Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Arizona hunting licenses question

• Thread starter Deleted member 40315
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 40315

I’m humbly asking for some clarification here 😃 thank you to everyone that contributes with any suggestions and/or help.

So it’s that time of the year again and I am sitting with 2 elk points this year....not statistically seeing a really good chance at Arizona elk hunt this coming fall 😞 it’s ok it takes time, I understand that part to build points but my question lies in paying for another AZ hunting license fee to get points for elk this season only. No, I'm not going to hunt in AZ unless it’s for elk this year. I have mapped out my mule deer, whitetail deer, and elk for other states barring the miraculous fall from the heavens opportunity that 2 elk points gets me the hunt of a lifetime in AZ. QUESTION: Is my current AZ hunting license that is good past April capable of purchasing the point I desire or do I need to purchase another AZ hunting license to get the preference point and if I don’t buy the license (But still try to get the point in this process) is there some off chance that I could loose my “loyalty point” down the road based on a possible lapse in the system??? any clarity on this would help; or if anyone has delt with this in the past. And btw, calling AZGFD is not easy because the phone line is always busy....lol!
Thanks for your help everyone😃👍🏻

I’m humbly asking for some clarification here 😃 thank you to everyone that contributes with any suggestions and/or help.

So it’s that time of the year again and I am sitting with 2 elk points this year....not statistically seeing a really good chance at Arizona elk hunt this coming fall 😞 it’s ok it takes time, I understand that part to build points but my question lies in paying for another AZ hunting license fee to get points for elk this season only. No, I'm not going to hunt in AZ unless it’s for elk this year. I have mapped out my mule deer, whitetail deer, and elk for other states barring the miraculous fall from the heavens opportunity that 2 elk points gets me the hunt of a lifetime in AZ. QUESTION: Is my current AZ hunting license that is good past April capable of purchasing the point I desire or do I need to purchase another AZ hunting license to get the preference point and if I don’t buy the license (But still try to get the point in this process) is there some off chance that I could loose my “loyalty point” down the road based on a possible lapse in the system??? any clarity on this would help; or if anyone has delt with this in the past. And btw, calling AZGFD is not easy because the phone line is always busy....lol!
Thanks for your help everyone😃👍🏻

technically it has to be valid the day you apply and the day of the draw. Look up the deadline to update credit cards, draw should be the next day. If your license is good after that date you should be good.

My understanding is the date moves back one day each year and at some point jumps forward but almost every year you can buy a license on the last day to apply and then the next year you can use that same license for the next years draw so you really only need to buy that license that you wont use every other year applying. So you can get two draws on one license if buy on last day to apply. I dont like waiting cause seems like everyone waits and then you can have problems using website let alone getting an application done.

Per regulation, the license needs to be valid on the "published" application deadline date. It doesn't need to be valid the day before nor the day after. You can log in today, buy the license with a "starting date" of Feb 11, apply for your 2020 point, and you'll be good for this year and to apply for Elk in 2021. If/when you draw you will need to have a valid license when hunting.

Last edited:
I literally just called Arizona game and fish last week with the same question. And from what I understand that as long as your license is valid on the day of the draw your tag and or bonus point should be valid.

I literally just called Arizona game and fish last week with the same question. And from what I understand that as long as your license is valid on the day of the draw your tag and or bonus point should be valid.
Thanks! Glad you were able to get through 👍🏻 I appreciate the feedback. Have a great day!😃

Qualifications:
“An applicant must possess a license (includ- ing lifetime, pioneer or disabled veteran’s) that is valid on the last day of the application deadline for that draw.” (Page 8 of the AZ game and fish hunt draw brochure for 2020)

Again on Page 10. Application deadline and draw date must have valid license, as well as if your actually going to hunt you need a valid license.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have interest in applying for deer and sheep in June? If so you’ll need to buy a license every year. If not then it’s possible to have a license cover two years. That’s my understanding.

Do you have interest in applying for deer and sheep in June? If so you’ll need to buy a license every year. If not then it’s possible to have a license cover two years. That’s my understanding.
no, thanks for asking though. My license is valid till April 12, 2020 and on page 7 of the AZ game and fish draw book for 2020, it says that hunt permit tags mailed out by: April 3, 2020. SO, I figure I'm safe. If I draw then i get a new license; if I don't i get my point and move on for next year with elk. Buy another licenses n 2021. lol!, I'm 99.999999% sure I read the state issued brochure correctly in licensing, draw, and application.

And........Draw Completed! (y) Plus! Got Both of my daughters into the draw for a point this year. They are gonna thank me one day, or their husbands....lmao!!! Thank you for everyone that helped in this thread. I would also say that (@bigfin) this year was the first year that I used GOHunt.com and their strategy application statistics help me out drastically. I correlated the data that they had with the brochure and hunt options for draw and I have to say that after three years and "finally" understanding my schedule, the hunting options, and draw odds; I feel great about this years elk in Arizona! 🤞 Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: LCH
Qualifications:
“An applicant must possess a license (includ- ing lifetime, pioneer or disabled veteran’s) that is valid on the last day of the application deadline for that draw.” (Page 8 of the AZ game and fish hunt draw brochure for 2020)

Again on Page 10. Application deadline and draw date must have valid license, as well as if your actually going to hunt you need a valid license.

This is not true. You do not need a valid license on the draw date. Only on the published application deadline.

I think all this gets confused when people state draw date. No one knows when they will actually run the draw. The only date that matters is the application deadline.

I think all this gets confused when people state draw date. No one knows when they will actually run the draw. The only date that matters is the application deadline.

The post I quoted said application deadline AND draw date, otherwise I would tend to agree with you.

"When applying for a hunt, you must have a license valid through deadline day of that draw. If drawn for a hunt permit-tag, you must also have a valid license at the time of the hunt." That's from page 10 of the brochure.

It doesn't say through the draw date it says "deadline day of that draw". It's February 11th this year. If your license is good that day, you're good. If you draw then you have to buy another one to hunt. Trust me, I've been doing it since the license changed to being good for 365 days. One year they extended the draw by one day because the system crashed, I thought I was screwed. I got my Bonus point and kept my loyalty point because they go by the published date in the brochure.

You guys are overthinking it. LOL

This is not true. You do not need a valid license on the draw date. Only on the published application deadline.
Page 10 of the AZGFD 2020 Pronghorn, Elk and Raptor Capture HUNT DRAW INFORMATION Booklet states the following: "What are the License Requirements? When applying for a hunt, you must have a license valid through deadline day of that draw. If drawn for a hunt permit-tag, you must also have a valid license at the time of the hunt. These may not be the same license. Please contact customer service if you have any questions".

Here is the PDF link: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/...2020-Pronghorn-and-Elk-booklet_191217_web.pdf

I'm not going to post again on this but the Rule booklet for 2020 states this very clearly (as it is referenced again above for you own reading)..........I'm not going off any other source or prior year of AZGFD rulebook for draw and/or information packet put out by AZGFD. Good luck.

By “Draw Deadline” they mean application deadline. They’ve used the exact same verbiage for years. If your license expires and you draw, you just need to buy another before your hunt starts.

By “Draw Deadline” they mean application deadline. They’ve used the exact same verbiage for years. If your license expires and you draw, you just need to buy another before your hunt starts.

yes seems pretty clear to me......

License expired on Feb 11th. I didn't draw but I shot for the moon anyway. I got another point and kept my loyalty point just like every other year when I use this strategy. I'll buy my next license and set the start date for June 9th and not have to buy one next year.

Hey tnywragge I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just trying to save you (and anybody else reading this) a few bucks. Maybe listen to the guys that have been doing this for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back