Yeti GOBOX Collection

Back to Work

When my itch to move west got to be more than I could bare, I went to the owner of the company that I’d worked at for 20+ years and told him that I was going to retire and move out west. He said “can’t you do your job from there?”. I said “yes, but I didn’t want to give you an ultimatum.” He said “we’ll make it work.”

I love my job and really don’t think about “retirement” because my work is a huge part of who I am. I’m fortunate that the work does a lot of good in the world and gives me a lot of personal satisfaction. I’ll continue to do it so long as the company continues to see value in what I have to offer.

I was financially prepared to retire at 52, and could still do that today. It actually adds to my job satisfaction that I’m working because I want to vs. feeling like I have to. That’s the one good thing about many of the “post-retirement” jobs mentioned above. You do them because you WANT to. I hope it works out well for you @WyoDoug!

When I was a medical student; I used to dream of retiring ASAP. Now that I’ve been in practice for over a decade, I’ve found my goals shifted as I very much enjoy my work as an anesthesiologist. I wouldn’t mind working in a very part time capacity deep into my 60s and doing a fair amount of overseas medical volunteering. The main job stress for me is the overnight calls, which I can easily get rid of deeper in life. But I feel very blessed to do a job I love and to work with such intelligent and caring people who do amazing things to help people.

I could have stayed with my job as it's all mental. But always away from home in the summer with little to no time off.
Other half did the same thing and he could have stayed but he didn't.
We have everything paid for and live way below our means.
Don't travel and really don't want to.
So if any of you want a great job with good pay and get paid for the view. Become a seasonal fire lookout. June to October work load usually.

I just went through a 14 day shut down at the plant for retooling, I was bored beyond belief even with 4 trips to the river for walleye and steelhead. I just turned 51 and have(had) intentions of retiring at 55. NO WAY, I like to work, I like what I do. There are many projects in our empty nester home that really don’t take much to complete. Love my couch but I can’t sit around without going crazy.

When my itch to move west got to be more than I could bare, I went to the owner of the company that I’d worked at for 20+ years and told him that I was going to retire and move out west. He said “can’t you do your job from there?”. I said “yes, but I didn’t want to give you an ultimatum.” He said “we’ll make it work.”

I love my job and really don’t think about “retirement” because my work is a huge part of who I am. I’m fortunate that the work does a lot of good in the world and gives me a lot of personal satisfaction. I’ll continue to do it so long as the company continues to see value in what I have to offer.

I was financially prepared to retire at 52, and could still do that today. It actually adds to my job satisfaction that I’m working because I want to vs. feeling like I have to. That’s the one good thing about many of the “post-retirement” jobs mentioned above. You do them because you WANT to. I hope it works out well for you @WyoDoug!
I was the opposite job wise. Budget situation with Wyoming as a state employee had a very poor outlook. Wyoming is heavily dependent on mineral royalties for most of it's budget. They badly need to diversify the state's revenue streams. I did not feel secure at all and never new when the boss was going to tell me my position was deleted. Then on top of that, you had to play politics more to keep your job than any effort to DO your job. I was not at all comfortable so it was time to retire job wise.

I have four different sources of retirement income thanks to career changes I had to do getting laid off before and retiring from the military so I have plenty to pay the bills and that, just not much for emergencies and extras like hunting.

2 girls here, and only had 2 issues with "boyfriends". One made threats and found out it wasn't going to fly. The other nearly pissed himself when I came flying up screeching to a halt after a help call from my daughter.

59 and have been eligible to retire from my job since last July. Not enough reserves yet to go with my pension(2, but one doesn't really add up to a car payment) until SS kicks in. Looks like I'm going to wait until I'm 62 and see where I stand at that point. Not opposed to a part-time job to supplement things and get out of the house now and then. Of course, all bets are off after I win the lottery this week! ;)
I had my brother in law threaten my sister once when we were younger. He got warned that if he ever laid a hands on her that he would have to deal with all three of us brothers because we would take turns dishing it out to him. He never did threaten to lay a hand on her again.

I can retire in less than 3 years and will make up my mind as I get closer if I will. I have always wanted to thru hike the AT and my brother in law wants to do the same when he retires 6 months before me. I think I would prefer the CDT because it’s less travelled so that may change. I will go back to work when done and whoever my boss is will understand that I will be gone when I want too and if they like my work I will be back when I am done. My pension will cover all of our living expenses and my wife will still be working.

I can retire in less than 3 years and will make up my mind as I get closer if I will. I have always wanted to thru hike the AT and my brother in law wants to do the same when he retires 6 months before me. I think I would prefer the CDT because it’s less travelled so that may change. I will go back to work when done and whoever my boss is will understand that I will be gone when I want too and if they like my work I will be back when I am done. My pension will cover all of our living expenses and my wife will still be working.

Each summer mid to late August hikers come off the CDT into our town for a nights rest and resupply. We (town folks) pick them up in Benchmark if coming out or take them back up from town. It is just something we do whether heading there or not (two hour round trip). It is not uncommon to have 2 to 4 traveling together. I love chatting with them. Two things stand out;
1. Nearly all started the hike on their own and met the others along the way.
2. Their packs usually weigh in the low 20#. My day pack is nearly that...damn.
If I was able to do one of the three today it would be the CDT.

Each summer mid to late August hikers come off the CDT into our town for a nights rest and resupply. We (town folks) pick them up in Benchmark if coming out or take them back up from town. It is just something we do whether heading there or not (two hour round trip). It is not uncommon to have 2 to 4 traveling together. I love chatting with them. Two things stand out;
1. Nearly all started the hike on their own and met the others along the way.
2. Their packs usually weigh in the low 20#. My day pack is nearly that...damn.
If I was able to do one of the three today it would be the CDT.
That’s awesome that you do that. I have been watching a couple youtubers for years and they always catch rides to town. After backpacking parts of the AT, attending Philmont again in 2019 I definitely have the backpacking itch back.

I've done 3/4 of the PCT and sections of the CDT now that it is in the neighborhood. I did hike 5mi of the AT when I was in DC area to say I did hike part of it.... I can drive a section of the CDT near me and see the hikers and wave. Occationally I will give a couple a ride to town to get supplies or to the PO. Run into them at cafes,store and the PO.
Not taking it up again, nor biking again. I'm downsizing my extreme sports, and work.

Today's job is get trucks registered again and visit with my buddy at the Mill. Maybe get a togo order from Ella's and eat it in the Gila with Rio.

I retired at the end of 2020 so only 3 weeks in but damn I love it so far. Freedom to hike as long as I want, go fishing, go the the farm for days on end. It will be even better in the summer and fall. Don't regret it at all and am happy with the decision I made. I have a huge smile on my face Sunday evening when i know i don't have to go into work the next day.

My goal was to retire at 55 - I made it to 52 when friends and relatives my age were dying (about 5 over a year or so). Several more also had cancer diagnoses. Kind of makes you wonder and think what the hell am I doing watching my life go by from an office?
I now work very part time at my convenience. And enjoying life!

Retired in 2010 at 57. Wife retired in 2017. Not bored. I would be okay with "Nothing to do and all day to do it in and I don't need any help".
But I can't seem to get there though.
I'm busy doing things mostly for friends and family for free. The ones for family hurt financially cause I buy the supplies too.
I don't mind cause we are set financially right now.
But thinking about going back work for a few years and stashing away a bit more cash. Our natural gas royalties (mad money)went in the crapper and what if the whole world does the same and we lose our investments ,ss and pensions.
I also agree with Basil.
My goal was to retire at 55 - I made it to 52 when friends and relatives my age were dying (about 5 over a year or so). Several more also had cancer diagnoses. Kind of makes you wonder and think what the hell am I doing watching my life go by from an office?
I now work very part time at my convenience. And enjoying life!
Lost two of my best friends,heart attack and cancer, since I retired and buried a lot of friends and relatives. Almost all of them were younger than me.

Since I "retired" in 2012 (mandatory age 55), I have continued to work part time for a couple of LE Agencies. I also obtained my state license to spray herbicides (chain saw, backpack sprayer) and battle invasive plants for landowners, delivered car parts for a few months covering for a friend, worked in the maple sugar woods for a few sugar makers, and lead hiking tours for a resort. However, I refuse to work in May (turkeys and walleyes) and September -December (hunting multiple species in multiple states and provinces). My wife and I stash my part time work earnings in a dedicated hunting and fishing fund. What are you doing WyoDoug ?
Interesting, mandatory at age 55. How many years did you have in? I'm guessing the more years in, the greater the percentage in your pension similar to ours. I'm knocking on the door in 2 1/2 years, can't wait. I have a couple of part time jobs in the works already just to keep busy and fund hunting as well.

Since I "retired" in 2012 (mandatory age 55), I have continued to work part time for a couple of LE Agencies. I also obtained my state license to spray herbicides (chain saw, backpack sprayer) and battle invasive plants for landowners, delivered car parts for a few months covering for a friend, worked in the maple sugar woods for a few sugar makers, and lead hiking tours for a resort. However, I refuse to work in May (turkeys and walleyes) and September -December (hunting multiple species in multiple states and provinces). My wife and I stash my part time work earnings in a dedicated hunting and fishing fund. What are you doing WyoDoug ?
Now I can answer this. I turned to cleaning, adjusting, and repairing sewing machines LOL. And they are sending me to some class to be a certified technician. They promised to be flexible with my hunting dates. Keeps me busy. Iffn they mess with my hunting dates, it's their loss at that point. So far, I like what I see on this job. Money from this job goes into savings until hunting time. Anything left after hunting goes into the house. I am not fond of cold winters so I don't do much outdoors and that makes for a boring retirement iffn you don't have something to keep you busy.

36 years of employment with the state. Over those years I was in two different retirement systems. Because of that, my pension is considerably more than the standard 50% of the high 2 years. Wardens and State Police have mandatory age 55 retirement.

36 years of employment with the state. Over those years I was in two different retirement systems. Because of that, my pension is considerably more than the standard 50% of the high 2 years. Wardens and State Police have mandatory age 55 retirement.
That include senior officer positions? Just curious. I always had the impression they applied that rule to the rank and file only. They definitely did in the military.

I retired from my second career in '12 at age 53. I've had offers for part time employment, but I love my freedom too much! Besides, my four daughters also love the outdoors and help keep me busy. :)

Lost my mom, dad and brother within a 9 month period. Then lost a close cousin with in a year of them passing.
Have lost several friends since then. Got tired of always putting the job and everything else before me.
Moved away from where I had lived for over 50 years. One of the best things we ever did.
Fresh start to life no stress, a lot of clean fresh air and I can do what I want when I want.
Most of the time I have to remember to pay the bills. LOL
Each to their own. But glad I'm done with working for my life. I'm more relaxed, dropping weight, dropping blood pressure. Eating correctly and so forth.
Everyone needs to do what they want and how they want. You can't live my life and I can't live yours. DO WHAT YOU WANT!
I thought I'd never quit being a fire lookout. But the BS that the government shoves don't your throat yearly in training got to be too much for me. Everyone talks about the monkey on your back mine felt more like the world.

Doesn’t matter what your position is... at 55 they throw you away like an old Kleenex 🤷‍♂️

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back