Caribou Gear Tarp

Asking a favor from Montana Guys

Blacktailbc

I know there are a lot of Montana guys on here, and I'm asking for a little help. I have a couple of good buddies up there hunting, they are really good guys. Not trophy hunting, just looking for a couple deer. They texted me that they can't even find a whitetail doe. They are staying at the Fleecer Cabin, south of Butte about 15 miles. I know it is not a great area for deer, but they are willing to travel some to get into some game. If any of the Montana members have any ideas, they will be all ears.
Thanks,
Buck

Tell them to keep eyes out for Moose I have the permit in 319. Best bet for whitetails that I know of is to head more towards the central part of the state. Lots of whitetail around the Great Falls area

Where they are at, I didn't see a single whitetail in five days of hunting. Only a few mule deer at that. But it's a controlled hunt for Muleys so that does not do them much good.

Well I just looked at the maps to try and help your buddies out. I've never hunted this spot personally, but BMA number 48 south of deer lodge might not be a horrible spot to try
Not too far away from where they are at and more of your typical river bottom whitetail habitat. I know there are a lot of whitetail north of there but in a bow only area. Might be worth a shot for your buddies. By the way, BMA is private land that FWP pays for landowners to open to public hunting. So it can be productive especially of you aren't looking for a monster. This is a shot in the dark but it would probably be more productive than where they are at.

http://fwp.mt.gov/export/blockManagementMaps/r2/48_Upper_Clark_Fk_2016.pdf

Thanks for the replies. Forgot to mention, they have big game combo tags + whitetail doe tags.

I wouldn't be hunting whitetails in HD 319. The handful that are there are down in the willow bottoms on private land. I'd hunt the Bitterroot north if I wanted to find a whitetail, and I'd wait til the rut.

Just wanted to say thanks to the guys that helped out, and offered information. My buddies scored on a couple does and a small 3 pt muley. They had a great time, and were thankful for the help. It was tough conditions, but they made the best of it. Again, thanks.
I will post a pic as soon as they send me one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back