Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Army surplus Remington 700

chevyman181

Hello All, my wife has a Remington 700 in 30-06. She was told her grandfather bought it in the 40s as an Army surplus rifle. I just wondering if anyone had any information on these or knows where I can find any. I attached the serial number below. In my quick Google search I could find were the Army used them around that time.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220831_175603404_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220831_175603404_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 128
Hello All, my wife has a Remington 700 in 30-06. She was told her grandfather bought it in the 40s as an Army surplus rifle. I just wondering if anyone had any information on these or knows where I can find any. I attached the serial number below. In my quick Google search I could find were the Army used them around that time.

Thanks
Checkering looks like a 70s model ADL. Appears to be pressed. BDL's had pressed checkering early on, then I believe the early 70's they started using cut checkering. Then in the late 70's or early 80s they went to "skip line" checkering. Best bet is to look up the barrel code on google and you can figure out month and year of manufacture.

What Bambi said. I have a 70s gun. Very similar. View attachment 237256
After tours in Vietnam was stationed at Ft Lewis spring of 1971, so went to BX at McChord AFB and purchased a post-Nam gift for myself which is a Remington 700 in 7mm RM.
That rifle has served me well over the decades, taking innumerable deer, elk, and antelope. It shows its vintage a bit, but is protected by a Cerakote finish now.

Last edited:
What the wife's Grandad probably bought was a surplus 1917 Enfield made by Remington. I owned one made by Eddystone and it was a very accurate rifle...heavy, but accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back