Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Back2Back book bucks!

ihuntelk

My oldest brother, Zane, had never killed a pronghorn until last year (2011). I really did my homework and we drew the unit we wanted - as a 2nd choice! Here are the results of that hunt:
Cade2012WYO.jpg
Carson2012WYO.jpg
Zane2012WYO.jpg

Not bad for a 2nd choice hunt? 2 were killed on Walk-in and the other was private. We knocked on 1 door and he was ecstatic to have someone shoot a pronghorn off his place. :) Yes, Zane's is as big as it looks. Over 8 inch bases on 15.5 inches of height. His best side taped out over 44"! and altogether he grossed 85". Mine was the smallest at just under 81".

Fast forward to 2012. Zane drew the same hunt as did Carson's dad, Sid. I wasn't able to go on the hunt as I was chasing muleys with the bow. Here is Zane's report from the pronghorn hunt - 2012:

What a follow up to our 2011 Wyoming antelope hunt. Last year three of us drew tags...my brother Cade and myself...and friend Carson. We joked driving over about shooting three bucks over 80 inches...and that is just what we did. You can see the video episodes on www.huntforeverwest.com or read the story in the Fall 2012 issue of Western Hunter (www.westernhuntermagazine.net).

I drew the same tag again in 2012 as did Carson's dad Sid. Carson, Sid, and I loaded up the truck and camp trailer and headed for Wyoming on Friday, the day before the opener. Friday evening we put to bed several shooter bucks, including Chester from 2011, and a couple of new buddies that looked even bigger than Chester. We knocked on a couple doors and received permission for these same fields again. We also found two new bucks in another area that Sid named #1 and #2...the order in which he wanted to shoot them.

Saturday morning found us up and looking for #1 and #2. They were already moving at first light from the fields out to the sage brush draws and badlands where they felt protected. Knowing they would be up and out of their beds by mid day and back to the green of the fields we leave them alone to go find Chester...my first choice buck since we had a relationship with him from the year before. As we get across the valley to the place that Chester calls home, we find out from a neighbor that some other hunters had already killed a buck in that field this morning. Frustrating...we had exclusive permission to hunt these fields...only to have them spoiled by ignorant road hunters that stumbled upon our bucks. We don't know if they killed the first buck they saw or Chester or one of his big new friends...but the antelope were all gone from the fields and scattered across the badlands.

Disappointed we drove back to save our claim on #1 and #2. #1 was still in his bed when we returned...but several bucks had moved back into the fields...including #2. These were Sids bucks and he had first choice whether to shoot #2 or not...and after watching him through the spotter he decides not to wait for #1. These bucks were in a walk-in area, so we park on the road edge and use the limited cover available to stalk in to 200 yards from the feeding and bedded bucks. Just then another bunch of "road hunters" decide to ignore the walk in signs and drive into the fields. I had to break cover and flag these guys down and motion them to get out of the fields. They finally saw me...but not until after they were 150 yards from the bucks which they hadn't seen yet from the road. Of course this makes the bucks nervous and they move across the field and behind a swell in the topography out of sight from our position. Wouldn't you know it...the road hunters didn't actually leave...but drove over to the other side of the field and were driving in along the far fence. Unbelievable...what part of "walk-in" do they not understand.

Knowing the bucks were nervous and not wanting to be foiled again by lazy guys in a pick up...we decide that no matter who we needed to shoot #2. We split up with Sid and Carson moving up to the high ground and upper edge of these fields, while I worked towards the center part. We hoped to cover both escape routes in case the red pickup guys spooked the bucks out of the fields for good. Once on higher ground Carson and Sid could see the bucks in the lower field. They happened to be just out in front of me...but still out of sight from the crest of the field. I was sneaking closer when I looked back and noticed two bucks on the skyline coming in behind Carson and Sid. One quick glance through my binos I immediately recognized #1. As I reached for my phone to text Carson his message buzzed through...they had also seen the bucks and Sid was setting up for a shot. The bucks were 280 yards away from them.

At the report of the rifle #1 flinched and then staggered several steps until he was out of my sight. I turned my attention to #2 and the other bucks with him. I was finally able to locate them...running away across the next field over...and right towards the the red pick up. I gather up my gear and put my pack on to walk up and see Sid's buck.

sid2.jpg

After a few minutes I notice horns bobbing over the crest of the field and they were working my way. I sat down in the middle of the cut field in the stubble and set up on my sticks. 13 or 14 bucks worked towards me until the front one finally noticed something out of place about 150 yards out. Buck #2 was clearly a wise old buck and didn't want to be in these fields any longer...as the front bucks would stop to look at me he would come up behind then and poke them in the rear end to keep moving along. He also kept himself in the center of the group for protection. He presented shots on two occasions but without a clear back drop I held on the shots. Finally at 100 yards he cleared the front bucks and a solid back drop I touched off a shot. Hearing the "whump" when the rifle recoiled I expected to see him piled up when I got back in the scope and was surprised to see him still on his feet. He had whirled around and after three wobbly steps he nose dived into the dirt. The shot had broken his front shoulder and passed through the opposite side taking both lungs.

Zane.jpg
Zane2.jpg

I ran up to take a quick picture to send to Carson and my brother Cade who was chasing deer instead of hunting with us. He was heavy and had many of the same devil points and trash that my buck Roid did last year. Sid got to shoot his #1 buck...I missed out on Chester but it would have been a mistake to pass on #2 since he topped 82". Sid's #1 buck stretched the tape to 80"...his biggest antelope buck ever. We killed these two big Wyoming antelope bucks only fifteen minutes apart and capped off an awesome repeat to our hat trick of 2011.

ZaneSidCarson.jpg

-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

Nice critters there. I'm wondering what license plates did these guys happen to have the don't know what walk-in means?

Hey PSEShooter-

I love my rifle. It was built by Kevin Weaver of Weaver Rifles out of Peyton Colorado - weaverrifles.com/

Stock is a McMillan. Caliber is 300 Win Mag. First load was sub 1/2" MOA. First group at 800 yards - 4 shots 3". I practice at that range, just don't shoot critters that far!

-Cade
www.HuntForeverWest.com

Back