Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

AZ Archery Elk Strategy?

02bfishn

Have been trying to understand the AZ system with some success (I think?), but what I think I get out of it is that without mucho points (I have none), a NR like me doesn’t have a prayer. If I want to hunt one day – buck up for the NR license each year (ouch) and start accumulating points.

My son is a Resident. The desire is to hunt with him, ideally it would be great for both to have tags, but if he just got one – I am great with that. I would be a happy Dad just running the camera. Just getting him out there for the experience and hopefully hear some vocal bulls would be worth the price of admission.

If we were to put in together, with me as a NR, him as a Res, and both having no points, does that effectively kill his chances of a draw (until points are built up).

So, is my thinking right to put him in as a Res by himself, presuming he at least stands a chance while he is accumulating points? Another way to say it is, is putting him in as a Res by himself give “us” the best chance of someone getting a tag?

Thanks all in advance for your comments / help. It wasn’t until recently that I started thinking its time to think about getting back west for some hunting that I found this forum – actually as a result of the BEST hunting show on the tube – what an awesome resource – tons of knowledge – thanks Randy and all.

Can't really help you with your question, but if either of you can get a tag for 6A archery elk just to the southeast of Flagstaff, you will have a ball. I was there the entire 2 week season last September helping my Wyoming buddy who drew the tag and we were into elk 13 of the 14 days. It should be even better this year with the season moved back a week to hit the rut better. Be prepared for people there though because of the number of tags issued, but it was worth it.

Every unit has a different level at which you will be in the max pool. You need to print out the stats and try to determine where that level is for each unit. You then need to determine which units, if any, have NR tags remaining after the 20% bonus point draw. Those will be the only units you have a statistical chance at drawing. Of those remaining units, you will need to determine how many res/NR applicants there are and couple that with the quantity of "total" tags remaining to get an idea of your odds. Taking into account, you will be locked out if those few remaining NR tags are taken.
Your Achilles heel is the 10% NR cap being in place for all draws, the initial 20% bonus draw and then the regular 1st-2nd choice draw.

I will tell you that for NR Archery 2011, there were only 4 units with any measurable tags remaining after the 20% bonus draw.

To up your chances, you should apply separately. Take a look at the regs and draw data. There are tags you have a chance to draw even as a non-resident. Your son will most likely draw before you. He gets a chance at 80% of the tags in the random draw pool. Last year, I drew a premium unit with only one point. I was tag #13 of 15.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back