Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Asshat GOP Legislature in Utah Giving up on ALC Snake Oil Lawsuit

JoseCuervo

Donald Trump becoming president has apparently quenched much of the fire in the belly for legislative Republicans to sue the federal government for control of public lands.

What started out as a somewhat fiery resolution to pursue such a lawsuit was amended Friday into a more friendly call to work with the new administration and the GOP-controlled Congress for the same goal.

It calls for a lawsuit only if no progress is made over time.

"There's been some modifications with the change in the political landscape," said House Resources Committee Keven Stratton, R-Orem, the sponsor of HCR1. The committee last summer had endorsed an original version of the resolution that was gung-ho on a state lawsuit despite a price tag estimated at $14 million.

The much-toned-down resolution was held in committee Friday at Stratton's request to allow more work on it, but he said he wanted to release the general changes to allow review and comment.

Linky-Link To the SL Trib Article

And a great editorial blasting the Asshats in the UTah legislature that even entertained the idea....

It's not a change of heart that led to the decision. It was a change in administrations. With President Donald Trump signaling a deregulated and fossil-fuel-friendly federal government, legislators are now considering a resolution that says they will take their chances on their absentee landlords back in Washington.

Yes, that seems to undermine the basis for the estimated $14 million lawsuit. If this really was an issue of state sovereignty, why would it matter who is president? It's as transparent as Californians now pushing for secession. But this is also the kind of practical decision that Utahns would like to see more of, even if legislators haven't committed to completely giving up the fight or halting payments to the expensive lawyers they engaged.

And discusses the pack of lies that Snake Oil salesman Ken Ivory was selling to the naive faithful...

Back in the days of federal tyranny (2015), Rep. Ken Ivory sold the lawsuit as a way to address Utah's per-pupil shortfall, which he estimated would take $2.5 billion per year to bring us up to the national average. Not a chance. Even if legislators sold off land in big chunks, something they have pledged not to do, the resulting money wouldn't produce that much sustained income.

And for those who don't think the Outdoor Retailers got somebody's attention....
Speaking of selling off land, even the name of this year's legislative resolution is an acknowledgement that the legislators have a public relations problem in the post-Outdoor Retailer era. While last year's resolution on this was simply called "Concurrent resolution on public lands litigation," this year's version is called "Concurrent resolution to secure the perpetual health and vitality of Utah's public lands and its status as a premier public lands state."

Linky-link to the SL Trib Editorial Worth reading, give them a click.

In my opinion after the election they now think they have a better chance of Congress giving the land to the states then they do of winning this lawsuit.
Also in my opinion they would be correct.
This will be won or lost in Congress.

In my opinion they are seeing signs recognizing states rights and state involvement which has relaxed everyone. Dropping the Pottie Police directive from the feds is a good indication this administration doesn't want to be involved on things they don't need to.

Even had a great conversation at HuntExpo last week with a board member for our state trust lands. General feeling is multiple use - protection - public access is possible.

In my opinion they are seeing signs recognizing states rights and state involvement which has relaxed everyone. Dropping the Pottie Police directive from the feds is a good indication this administration doesn't want to be involved on things they don't need to.

Do you really think that HR622 (removing LEO's from FS and BLM) is good for public land management and that your country sheriff's department is really going to do a good job enforcing laws related to public lands, especially in areas where the sheriff has expressed dislike of public lands? My experience seeing current county deputies working on forest contracts was lots of playing around on ATV's or getting paid to drive around with a rifle in the county vehicle with them during hunting season in case they saw something to kill.

It amazes me that every time Tequila posts something, he has to make sure it is political, instead of just calling idiots, idiots. Typical libtard thought process.

It amazes...nevermind.

The sheriff here will do nothing on these lands if told to,and do a good job of it.
7500sq miles covered by a small force(8,5 deputies) in the least populated & poorest counties in the state.

Do you really think that HR622 (removing LEO's from FS and BLM) is good for public land management and that your country sheriff's department is really going to do a good job enforcing laws related to public lands, especially in areas where the sheriff has expressed dislike of public lands? My experience seeing current county deputies working on forest contracts was lots of playing around on ATV's or getting paid to drive around with a rifle in the county vehicle with them during hunting season in case they saw something to kill.

What I stated is the Trump administration has shown signs of focusing on federal issues and letting states handle state issues. Public lands which are federal would need federal management including law enforcement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back