If you're planning on backpacking in Nov, a four season tent would be nice. The weight sucks, but you can buy a $100 sil tarp to backpack with when the weather is decent. When the wind gets to blowing snow sideways a solid tent is sure nice. I'm trying to remember the 4-season tents I've used...Big Agnes String Ridge, Moss Stardome II (basically MSR Fury), MH Trango, NF Mountain, Rab Latok Summit, then the Hillebergs: Allak, Nallo 2 GT, Unna. The best two person 4-season hunting tent going is the Hilleberg Allak IMO, but it'll run you $1000 these days. Ouch! You could do far worse for a 3-season tent to lean into winter with than a Copper Spur though.

Yeah a high end 15-ish degree bag should do the trick, Valandre/Feathered Friends/Western Mountaineering/Marmot/Mountain Hardware. Good down isn't cheap, but I can attest that it will last.

Nemo just had a sale for their hornet 2p 100$ off the new model. I couldn’t pass up a sub 2lb tent for that price.

I have the hyke n byke but in 15 degree. Real nice packabilty. I haven’t tested it in sub freezing by I sleep warm anyways so I don’t think it should be a problem. Outdoorsmans lab pad. I’ve also seen the marmot bags listed above on sale on websites like www.camofire.com

I’m not sure of the quality of those but generally 40 - 50% off... whatever that means. Do some research but I know my hyke n byke is very small when packed and is super warm and about 2lbs 6 oz or something. I’ve heard good things of the spur as well though for a tent. Just heavier and more money than the Nemo I got

There is a good big Agnes bag on campfire right now. 0 is a bit overkill but given your late season hunt would probably be a decent option.

I guess the November timeframe is more of the first week of November for the elk. That would be probably the latest I’d Go hunt for them anyway. The deer aspect of it would probably be for a night possibly two max before heading back to the pickup and in all reality I could get back to the pickup every night if needed but if I have “The One” spotted, Id just as soon sleep on him and kill him right away in the morning without having to hike in a place like the badlands in the dark. Good place to fall in a wash. I don’t plan on spending too much time in a tent with winter conditions/temps I guess.

I can second the thermarest xtherm, and the copper spur. I’ve switched to an enlightened equipment quilt, and I really like it, but not everyone likes the quilt route.

Ran a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3, Sea to Summit Ultralight Insulated and Kelty Cosmic Down 20 in 2017 Idaho backpack trip. Highs were in the low 40s and snowed or rained everyday in September but I was good. 3 person was nice for keeping bow and pack in

I sleep in a hammock always... underquilt if it's cold, and like @pre6422hornet I run hot so I'll be unzipping and looking for air even in the teens. The areas I spend time in always have trees so it works for me. YMMV

Big Agnes makes good stuff, and they stand by their products, so I'm a big fan.

I think most people are recommend whatever tent they have, so I'll refrain from adding my $.02 there. I will say on the tent though, I'm a big fan of carrying a one size bigger tent than you need (ex: buying a 2 man tent if you plan on camping solo, or a 3 man tent if you plan on camping with a buddy). The weigh differences usually aren't very significant, and it doesn't sound like you're going to be covering any crazy distances, so I'd definitely be looking at going a size up.

Re: the sleeping bag, if you can afford it, I'd try to find something with 850 fill down. A sleeping bag is usually the biggest thing in your pack after the tent, and the fill weight makes a huge difference in how small (or big) your bag packs. My wife and I both have bought 650 fill bags (transitioning from synthetic), then a couple years later upgraded again to 850 fill, wish we'd saved a buck and bought 850 fill bags to begin with.

If you're on facebook, keep an eye on fb marketplace. You'll occasionally see some really great deals pop up. Even if it's an older tent/bag, most outdoor companies really do a great job of replacing/repairing old/damaged equipment for really low rates or even free.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back