Back Country Cargo Trailer Conversion

N

ntodwild

Looking for ideas from those who have done cargo trailer conversions.

Disclaimer:

I am looking to build a 100% Hunting specific 6x12 cargo trailer, "strictly for out of state late season big game hunts in the western states". The idea would be to treat the trailer as a spike camp, heading into town every 4-6 days for a motel/hotel room. We use this very same concept on our in state hunts, tent spike camps and our TT's as a basecamp for an every 4-6 day refresh then back out into the backcountry. The idea is to travel out of state light and quick with the ability to have some comfort deeper into public land during inclement weather. I have watched a million Youtube videos and have seen a million "camper conversion" but this is gonna be a hunting utility trailer hauled into some pretty nasty places during winter months with a well equipped full size 4x4 rig. No need for a toilet or fancy kitchen.

Must haves:

The trailer will be fully insulated, (2)x30 gal LP tanks, 110v/12v, small microwave and a 5cu ft. chest freezer. Heat will be provided by a NuWay propane ice house stove. Probably a spring over axle conversion and 32" tires?

What else would be a must have? Any ideas welcome. Hopefully this thread will help for anyone else considering a backcountry trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:
i made mine a 7x14,,holds 1 quad,spring over and switched to strait axles for a total of 9" higher than stock,,gone into some pretty rough places with it and so far only have smashed the double fold down step once in colorado,,heater ,side couch,game freezer,deep cycle batts 2-6 volt trojans ,inverter,microwave 2 burner cookstove,water and hot water, also propane fridge,,pretty much everything i need,,works well.Ill see if i can get some photos of it posted.

not the best picture ,but i have the refrigerator to the right with the 7 cu ft freezer for elk qtrs below it,,added a 12 volt l e d t v,{only uses 38 watts}for movies at night,,craftsman tool box for my kitchen drawers,,stovetop,micro and sink all at the front,,added midwest racing aluminum cabinets throughout,couple of windows,,and was pretty handy with diamond plate aluminum instead of wood,,whole tlr even loaded with all gear and quad weighs in at about 4000lb,,tows easy.i have a small bathroom and holding tank added,as well as a outside shower setup,,added 3 solar panels and a batt controller too,,pretty much as fully self contained as anything,,even a small a/c unit,,but weigh in at a fraction of what a big toy hauler would normally weigh.

here is a pic of my project camp trailer,,took a while to build but came out nice,,
Looks like a pole bunk setup as well. I am guessing the couch is a scissor style goucho that turns into a bed? I currently have one that will be used on my trailer build as they fit perfectly across a 6' trailer. Looks like your build would serve you well for multiple uses. I am hoping to stay below 3000lbs loaded (not looking to haul ATV in it. strictly a living/sleeping space). I have a double ATV rack on the truck if ATv's are needed.

As we have found over the years a chest freezer is one of the most helpful things to have in the backcountry (started bringing one about 7yrs ago). Our typical TT camp every year has a 6x12 Cargo trailer in it that we use as a cold storage locker with a commercial refer unit as well as a 7Cu ft chest freezer (We can hang meat in it during hot Sept months without issue). Chest freezer is an absolute must in my build, both for ice storage, frozen foods as well as processing and storing meat without having to leave the hunting area (our in state camp is in place for a month every Sept and is pretty deep so coming out often for ice is not that easy). I am going to go with a 5 Cu ft. to save a bit of space in my 12' build. Many of our out of state hunts are multi 2-3week ventures. The key concept of my build is strictly about traveling light without having to haul my 26ft TT (not pleasant in inclement winter weather nor has the ability to get in deep to public land hunting areas with snow, mud and nasty backroads). Our hunt style has much to do with the build as well. We have learned that long hunts require "recharge days" so a hotel room once a week for a recharge is a must and does wonders for the spirit, restocking and charging the human battery, allowing longer hunts and trips.

Here is the current sketch for the build as it stands. Nothing to crazy. Just a comfy place to sleep, prep a meal, coffee and stay dry. The Front 10ft of the 12ft trailer will be walled off and used as the living area. The back 2' will all be highly organized storage with double doors, not a ramp. Disregard the 3x6 notation. It will be a 2x6 but this is the basic lay out as it stands. Bottom bunk will be a scissor/goucho style couch and top bunk I have not decide on yet but have plenty of ideas floating around in my head. Not being a tall person as well as my hunting partner allows for bed placement across the trailer with 6' span (more like 5'10").

63572460558__5A2AB92B-887B-43F8-8FFE-8D7205F44295.jpg63572450308__B7141E30-28BA-4614-98DB-692059F7294A.jpg

Make sure you get a trailer with a RV door on it and install a window as a secondary exit point in case of fire. You don’t want to be inside when some ass hat puts a stick in the lock clasp.

Here is mine:

6 feet wide is not long enough for many people to sleep. If you are 5'10", that means you have an inch on either end....not comfy. I would look at going wider if you can. Mine is 8.5 feet wide and I love that additional room.

Not sure how much web searching you've done, but there is another forum dedicated to Expedition/Overland adventures. There is a trailer section of that forum with many DIY builds in it, several of which are exactly what you are talking about. Since these folks are all looking at using their equipment for rough, out of the way adventures, you'll likely find more ideas than you can handle with a bit of searching.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/expedition-and-overland-trailers-diy-custom.153/

(MODS - apologies if this is against the rules here. Feel free to remove if so.)

i agree w mt elknut,,you might want to go 7 ft wide for sleeping comfort,,ive been on many blm 2 tracks with my set up at 7 ft wide,,i also got my tlr with the front v nose for a little more space inside,,you might want to check out midwest racings website,,there aluminum cabinet kits are what i used and have a fair amout of sizes and configurations for the d i y er,,they are pretty nice.of course start out with complete tear down and fully insulate to start.configure your wiring needs/battery charger/rv converter set up //propane needs//water needs//remember water tank is heavy for balance as well as batterys//then cabinets and rest of interior is how i did it.i have a secondary cot bed using 2 pipes and heavy canvas made for the rear of mine as a 2nd bed and also handy for using as storage for duffle bags,ect that works well and is light.

6 feet wide is not long enough for many people to sleep. If you are 5'10", that means you have an inch on either end....not comfy.
Totally agree with you if I were 5'10 or anyone I hunt with was tall. Not an issue in my case. Ive thought of a 14' trailer, 10ft and a 12ft but have landed on a 6x12 for the "just the right size". Weight and size are a concern in the build as I not only need the trailer to be towed by a full size diesel rig as well as a 6cil. Toyota or jeep. In my case I own a 26' Arctic Fox TT for full comfort trips. This build is truly for a specific need and although sacrifices will be made to accommodate much of the build, width of the trailer is one I can live with (lets hear it for the short folks).

i thoght about a stove in mine but it takes alot of room,,so i went with a outside vented propane heater,,{i believe its "ashley"} made for small rooms in a house but it has been working good in my trailer down to 0 degrees f,,11000 btu i think it is w no annoying fan blower.

my traier started out at $6000 bare new tlr,,and ive lost track of total cost but estimate im at somewhere around 12000 or more now with all the bells and whistles,,refridge was $800 for a new 5 cu ft one,,and i know i spent some money on the aluminum diamond plate and cabinets.i found some of my stuff at a local rv surpluss place in my area.

i agree w mt elknut,,you might want to go 7 ft wide for sleeping comfort,,ive been on many blm 2 tracks with my set up at 7 ft wide,,i also got my tlr with the front v nose for a little more space inside,,you might want to check out midwest racings website,,there aluminum cabinet kits are what i used and have a fair amout of sizes and configurations for the d i y er,,they are pretty nice.of course start out with complete tear down and fully insulate to start.configure your wiring needs/battery charger/rv converter set up //propane needs//water needs//remember water tank is heavy for balance as well as batterys//then cabinets and rest of interior is how i did it.i have a secondary cot bed using 2 pipes and heavy canvas made for the rear of mine as a 2nd bed and also handy for using as storage for duffle bags,ect that works well and is light.
I really like the pipe bunk and am seriously considering as a top bunk/storage. Thanks for the suggestion on midwest racing. Any comments on comfort for the pipe bunk?

I don’t have a lot to add, but I started the process last year to do the same. I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer I use for goose decoys and ice fishing mainly. Last year I decided to start doing the same as you. We had a guy spray foam insulate the whole thing basically, including the underside. I have a lot of work to do, but it worked great. My wife and I used it to stay in for the MT elk opener last year. It was windy and got down to -10 at one point. We stayed warm with a generator and electric heater. Need to figure out a vent system though. Lol

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back