Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Arizona Archery Bull Tag for Unit 6A

Topgun 30-06

My buddy in Wyoming just drew this tag for 9/9-9/22 and I will be tagging along to help out. Do any of you have any help to offer as we will probably be out there for the entire two weeks on a DIY excursion? We packed a 357 3/8" bull out on our backs that he shot in Wyoming last year, so we are ready for some hard work in order to try for a good one! Thanks for anything that is offered!

I've not hunted elk in 6a, but have spent a fair bit of time hunting javelina and working in that unit. I always saw plenty of elk without even really looking for them.

The access is pretty good in 6a as well.

Good luck to you and your buddy.

Thanks Buzz! That is sort of the information that we are both getting from a few people that have responded on other websites. The F&G website shows that unit holds approximately 20 % of the AZ elk population. It sounds like it's going to be a fun hunt that time of year if the bulls are sounding off. From what I'm told it's sort of high desert country in the southern part that is deceptive for holding decent numbers of elk and that the northern area is more of the heavier timber-type landscape where you would normally expect to see elk. Is that a pretty fair assessment of the unit in your estimation and where do you think you would start your hunt that time of the year?

Last edited:
I'm probably not overly qualified on much to do with Arizona, or elk...but I'd be interested in finding all the water sources I could that time of year. Its likely going to be hot, and I'd probably start in the higher country and I'd likely not venture any lower than P/J country. I think on all the AZ hunts, its pretty important to do a bit of scouting prior to the season.

When I drew an AZ elk tag in 2008, I got down there 4 days before the season. I only got about 2 good days of scouting as the weather was tough for 2 days (low clouds, snow, and fog). The first spot I glassed I found several bulls including a couple good six points. I didnt see another elk until opening day of the season. I definately did not have enough scouting time. What I did have though is a positive attitude, some great info from another hunttalker, some help from a couple good friends and my Father.

Elk hunting has never really been my thing, but I think a person would have to be about brain-dead to not be excited about hunting them in AZ.

The description of the country you got is pretty accurate.

Thanks again and I agree on your brain-dead comment! I'm really into the mule deer hunting for myself, but I've really been having some great fun helping John since 2006 when I first went with him on a WY elk bowhunt and he arrowed a nice one with me kneeling right next to him. Then I was with that other friend I took out there in 2009 when he got a nice 285" bull with his bow and it was also his first elk. Then it culminated last Fall when we didn't have any luck during the bow season in September, but John got that 357 3/8" bull in my avatar at daylight opening morning of rifle season. The cool thing is that I can go out there and have fun during September with the elk and not even spend money on PPs and license fees to have that fun and then concentrate on deer during October. That will be the plan again this year and if John also draws his WY bull tag, it will be a very busy September with that AZ hunt also thrown in there!

Buzz what are you nuts. "elk hunting has never really been my thing":confused: I believe I saw countless kill photos of you and elk. For someone who doesn't get their kicks from it you've done plenty of damage ;):D

My buddy is aware of the number of tags issued and we're ready to deal with that as best we can. At least it is a bow hunt and there won't be guns popping all over the place, LOL!

Buzz what are you nuts. "elk hunting has never really been my thing":confused: I believe I saw countless kill photos of you and elk. For someone who doesn't get their kicks from it you've done plenty of damage ;):D

I was thinking the exact same thing! Lots of guys I know would kill to have Buzz's lack of elk hunting skills!

kinda funny....i am actually eating a big old juicy elk burger right now as i read this thread...funny thing is, the elk was from 6A.

you are in for a heck of a hunt...and i can promiss you, you can get away from the people!

for 2011, 6A is all the 6's combined and 595 archery tags. It will get real busy, real quick.
Will be interesting to see! I cant imagine it wont be better than my Home state Oregons over the counter Archery Hunt, Guess I will find Out.

fatrack---You would have to make my mouth water with that juicy elk burger comment on a Good Friday while I'm eating a friggin egg salad sandwich, LOL! If you have any hints you would be willing to share I would love to hear them in a PM or email. I hope we can get back in far enough to see more elk than hunters!!! Thanks--- Mike

[email protected]

Esau---I just read your PM and sent one back at ya a little while ago!!!

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see! I cant imagine it wont be better than my Home state Oregons over the counter Archery Hunt, Guess I will find Out.

I've lived in bend for 50+ years. Guarantee it will be a better hunt than we have here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back