AZ Couse Tactics

I almost picked up that tag, but decided to just focus on OTC archery instead. I haven't hunted that unit but I have hunted 29 which is right in the middle of it, you should be able to find some deer if you're willing to work at it a bit.
I used to carry 12x50 binos and the 11-33x50 razor spotter. I found myself never using the spotter for coues, I'm not a trophy hunter though. This year I'll be using a pair of 15x56 binos on my tripod and 10x42s on my chest.

Be mentally prepared to stay in one spot and glass,glass,glass. If you're in a good area there are likely many deer that you aren't seeing even after an hour or two of glassing.
I hesitate to bring this up because everyone has different ideas about what is ethical; but it seems like for me the best coues bucks are always on the other side of a big canyon...in other words longer shots. If you're comfortable with 500-600yds shots you're going to increase your chances.

Good luck!

Very True above. Glass and Glass more . And when your done Glassing an area ,do it again. Folks that never hunted these Critters don't understand. And long shots help if You can. Then You get hooked on em..And if Your serious get some 15's, forget the spotter. The better Glass the better .....................BOB!

Last edited:
While I can appreciate the sentiment of not needing/wanting a spotting scope for Coues unless you care about points; I find my Razor 11-33x50 well worth the weight.
I have used a friend's Leupold Mark 4 12-40x60 to spot a Coues at 5.25-5.5 miles(lucky spot as it crossed in the open) and have on many occasions spotted Coues at 2-4 miles with the Razor 11-33x50.
I use and really like the Leupold BX4 12x50s, but in good light conditions a small spotting scope can help pick apart bedding areas pushing a mile and open areas way further out than I want to walk.
That all being said, I'm not very sensitive about the weight of my pack. My perspective may change over time as I care more about how much I carry, but in the mean time I might as well take advantage of having extra toys on hand.

As for water, AZGFD has a mapping tool on their website...HabiMap...which is a great resource. Locate the water sources and plug in their coordinates on your OnX.
Their “where to hunt” info is also beneficial for areas to scout within a specific unit (or to avoid...depends on your interpretation).
Inciweb is a good website for past and present burn info.

As a general rule-of-thumb (and weather-dependent), glass East-facing slopes in the early morning, North-facing slopes in midday, and West-facing slopes in the afternoon.

Keep your face into the breeze, the sun at your back, and noise to a minimum. And avoid “skylining” yourself on ridge tops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back