Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Arizona cow elk with 0 points?

tommylittle

Hey
I have never applied in AZ and curious if it would be possible to get a cow tag with 0 points, rifle hunt
I understand there may not be a lot tags available for me
would love to find a hunt with high percentage of public land
reasonable chance at an opportunity to harvest a cow elk
Do not mind rugged terrain, do not mind harvesting and packing out a cow elk a long distance
looking for a good first experience in AZ, get a feel for what AZ is like, and bring home some meat

My only elk hunting experience so far is south central colorado
thanks in advance
tom

thanks rustednuts

pretty much what i was thinking
curious if anyone has any insight on the limited opportunity or depredation type hunts
obviously low density and low success, not afraid of that if there are some of those hunts with enough public land that elk could be on

Limited opp hunts are ok, some are good. In the limited opp hunts I’ll find more elk in 3 days than some people will find in an entire unit over 7 days. If you know how to hunt elk, they are easy hunts. If you’re willing to spend $660 on a cow tag there are plenty of good options with 0 points. If you need help with next years draw let me know.

thanks blackcats06

I eneded up putting in for a preference point this year. I am considering hunting in AZ in 2024 and am totally ok with hunting cow elk.

The type of experience I am wanting is a rifle hunt off the beaten path, I enjoy hiking and totally ok with longer packouts

This fall my brothers and I gifted my 75 year old dad a fully guided Colorado mule deer hunt and I will be tagging along with him on that

You’ll have to define off the beaten path. Do you mean miles from a road and a backpack type hunt or just a unit away from a town? It’s hard to get away from roads in Arizona.

2 years in a row I drew a rifle cow tag. My wife put in 1st time and a friend as well and both drew. I swear it seems like 1st time applicants have an edge…..

You’ll have to define off the beaten path. Do you mean miles from a road and a backpack type hunt or just a unit away from a town? It’s hard to get away from roads in Arizona.
either or or both, took me 5 elk hunts to figure out both elk hunting and what type of hunting experience I most enjoy.

My brother drew 1 Bull Elk and 1 cow Elk tag in a row with 0 points,I will be tagging along with him on his hunt this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back