Caribou Gear

Arizona Elk Unit 5B tag

wswat

Anybody ever draw this unit? Season is ned of NOV-DEC
I have a good friend of mine open up his mail today and he had a bull tag for this unit with out even having any pref points.
When looking at eastmans it looks like it might be a tough hunt but I take that with a grain of salt as I have seen some great animals in units they say that about.

Any help would be great.
Planning on doing OYOA and going down in August to scout.
Thank you

5B South or North? If I were your buddy I'd pray that it's South. Good elk country and some great bulls to be had in there. They will probably be a little shy by that time as there are several hunts stacked up before that one.

I hunted the North unit on a leftover Limited Opp tag last year on a ranch owned by the Navajo Tribe--brutal. It was an Any Elk tag and the game warden suggested shooting the first elk I saw because I might not see another one. Saw 1 cow in 2+ days of hard scouting (which excited everyone in the camp because they had seen none). Saw a bruiser bull, a smaller bull and a cow at evening of the first day but couldn't seal the deal before dark set in. Then saw nothing but coyotes, deer and antelope the next 4 days.

I'd have your buddy call the game biologist for that unit and get some starting spots and get some maps. There will be a lot of guys within 1/2 mile of every road, few beyond that. Of course, Arizona has a road about every 1/4 mile. ;) If it's the south unit, PM me and I'll try to dig up some of the spots where I spotted good bull numbers on my (mistaken) late cow hunt there 4 years back.

Best of luck to your buddy.

I have archery hunted the south unit twice oyo, once solo once with two buddies. The last being in '09.
PM me if thats the area drawn. I may be able to help.

wswat, my good friend drew 5b South archery Sept-9-22 get in touch with me after the 22nd & I will have you get in touch with him & he will shed some light on his findings on his this years hunt! He'll help you out all he can he's a good guy! You can contact me at [email protected]

ElkNut/Paul

I love this website!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you to all that have helped!! I will make sure to repay the favor to anyone that ever has questions for me from this site.

Thanks again.

North and south are both great units. South is a bit easier to hunt but I believe that north has some larger bulls. Send me a PM when you know which end he's hunting.

I'll be there with my 13 year old son. He drew the same tag. I have hunted that area several times. Both North and South are good area's. The whole hunt will depend on the weather as well.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back