Yeti GOBOX Collection

Arizona late dove hunt

azcharlie

Is anyone going out this weekend. I plan on taking two of my grandsons out. It looks like I will have to find another new spot this year. They just keep building new homes in all my good spots. Three years ago I could hunt 5 min. from my house. Now I have to drive at least an hour. Maybe even farther this year. How many of your spots are gone due to development.

LMAO Russ :D

We have a lot of growth here, but it is compressed within the existing town and county. We are surounded by National Forest and National Parks. Can't say that I have lost any hunting areas since I have been here, 13 plus years.

Oh chit dont get me started. ooops too late. I have lost tons of hunting spots in the last 6-7 years. There is a high school and a big ass yuppie shopping center (Desert Ridge) on my old quail hunting grounds, still more of my quail areas have been turned into sub divisions. Our best dove spots in chandler and the west valley have all been developed or are too close to houses to hunt. we used to jump shoot ponds for ducks in what is now Phoenix and discharge of firearms are prohibited even though there are no houses for 3 miles. The McDowell Mountains are all closed due to Scottsdale expect the crappy part. Scottsdale has annexed so far north that you can’t even hunt the south side of the Bartlett lake road anymore. One of the best deer spots in the state was closed this year due to the rich yuppies in Cave Creek whining and threatening frivolous lawsuits. The AZ Game and Fish are a bunch of spineless losers and they did nothing to help the sportsmen in that issue. My good buddy shot a big 3x4 this January and it ran onto private property. The landowners refused to let us get the deer. we called game and fish, landowners called the sheriff. The landowners swore he shot the deer on their property, which is bullshit. The landowners also claimed "arrows were whizing by their heads" my buddy only shot once and it made a clean pass through right into the ground atleast 500 yards from their property. We showed the sheriff and game and fish the spot where he was shot, found the arrow and followed the blood trail a little over a quarter of a mile and crossed onto these assholes property. The game and fish and the sheriff agreed it was a legal shot and told us to wait off the property while they retrieved the deer. The game and fish officer Casey Cooper (fuggin loser) comes back and says he will be confiscating my buddies bow and deer and will be writing him a ticket for wasting game meat. WTF That is total bullchit but Casey Cooper (bitch) said since he was taking the deer it would go to waste and since the homeowners said he shot it on their property it was his fault that the animal is being wasted. This was all said as the homeowners watched and got satisfaction. we had already proved the animal was shot legally but still got screwed. An hour later as we are talking lawsuit we get a call from Casey Cooper (pussy) to come pick up the deer and rip up the citation. He flat out admitted he did that just to please the homeowners, and that there was nothing to give a ticket for so he had to give the deer back. He then said he wished he could have kept his bow and gear, and written him a ticket because he doesnt feel like dealing with these problems. This guy is a poor excuse for a game officer, and it goes to show they care more about the stink rich yuppies will make than they do about the sportsmen that pay their salary. After this happened the landowners started raising hell and got the whole area closed. Again due to the Game and Fish playing slave to the rich assholes that dont give a damn about them. Last year I could drive 15 minutes and hunt 150-200 inch mulies. Now they are turning into pets because these assholes feed them and all the deer in the legal areas move into the closed area for the rut because there are so many "pet" does in the area. :mad: This January was the end of hunting out there and we all took good bucks with our bows. I shot a 24 inch wide 4x4 my buddy took a 29 inch 3x4 another shot a 25 inch 3x3 and the biggest was a non typical 6x7 about 26 wide. The biggest 2 bucks in the area never got shot. Another guy we didnt know shot a massive 4x4 around 28 wide. All this within a 5 square mile area and there are still tons of big bucks out there. If anyone is interested in photographing some real monsters up close let me know I have nothing to hide anymore. OK I need to breathe now just thinking about this crap pisses me off. Those homowners are getting platter of gut pile on the doorstep for christmas this year.

Givem Hell FEW. Yeah almost all my good spots are gone too. All the farms and stuff west of town that was a few minutes from home are all subdivisions now. Even my favorite hog farm has been engulfed and the city wont let us shoot there any more. Even the property owner is pissed and theres nothing he can do but get mad.

J.D.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-20-2002 11:41: Message edited by: 2fastnaz ]</font>

Gosh that was long I must type real fast when im pissed.

FEW I heard about the problem you had in Cave Creek and that they wanted to make some changes in that area. But no one seems to know what is closed or open. It sounds like you just might have been keeping up with what is going on. Do you know what is open or any changes in the regs for that area. I hunt out that way once in a while. I would sure hate to upset one of those ( I got mine to hell with everyone else) yuppies

It is a pretty small area that was affected and most likely not the area you hunted, as we almost never saw other hunters in there. Ill be glad to share though. The Game and Fish agreed to close portions of the area that are private land whether its posted or not. The reg says:
"Hunting is not permitted in Unit 42M in the following described area: the private lands north of the Town of Cave Creek in Sections 10, 11, 12, 14 and 15 of Township 6 North, Range 3 East. In general, this closure affects the private land surrounding Fleming Springs, Sierra Vista and Cottonwood Canyon roads."

It says private land in those sections of the township therefor any state or public land in those townships is still open. We used to hunt all over as long as it wasnt posted which is perfectly legal in AZ, inlcuding a few hundred private unposted acres that are owned by a guy from New Jersey who was a hunter. Now with the new reg we cant even hunt there even though we have his permission. My buddy got a map that shows the boundaries of the township sections, and I think it also shows land ownership. I just havent had a chance to look at it yet. Dont worry about pissing off those morons, if there are still areas up there that can be hunted I think everyone should take advantage and shoot a big buck before they rewrite the reg and close the whole area. I think the areas in the mentioned townships have one of the best populations of trophy bucks in the state. People sometimes just laugh when I say that but they havent seen the area. Several of the game and fish officers even the loser that works the area agreed they had never seen so many trophies in such a close proximity to each other. The big bucks are drawn in there because of the feeding and easy does. Each time someone took a big buck there would be another big one tending its does within a day or two, usually one we hadnt even seen before. By feeding them the homeowners are drawing the deer out of the wild areas onto their property, then they get all pissed when the hunters follow the deer. Personally I hope to piss them off as much as possible without breaking the law.
:D

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-21-2002 11:10: Message edited by: FEW ]</font>

Thanks FEW the info realy helps. I think this weekend I will run down to Wide World of Maps and see if I can find a map with the townships that you mentioned. Just to make sure I don't get into truble. Thanks agen

If they dont have it there try the town of cave creek thats where my buddy got his. Chamber of Commerce or something I forget what the hell they call those places.

Oh yeah and I will post some pics of the bucks we shot on this thread in a few days.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-22-2002 09:17: Message edited by: FEW ]</font>

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back