Yeti GOBOX Collection

Are gun dogs the only breeds?

Retrievers are known to be the best, but any dog who will fetch can be trained, just may take longer or not be quite as good. I have a good friend who is currently training his hound dog mix to hunt for sheds. Almost any dog has a nose for it, some certainly better than others, and even some hunting breeds may not be good at it. There are some great products on the market to help train, there’s a chap-stick type scent that can be applied to a cleaned shed that can be used for training, apparently it mimics the smell of a freshly dropped burr. Good luck.

OK I ask because I heard a few guys that trained some of the cur dog breeds and I could see them being a better fit since they can hunt coon blood track and work the traplin to

Any breed that likes retrieving can be trained for shed hunting. I'm training my 8 month old GSP right now. I think a lab would be ideal, since they are natural retrievers and are a little bigger in size so they are able to pick up/carry sheds easier. I purchased this off amazon and worked for me on training my puppy.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back