Caribou Gear

Arizona Elk Hunt 1st Time

aahrens_83

Hey Everyone

So my uncle and I have decided to start putting in for a elk draw somewhere in Arizona. We have hunted Elk in New Mexico, Colorado, and Wyoming so we want this Arizona hunt to be a dream hunt/get a wall hanger hunt. We've already decided we are fine with applying for 4-5+yrs to get into those kind of units that hold those trophy bulls. We've hunted elk in all seasons, weapons use, and terrain. So I'm looking for advice on which Arizona units we should focus our attention to? I've researched some and I've narrowed it done to a handful of units but wanted to hear what everyone thinks and success stories.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks y'all

Unless extremely lucky, I think it’s a good thing you added the + to the amount of years you’re willing to wait as a NR to hunt a premium unit. From what I gather those, in no particular order are 1, 3a/3c, 9, 10, 23, 27

I would realistically be prepared to wait at least 10 years before drawing a late rifle in a "blue chip" unit. Point creep is going to explode there. Hopefully you get lucky and don't have to wait that long.

Unless you get very lucky it will take a while to draw a "dream hunt" in AZ. There's definitely some great opportunity out there but those late rifle hunts in mid-tier units are going to be tough to get a wall hanger on the ground for a majority of hunters. I guess it depends on what you consider a wall hanger.

I think any AZ unit can have those type of bulls, but for "dream hunt", depending on your definition, I'd add 10+ years onto your 4-5+ year estimate. You also will need to get your Hunter Ed point to cut a couple years off. For the upper tier early archery and rifle hunts, you'll never live long enough to guarantee you'll draw unless you are in your teens. I'm not trying to dissuade you from applying to Arizona, just make sure you have realistic expectations. A good thing about Arizona is that every year a few people get to beat the odds and draw their dream tags.

Realistically as a resident I expect to wait 4-7 years for a late tag, and this includes my hunter ed and loyalty points. i'm also proof that luck reigns supreme. My son and I drew elk tags 4 years in a row from 2009-12. 2017 was my last tag. Good luck!

If planning on buying a landowner voucher, make sure you plan on hunting a different state. Landowner vouchers aren't offered in Arizona.

Good luck in AZ. I’ve been putting in for early archery for 16 years and the only thing I’ve got to show for it is a bunch of points. Maybe this year .

Like others have said...it will be in the teens at an absolute minimum unless you are lucky (which people certainly are). Arizona is an awesome state which, with your NR hunting license, has a tremendous amount of opportunity, just extremely limited for elk.

If you're serious about hunting Arizona elk as a non-resident, you need to rub your lucky rabbit's foot, and do your homework to better your odds getting drawn. Take a few minutes to watch this video of Randy's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEb8ae0ckFw&t=1s

You'll find numerous 300+ inch (and larger) bulls in every hunt unit throughout the state --- putting an elk in the freezer and on the wall is the fun part once you have tag in hand!

21 AZ elk points and counting...............Someone in my point group has draw for at least the last 3 years maybe 4. Maybe you'll be luckier.

Last edited:
I'ts all pretty well been said. Arizona has large elk in every unit with a regular draw. The state record, until recently, came from Unit 8 near Sycamore Canyon. The largest Elk I've seen in the state was in Unit 10. I've seen B&C bulls in 9, 1, 27, and 3C and huge bulls when hunting cow on the reservation. The largest sheds I've seen came from Unit 10. As for drawing a tag, it's a crap shoot. We've been lucky and managed to draw every second or third year since 1989, but we live here so... Your odds at drawing a tag change every year for any particular unit. You may be better off applying through one of the application agents such as Cabelas or Steve's Outdoor. I've never used one so I don't know.

Keep shooting your bow while you accumulate points and get your Arizona hunter safety point. After a few years you will pick up a loyalty point as well. The bad news is that a lot of people are doing that. The good news(?) as I understand it Arizona cut the non-resident tags from 10% to 5% and put the other 5% in the random draw so there's that.

There's tags I thought that are completely random with no NR cap.It was my first year applying there but the late hunts I applied for said there was no NR cap if I read it correctly.Either way, I didn't draw and figure I have at least 5 years to wait.I am trying to schedule a spot for the Hunter safety point,but that seems almost as hard as drawing a tag

I am trying to schedule a spot for the Hunter safety point,but that seems almost as hard as drawing a tag

It was hard for me to find a spot when I took the class, even as a local. The people who offer the field days are volunteers (at least that's what they told me) which is why more courses aren't offered.

Back