Are you a Long-Range (shooter) or Closer Range?

Practice out to 900 on steel but my personal and ethical limit is 500 for animals. Fwiw, I've never shot a critter over 200 that I can think of. Last year's elk was shot at 50 yards after glassing him up from about a mile away and seeking up on him in his bed.

I usually like to keep my shots pretty short but one day I shot a cow elk way out to darn near a hundred yards. Then once with my bow I really went crazy and shot a deer that was a good 35 yards away. With my muzzle loader I have never killed anything beyond 45 yards or so but I might be willing to try stretching it out to 75.

I don't even own a range finder.

Something about range finder's. I've got one, had it for several years but seldom carry it. Get's used more setting out target's at different ranges. Years ago, pre-range finder's, a friend and I estimated ranges of stuff all the time. Pretty sorry in the beginning but we got pretty darn good at it down the road. Those were the days when advice was zero at 3" high at 100 yds and go with it. Hold dead on at that range and usually you were pretty good to about 300 yds. That was the beginning of Max Point Blank Range before they called it that. I still do it today but my estimation might be going down hill but not to worry as I've only attempted one shot at big game at 300+ yds in my life. Most of what I've shot was up to maybe 250yds. This need for 400yd + rifles got me blind side, I have no idea why anyone feels the need to shoot big game animals at that range. Now I have shot target's to 500 yds some, just because, but target's don't bleed!

Back