NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Arizona Coues Unit 32

mhungerford

just putting the finishing touches on everything before we leave next month to hunt coues for the first time. Any advice from you seasoned coues guys? We have made a plan to backpack into the wilderness and get away the best we can. Glassing tips, areas to look for? Any extra info helps thanks. Hope everyone is having a great season.

I as an old Arizonan Don't put in there anymore cause of acssess. If You are hiking to willderness thats all You need . You will elliminate most people. Just bring some 15's and a Tripod is the main thing when hunting Coues. Hunt all day and pick apart bushes after primetime. Also them little critters like to get up and eat or water if hot from 11 am to 2 pm ..Good Luck.........BOB!

i am a self proclaimed coues nut. I used to hunt unit 32 a lot but as Bob stated, the access is getting really bad. I stopped going there 6-8 years ago. Glass all day with quality optics on a good tripod. Coues tend to be out on grassy hillsides at first light but hit the cover pretty fast. Once you find a buck, watch it bed, then keep watching it. They usually get up around 10-11:00 and re-bed. They’ll usually stay in their 2nd bed until near sundown. Make a move when they are in their second bed. Have fun. Good luck

You'll do well. I almost have to laugh though as I find many people complain about the access. Reality is that its not much different than most states, and you have to hike to get away from people and easy vehicular access. I've found if you make it a couple miles from the road you will likely see hardly anyone and the amount of game increases drastically. Some units have road everywhere and people drive their side by sides all over the place and people talk about the great access. I think you'll enjoy the unit as there are thousand of acres that never see a foot print made by another human, you just have to lay a little boot leather... There are literally dozens of accesses to every side of the Galiuros/Winchesters, you just might have to work a little to get there and away from people...

Even 30a/30b/34b and some of the difficult access units aren't that bad if you can hike...

Most of AZ. You don't have acssess problems , Just mainly down South. I never have had to worry about it since I moved here in 1977. Get drawn and go Huntin, Most States its an issue............BOB!

Reactions: LCH
I enjoy hunting coues deer. I killed my first several years ago.....in 1967. I have spent many days in unit 32, both hunting and 15 years as the District Wildlife Manger for the AZ Game and Fish. I have killed lots of bucks in the unit, in the Galiuro Mountains, the Winchester Mountains and even a few in the Little Dragoons. I haven't hunted 32 the past couple of years as I have branched out to hunt different units and glass mountains that I haven't glassed before. Some points to consider on unit 32:

1. The majority of the Galiuro Wilderness is a brush pile and is not the best habitat in the unit. There are pockets of good habitat, but most hunters that hike in have the illusion that by going into the Wilderness, they are going to have a great hunt. The most common comment that I have heard from hunters hunting the Wilderness is that the place sucks and they are never going back. The highest quality habitat of Galiuro Mountains is along the base of the mountain.

2. Access is poor due to private land closures. While the vast majority of the unit is publicly held land, the private land patterns allow a few land owners to lockup our public land. It has been kind of a domino effect where one land owner locks his gate and causes more hunters to concentrate on his neighbor's ranch, which causes that neighbor to lock his gates etc etc. This can be helpful if you can find a way around the private land without trespassing on posted property. I found a spot like this a few years ago and hiked around a locked gate and 3 miles later had the area to myself for the December archery hunt. I set up a tree stand and I arrowed a nice buck. Somehow I talked my son into packing it out for me the next day.

3. As the mule deer population has declined, coues deer have moved to lower elevation habitat that 30 years ago was inhabited by mule deer. I killed one of my largest bucks, a heavy antlered 4x4, 10 years ago, in an area that had previously been a mule deer only spot. Don't overlook lower elevation areas.

While unit 32 isn't as good for coues deer hunting as it was in the late 80's, it is still a fun place to hunt with lots of possibilities. Good luck on your hunt!

I enjoy hunting coues deer. I killed my first several years ago.....in 1967. I have spent many days in unit 32, both hunting and 15 years as the District Wildlife Manger for the AZ Game and Fish. I have killed lots of bucks in the unit, in the Galiuro Mountains, the Winchester Mountains and even a few in the Little Dragoons. I haven't hunted 32 the past couple of years as I have branched out to hunt different units and glass mountains that I haven't glassed before. Some points to consider on unit 32:

1. The majority of the Galiuro Wilderness is a brush pile and is not the best habitat in the unit. There are pockets of good habitat, but most hunters that hike in have the illusion that by going into the Wilderness, they are going to have a great hunt. The most common comment that I have heard from hunters hunting the Wilderness is that the place sucks and they are never going back. The highest quality habitat of Galiuro Mountains is along the base of the mountain.

2. Access is poor due to private land closures. While the vast majority of the unit is publicly held land, the private land patterns allow a few land owners to lockup our public land. It has been kind of a domino effect where one land owner locks his gate and causes more hunters to concentrate on his neighbor's ranch, which causes that neighbor to lock his gates etc etc. This can be helpful if you can find a way around the private land without trespassing on posted property. I found a spot like this a few years ago and hiked around a locked gate and 3 miles later had the area to myself for the December archery hunt. I set up a tree stand and I arrowed a nice buck. Somehow I talked my son into packing it out for me the next day.

3. As the mule deer population has declined, coues deer have moved to lower elevation habitat that 30 years ago was inhabited by mule deer. I killed one of my largest bucks, a heavy antlered 4x4, 10 years ago, in an area that had previously been a mule deer only spot. Don't overlook lower elevation areas.

While unit 32 isn't as good for coues deer hunting as it was in the late 80's, it is still a fun place to hunt with lots of possibilities. Good luck on your hunt!
Thank you for the information.

Hunt them with Big Binos and Tripod and You will Be addicted. The other post is correct lot of em in the flats now days ,just hard to hunt them or see em.. Persistance can pay off for a Guy with patience and stalking skills. In the Hills Guys are killing big Bucks with the long range rifles now days..............BOB!

just putting the finishing touches on everything before we leave next month to hunt coues for the first time. Any advice from you seasoned coues guys? We have made a plan to backpack into the wilderness and get away the best we can. Glassing tips, areas to look for? Any extra info helps thanks. Hope everyone is having a great season.
Hi all,

It's been a while since this initial post, but I'm pretty new to the website/forum so just trying to find information to help me plan for my next coues hunt. I solo backpack hunted unit 32 in Jan 2022 for 3 days and 3 nights. It was an awesome experience, but I am hoping to have more success on my next bowhunt for these critters.

Just wondering if you had any advice or tips to help me on my next planned trip. And I'm not stuck on unit 32 for 2023; for 2022 it just happened to be the unit that fit best logistically for me along with the e-scouting and harvesting data/etc I was able to put together through goHunt and google earth. And if I can find a good guide (solid references and demonstrates some longevity, and open to teaching skills etc), I might be open to hiring one as it's pretty tough to not only plan but gain scouting knowledge and skills all the way from NY.

Thanks for all replies in advance.

Tom

Hi all,

It's been a while since this initial post, but I'm pretty new to the website/forum so just trying to find information to help me plan for my next coues hunt. I solo backpack hunted unit 32 in Jan 2022 for 3 days and 3 nights. It was an awesome experience, but I am hoping to have more success on my next bowhunt for these critters.

Just wondering if you had any advice or tips to help me on my next planned trip. And I'm not stuck on unit 32 for 2023; for 2022 it just happened to be the unit that fit best logistically for me along with the e-scouting and harvesting data/etc I was able to put together through goHunt and google earth. And if I can find a good guide (solid references and demonstrates some longevity, and open to teaching skills etc), I might be open to hiring one as it's pretty tough to not only plan but gain scouting knowledge and skills all the way from NY.

Tom
Advice for 2023 is to check in on the harvest quotas as 2022 progresses. Quotas are new this year for the OTC hunts and the 2023 January season could close if the quota is reached in the August or December 2022 seasons. The quotas run from August 2022 through January 2023 and re-open again in August 2023. My guess is coues in 32 will stay open longer than many of the other units, but have a backup plan of another unit if 32 closes before Jan 2023. Also, if the surounding units hit the quota and close, 32 could see increased hunter pressure. Since the quota system is new this year, it is really anyone's guess how soon each quota will be reached.

Advice for 2023 is to check in on the harvest quotas as 2022 progresses. Quotas are new this year for the OTC hunts and the 2023 January season could close if the quota is reached in the August or December 2022 seasons. The quotas run from August 2022 through January 2023 and re-open again in August 2023. My guess is coues in 32 will stay open longer than many of the other units, but have a backup plan of another unit if 32 closes before Jan 2023. Also, if the surounding units hit the quota and close, 32 could see increased hunter pressure. Since the quota system is new this year, it is really anyone's guess how soon each quota will be reached.
Hi all,

Tom
How did you trip go? I drew the rifle tag beginning of December for unit 32. First time coues hunting! I’m pumped. My favorite part of hunting is glassing so this animal is the perfect fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back