Caribou Gear

arrows??? help

huntrluvr

Just bought my hubby a new Bear Monster Buck bow for his birthday. Now he says he needs new arrows to go with his new bow. What's the difference(besides cost) between carbon and aluminum arrows. What to you reccomend?
Thanks!!

Some of the major differences memory, weight, and preference.

Aluminum arrows will bend and not go back to original shape unless an arreow straightner of some sort is used, often not bringing the arrow back to the same tollerence as before. Carbon arrows when under certain circumstances where an aluminum aroow would bend 'flex' back to original form without the use of machinery. On the downside where an aluminum aroow would sometimes bend a carbon arrow may splinter, crack or shatter.

Aluminum arrows are for the most part heavier than carbon. This has a good side and a bad side to it, one good side being you'll get better penetration with a heavier shaft and it will deflect less than a lighter arrow if you meet the undesireable hidden twig. Because carbon arrows are for the most part lighter they will shoot at a more level path and at a higher speed. This results in having to use less yardage pins, and takes a little bit of the guess work out of yardages. On the down side a carbon arrow wont produce the kinetic energy of a heavier aluminum shaft.

Lastly comes preference. I know people who swear by carbons and others by aluminum, and some that use carbons for 3d shoots and aluminum for hunting. It all depends on the conditions and hunting/shooting situations you will encounter. Ask your hubby what he likes!

Good gift!

huntrluvr-

I just made the change to carbons after years of using aluminum shafts. Ended up finding a fella that will make up Gold Tip carbons (Hunter 55/75) for about $50 a dozen delivered to my house. That includes 4" fletching (3), inserts (installed), GT lock-nocks, and he'll cut the arrows to length!

Can't beat that IMHO!
Email me if you want his name ~MarvB

P.S. GREAT GIFT!! Ya gotta any sisters
:confused:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>On the downside where an aluminum arrow would sometimes bend a carbon arrow may splinter, crack or shatter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arm[1].jpg

i cant say that ive ever seen this happen with aluminums, which im sure it has, but i have seen it alot more since carbons! the choice is yours! i own both and have shot both but still lean towards aluminun, just my personal pref.!!

OUCH,
DKO, what do you mean by you have seen more of this with carbon arrows?
I guess im missing something LOL

what ive seen is the popularity of carbons increasing and alot of people are shooting entirely to much draw weight for the spine of the shaft which causes severe flex in the arrow as it leaves the bow, any imperfections in the shaft will be amplified and any cracks can cause this exact thing to happen!

the fad these days is flat shooting fast bows (flat trajectory) which results in very light to too light of an arrow to shot from a heavy bow! the newer technology in cabons ( the weave ) has taken alot of the previous problems of splintering away but isnt always a cure for mismatched equipment!

when i was shooting for high country we never saw this kinda stuff unitl the birth of carbons, once in a blue moon we would see this from overdraws but never from underspined aluminums, just my .02 hope it helps, keep in mind that im very partial to aluminum arrows!:D:D:D

Oh OK ,now I get it.
I understand that LOL you had me lost at first.
Thats a good lead in to help any new shooters out there.
Get good help,there is sooooo much to getting a bow all set up YOU.

WOW!!! I had no idea how much went into purchasing arrows for a bow. Looks like a purchase my hubby is gonna have to make since he is the one that is gonna be shooting the arrows. Thanks so much to everyone for all of the indepth comments and info provided.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back