Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Back country skis

StHubert

My buddy and I are looking at doing some back country sling for fish in northern Minnesota this winter. Does anyone have advice on what kind of skis to get that we be able to pull sleds with. The terrain is mostly flat. Or would snow shoes be better?
Thanks
Steve

Ski's are more efficient, but I prefer snowshoes. Skiing with a sled can get dangerous real quick on even slight downhills. With practice, I'm sure it can be done with great success, but I just couldn't get the hang of it.

9C48C642-EDF3-4DB5-9C62-4F5AF697F134-6598-000007FD537FC1E3.jpg

Dusting,
Thanks. What is the best way to choose the correct snowshoe. Just go with the one that can handle the most weight?

I chose the one that could handle the most, but you end up with a bigger shoe overall. My wife bought hers based on her weight, and they are much smaller.

If you're buying for bushwacking off trail use, I'd get the smallest shoe/lightest load weight practical for your body+load. If you're going to be on a trail 90+% of the time, the size of the shoe doesn't matter as much. I'm not sure how the load of a sled adds to your actual load weight, but I wouldn't think it adds much. Definitely, considerably less than a pack of the same weight.

Give me skis unless tight timber and steep terrain is in order. Granted, snowshoes allow to use a much more general boot--it's a tradeoff for long distance efficiency. Hard to name a model not knowing your snow conditions, but I'm a big Madshus fan in general for a touring/xc ski. I'd lean Glittertind if on packed snowmobile trails or similar, Eon or Annum if off trail. Old Karhu 10th mountains would suffice as well (same thing as the Madshus Eon). There's some neat stuff out there about long distance touring that might give you some boot/binding/ski ideas, like so: http://thingstolucat.com/2011-winter-classic/

I'm no expert but it's xc ski season for about 8 months where I live and I've read up on things a bit. There's probably someone on here who knows a lot more than I.

Skis in the BWCA sounds like an instant ticket for bad hospital food and long term disability for this guy. My vote is for Snowshoes, then use them for a late season MT cow hunt!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back