Arizona Unit 23 Late Archery Elk

I live here in Arizona have been scouting the last couple months. Not that it really matters as the rut stirs everything up. However I know some canyons they are for sure to hold up in and seen them last year in during my itc deer hunt. I have a good idea on where to hunt I have a lot of e scouting done as well once I'm able to message I have some coordinates for you. This hunt will definitely consist of sitting water if your hunting the northern part of the unit as it's so thick. I have a lot of water holes that are in remote canyons that hold elk post rut. Don't get me wrong the northern part of the unit has glassing areas like up on parts of the rim looking down however spot and stalk is hard with the thick Forrest one moment you see them and next they are gone.
If you are available when I'm out in October and want to do some scouting together after the rut is over, I'd love to meet up. I'm thinking the weekend of the 21st and probably that Monday and Tuesday. The rim seems tempting from what I've heard, but I'm also interested in some of the deep pockets in the south end too. Hence, why I'm looking to see it in person before November. Talk to you soon!

Looks like you have the support you need on this hunt. I just got a call from the AZFGD and I will be hunting this season as well! I am scrambling a bit since this was not something I planned, but I will be able to scout the week prior to the hunt.
I will also be going solo, so let me know if you end up needing some support. (plans change) I am hearing that this unit is extremely dry this year. They had a phenomenal winter last year (e.g. horn growth will be good), but virtually no monsoon and 30+ days over 110 degrees. Water may be the key this year. I hope you were able to get out in October to get a feel for the area!

Looks like you have the support you need on this hunt. I just got a call from the AZFGD and I will be hunting this season as well! I am scrambling a bit since this was not something I planned, but I will be able to scout the week prior to the hunt.
I will also be going solo, so let me know if you end up needing some support. (plans change) I am hearing that this unit is extremely dry this year. They had a phenomenal winter last year (e.g. horn growth will be good), but virtually no monsoon and 30+ days over 110 degrees. Water may be the key this year. I hope you were able to get out in October to get a feel for the area!
The first 3 days of the hunt are expected to rain keep an eye on that weather if it does indeed rain those 3 days water will be everywhere 23 is full of washways and lots of slopes. The water will be in every drainage. I've hunted this unit multiple times and know for sure if it rains water will be in the deep holes the elk will hold up in.

If you are available when I'm out in October and want to do some scouting together after the rut is over, I'd love to meet up. I'm thinking the weekend of the 21st and probably that Monday and Tuesday. The rim seems tempting from what I've heard, but I'm also interested in some of the deep pockets in the south end too. Hence, why I'm looking to see it in person before November. Talk to you soon!
Sorry I didn't see this I haven't been on here much I had a mule deer hunt as well I had to plan for. Unfortunately it's a little past October lol. But I hope you got out and got a feel for the area. And yes the sound end is a good area as well. I'm all ready to go for next week I'm going to be up there a couple days before opener. Likely Wednesday night. Ill make sure to check back in to see if you replied as I won't have service up there.

Sorry I didn't see this I haven't been on here much I had a mule deer hunt as well I had to plan for. Unfortunately it's a little past October lol. But I hope you got out and got a feel for the area. And yes the sound end is a good area as well. I'm all ready to go for next week I'm going to be up there a couple days before opener. Likely Wednesday night. Ill make sure to check back in to see if you replied as I won't have service up there.
I did get out there in October. Found some decent sign and located a couple of elk. But nothing in the way of the type of glassing opportunities I thought I would have with my virtual scouting. It's definitely dry. I haven't been on HuntTalk much since I've been focusing on my family and work responsibilities to be able to leave for 2 weeks. I'm heading out in the morning (So I missed the first couple days of the season). I'll be staying for the first couple of days at either the Colcord campground or Valentine campground. If you're up there, let me know and we can touch base to compare notes!

Yeah, I got some good intel from actually seeing it in person. I talked to quite a few people who were out on the cow elk hunt while I was out there. I was out there for 5 days and got a pretty good feel for the unit and got to experience the areas that seem like they are going to be the best parts of the unit to hunt with archery gear. It's going to be a tough archery hunt for sure!!! But I'm planning to spend now until the end of the season if I need to. Here's hoping to filling a tag!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back