ATV carburetor adjustment for altitude?

338 win mag

We will be taking a couple of atv's on our Wyoming trip this year from NC. Will the carburetors need adjusting for the altitude change. Going from roughly 1000ft to 9000ft elevation.

I didn't NOTICE much difference when I took mine to Idaho. Live at around 600, went up to 7-8000 I suppose.

I didn't NOTICE much difference when I took mine to Idaho. Live at around 600, went up to 7-8000 I suppose.
I was hoping that would be the case. Not like we're gonna be racing them or anything

I took my boat up to 10,000ft from 4,000. I was able to adjust the jets in to keep it from running too rich but it ended up running just fine with very minimal adjustment although I could detect a little loss in power.

I’ve never adjusted any of the stuff we take but wished I had. I had a Honda on board generator on the trailer that was almost impossible to start one year and the quad We use on the rough roads was the same scenario. Both manuals recommended rejetting but we never did in the past so didn’t bother. Both were running really rich and like total garbage. Anything that’s not EFI I will take the time to tune now. That was going from 1100 to 10k feet.

If your ATV's use a constant velocity carburetor it will compensate for several thousand feet elevation change but not what you'll encounter. Friends and I used to ride over some of the old barely passable passes in Colorado on motorbikes and if you didn't rejet for the highest ones the bikes wouldn't pull a greasy string out of a cat's butt.

At that altitude - IMO, you are going to want to jet them... It may run OK for a bit but you are going to run rich and eventually have problems. A good friend was in CO one year with someone that didn't rejet and he ran for a while but one longer trip from camp he barly made it back - no power and it was bogging down - his ATV was out of commision the rest of the trip.

Certainly one of the benefits if you have EFI - just drive..

At that altitude - IMO, you are going to want to jet them... It may run OK for a bit but you are going to run rich and eventually have problems. A good friend was in CO one year with someone that didn't rejet and he ran for a while but one longer trip from camp he barly made it back - no power and it was bogging down - his ATV was out of commision the rest of the trip.

Certainly one of the benefits if you have EFI - just drive..

I agree. I live at 3,200' and had one ATV that would start puking at about 9,500' I had to rejet. I'd probably just buy the jets and know how to install them, if necessary. It's not too hard. Also make sure your air cleaners are clean or replace them. It will make a difference when the air starts getting thin..

my yamaha ran with stock jetting to 10000 ft,but was running a bit rich and blubering,,,your probly ok to 9000 ft but you may want leaner jets if your going 10000+,,mine was a kodiak 500 2006 yr//good luck//carry a spare plug or 2 with ya

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back