Ashland, MT

Jon Boy

Hey fellas, I'm moving to Ashland in march for 6 months of work. I know its the middle of no where E. MT :D, but I'm looking forward to it and it seems there should be plenty of outdoor recreation to be had!
I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for things to do out there?

I plan on turkey hunting pretty heavily through out the spring, while more or less scouting for potential areas to elk hunt there during archery this fall (hoping to draw archery 900 tag as a first choice with 0 points?) I know next to nothing about turkey hunting but plan on covering lots of ground in areas I plan on elk hunting and maybe I'll pick up a shed or two.

Any info on fishing the tongue river? Do the upper stretches towards the resavoir hold trout?
I've fished the big horn several times so I plan on making some trips over there through out the spring.

Trying to get a feel for the area so any input is appreciated!

Hey fellas, I'm moving to Ashland in march for 6 months of work. I know its the middle of no where E. MT :D, but I'm looking forward to it and it seems there should be plenty of outdoor recreation to be had!
I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for things to do out there?

I plan on turkey hunting pretty heavily through out the spring, while more or less scouting for potential areas to elk hunt there during archery this fall (hoping to draw archery 900 tag as a first choice with 0 points?) I know next to nothing about turkey hunting but plan on covering lots of ground in areas I plan on elk hunting and maybe I'll pick up a shed or two.

Any info on fishing the tongue river? Do the upper stretches towards the resavoir hold trout?
I've fished the big horn several times so I plan on making some trips over there through out the spring.

Trying to get a feel for the area so any input is appreciated!

There are two roadless areas in the national forest that work worth checking out. The tongue River breaks, and cook mountain. I have been in a small portion of Cook mountain, but not really a notice to give any advice.
Do you mind me asking what kind of work you do? Ashland isnt exactly a mecca of economic opportunity these days. I lived there when I was a very little child. My dad was the superintendent at That old lumber mill

Great warmwater fishing at Tongue Reservoir, including crappie, walleye, and smallmouth bass. The trout fishing in the tailwater is good, although it's not near the secret it was 15 years ago. Access is decent.

Plenty of good turkey hunting, and there is some good upland bird hunting in certain spots.

PM me when you get there and I'll fill you in more.

Shoot Coyotes. One thing you won't be doing there, looking at a lot of nice looking Montana Women, and I thought Wisconsin was bad.

Hope you like plain domestic beer. The selection of beer in town was funny compared to other places these days.

I didn't travel all the way to Montana to have a Kewers. :D

I can get a Big Sky IPA in Palmer Alaska but not Ashland Montana:confused:

There are two roadless areas in the national forest that work worth checking out. The tongue River breaks, and cook mountain. I have been in a small portion of Cook mountain, but not really a notice to give any advice.
Do you mind me asking what kind of work you do? Ashland isnt exactly a mecca of economic opportunity these days. I lived there when I was a very little child. My dad was the superintendent at That old lumber mill

Thanks for the heads up on those areas. First place my eyes were drawn too after looking at the MVUM for the forest. I'll be working for the forest service.

Great warmwater fishing at Tongue Reservoir, including crappie, walleye, and smallmouth bass. The trout fishing in the tailwater is good, although it's not near the secret it was 15 years ago. Access is decent.

Plenty of good turkey hunting, and there is some good upland bird hunting in certain spots.

PM me when you get there and I'll fill you in more.

Sounds good Jason. Ill shoot you a pm or give you a call when I get out there.

Some of the people you will be working have spent years on the Custer and know it well.
The trout fishing under the dam is hit and miss. If you miss you will think there is not a trout in the river, if you hit it is as good as it gets.
Eighty six percent of the Custer is within one mile of a forest approved road. If you count roads that are on private land next to the forest and roads that are not open but people still sneak on, that 86 % is likely closer to 92 - 95 %. It is hard to get very far form the roads and with so little road less ground it doesn't take may walkers for the road less places to get crowded
Hope you have a good time during your stay. Plenty of outdoor opportunities. Just don't expect high class accommodations.

Back