Arizona 12AW Tag/Fire. Should I go?

Roosevelt

I drew 12AW early this year with 15 points. I've been trying for the late tag but my dad's not going to be able to hunt soon, so I really wanted to draw this year no matter what. My dad and I both drew and we both have pointguard. I'm just now getting going on learning the unit. Is the burn area really good hunting during the early season?

I guess my biggest question is....If you were in my position what would you do? Go for it or try to give the tag back/get points back. Thanks

What Flatlander said. If You are a non res. You are years away from drawing a late tag. The fire will make deer more visible on the early hunt than normal. I killed this Buck on the late Hunt 2 years ago and it was a drought year. No drought this year! racks should be great.There are always some Great Bucks killed on the early hunt, all be it not like the late hunt. I would take that tag any Year. I knew guys that turned in tags 2 years ago and I thought they were Foolish.I was sick as a dog and killed this 184 buck opening afternoon. if I was well and huted 10 days I know I could of killled bigger. Good luck and post Pictures..............................BOB!IMG_0803 (4).JPG

I'm definitely leaning towards going. I couldn't have been more excited to see the results...then I saw how much land has burned and I started thinking about options. My family has leased ground where I live and it has burned 3 times since we started leasing it. It's never effected the hunting at all really, other than having to change strategy a bit, if anything it helped....but our ground always had lots of areas that weren't burned and the fires were no where near the size as Arizona's.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate you taking the time 👍🏻👍🏻

What Flatlander said. If You are a non res. You are years away from drawing a late tag. The fire will make deer more visible on the early hunt than normal. I killed this Buck on the late Hunt 2 years ago and it was a drought year. No drought this year! racks should be great.There are always some Great Bucks killed on the early hunt, all be it not like the late hunt. I would take that tag any Year. I knew guys that turned in tags 2 years ago and I thought they were Foolish.I was sick as a dog and killed this 184 buck opening afternoon. if I was well and huted 10 days I know I could of killled bigger. Good luck and post Pictures..............................BOB!View attachment 146063
Yikes! Looks like a 300 pounder!

Go, the fire is just going to make the unit better, the whole east side didn’t burn so plenty of country.

Yikes! Looks like a 300 pounder!
Game and fish has a mandatory check station there and they said it was an old deer 6 and a half or 7 + , I can't remember. I was to sick and to happy! thanks for the compliments guys, it truely is a special place. .....................BULL!

Go, the fire is just going to make the unit better, the whole east side didn’t burn so plenty of country.

Thank you for your help....I agree...I'm heading out to hunt💪💪 I'm looking forward to hanging with my dad. Can't wait!!

Back