Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Are cheap tripods worth it?

TM0218

While doing some pre-planning for a hopeful future elk I came across the tripod issue. I know tripods make glassing much more enjoyable, but I would only be willing to spend $40-50 on a cheap camera tripod (considering all other expenses). Would a cheap tripod be better than free handing? Or would it end up being more trouble than it’s worth? Thanks in advance.

You'll survive with it but you'll be miserable soon. Find something decent that's used or save up a couple more bucks. So far your budget is a tank of gas so make it 2 tanks of gas and you'll have something better to rest your optics on.

I have had zero qualms about rocking a Vanguard Espod tripod. Put your money towards more important stuff!

I have an old Vanguard MK-4. Not sure what they cost, but it's cheap and works fine. I would not be effective trying to free hand.

While doing some pre-planning for a hopeful future elk I came across the tripod issue. I know tripods make glassing much more enjoyable, but I would only be willing to spend $40-50 on a cheap camera tripod (considering all other expenses). Would a cheap tripod be better than free handing? Or would it end up being more trouble than it’s worth? Thanks in advance.

Having bought a small mountain of cheap 'pods, enough to pay for a couple of good ones, buy a good one from the get go. It's not just the tripod either. The head is almost more important.

Check out the Slik tripods. I’ve beat the hell out of mine and it’s still going strong

I don't want to denigrate the gear that others use, but I have a low end Slik that is inexpensive and sturdy. However, the head is "sticky" so it tends to jump across the horizon rather than smoothly pan. Going up and down is even worse. Much topography gets skipped over with that tripod.

I'm trying to figure out the same thing... I have a cheap Targus tripod that weighs nothing and costs $25 I'm going to give it a test run this weekend and if it doesn't cut it I'm going to upgrade to something in the $150-200 range, but I figure at that price and weight I have to give it a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few cheap ones. 1 vanguard, 2 bought at garage sales. They work great to stick my chrono on when I'm shooting.

They work OK in the field IF you weight / hold them down and can deal with the panning. I do have an Outdoorsman medium tripod with their pan head - and the difference is evident. But - if you are going to glass for long periods of time and need something now - get the best you can afford.

Cheap tripods are only good for looking at one spot once you have located your game animal. They are terrible for panning around. I carry a cheap one with me and will use it once I have located something to evaluate. Don't touch the scope or tripod once you get the animal in the field of view and focused. I almost never pan around with a spotting scope, I do that with 10 power binos while resting the binos on shooting sticks. I have also broken a few cheap tripods.

Got 2 years out of my Espod 203, now on a Slik 340EZ and it's leagues better. Still not top of the line, but it's worth the jump

Cheap tripods are only good for looking at one spot once you have located your game animal. They are terrible for panning around. I carry a cheap one with me and will use it once I have located something to evaluate. Don't touch the scope or tripod once you get the animal in the field of view and focused. I almost never pan around with a spotting scope, I do that with 10 power binos while resting the binos on shooting sticks. I have also broken a few cheap tripods.
Here is a fun exercise (test) for someone to do. Stand in front of a mirror and try to see your eyes moving left to right and right to left.

If I was going to find something on the lower end of the spectrum, look at a ball vs. a pan head. I think a cheap pan head can be super frustrating. I would also try and stretch the budget into maybe the 70-80 range.

Something like a Slik Sprint, Promaster Scout, Manfrotto Compact Light, or Vortex High Country would probably serve you pretty well as long as you aren't trying to strap on a 85mm Spotter.

I've used an inexpensive one for years that I picked up in a camera store. Is it as effective as my buddy's Outdoorsman with the pistol grip head? Doesn't even come close. Not by a long shot. I'm upgrading this year but I'm still not prepared to drop the dime he did. I'll probably go with the Vortex or something comparable. I'd say get the cheap one if that is all your budget allows. If it works for you, great. If not, you're only out $40-50.

I did a lot of Moderating on this thread.
Guys, no links to third party sales sights. Read the rules of the forum please. Per Big Fin:

"Guys - I apologize in advance for this change, but I am to the point where I really have little choice.

From now, on, web links, URLs, and other advertising links/posts will not be allowed in your signature lines or in the forum threads. If you care to do this, you must contact me or Mrs. Fin in advance ([email protected]).

This site is here for helping those who are interested in self-guided hunting, with emphasis on public or accessible lands. It is only possible to have this show and site because some companies understand the value in connecting to you and being supportive of your style of hunting. Without these committed folks, there would be no website or TV shows."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back