Archery Varmints

FEW

Anyone here consistently kill chit varmint calling with a bow? A while back I tried a couple times with a handcall and never even got a shot. I have been seeing coyotes in the washes and desert adjacent to my house all the time recently so I decided to try and take a couple. It is too close to houses to shoot a gun so I can only go after them with a bow. The last week I have tried 3 different stands on 3 different days with my ecaller and bow and have had coyotes within 15 yards each time, 2 yards once!! I did not bag any of them. I have got one shot off that was yesterday, and I had been drawn back for so long by the time I shot my arm felt like jelly, and I just grazed the coyotes back only getting a couple hairs... I thought this would be fairly easy with the ecaller but I never seem to get a good chance to draw. Yesterday I tried to draw early so I could avoid that problem but the dipchit dog dicked around for 10 minutes before he decided to give me a shot... I am going to keep trying for them and hopefully I will have some archery coyote pics soon. I have some other coyote kills from December I have been meaning to post but have not had the time...
rolleyes.gif

I have seen video tape of greeny and weekend warroior kill p-dogs with bows....that was cool
Delw

prarie dogs, that would be cool...

so delw wanna give it a try(archery coyote)? or maybe just head out one of these days with some firearms to make it easier on ourselves? The weather sure is nice right now...

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-05-2003 15:37: Message edited by: FEW ]</font>

I've got a couple of friends that use yotes for practice before archery deer. They're in the Tolleson area on some farm land. They set up on the farm one in cover on each end of the feild. Yotes always use this field to travel in. It's funny because the way they describe it the coyotes know that they are there but still come. They don't seem to expect the second shooter. Granted you'd be set up like a triagle with 2 of you and the yote making the other point to shoot. The main advise is treat it like a turkey hunt, Just hide better. If you try let me know how it turns out.

Few I would love to shoot some more yotes with a bow Its a blast.......

I am fishign WON bass the 22&23 of feb so it will have to be after that cause I have alot of prefishing to do....
Delw

That would be a hoot...
Some day, maybe I can find the time to go up and put the sneak up on our little furry friends..I do get grouse quite often, but I don't think they would hold a candle to a song dog!!! Especially since they just sit there and let you shoot them..
biggrin.gif

AZ I have heard farmlands are some of the best areas to call. Lots of rodents and other food opportunities...

Hey Delw where is your T at? We fished Allstar at Apache last weekend, in case your T is there heres the deal... We did not end up in them money but we had a real good early morning crank bite, the problem was our dropshot fish just were not there in the PM. Our crank fish came in 3-10 feet mostly on broken rock flats near the deep stuff... The crank that was really working was a craw pattern wiggle wart, my buddy snapped off a 3.5lb smallie and lost his only wiggle wart right away, but I caught all my fish on the one I had left... A guy that stayed with us at Apache ended up taking home a check all with fish he caught in the last hour. We saw him at 1130 am and we had 4 keepers, he had 1. He ended up getting into some LM up in the river off steep cliffs on bull bluegill dropshot worms 4 and 6 inch, mostly taking it on the fall in 25-35. If we could have just put 2 more fish in the boat we would have done pretty well. We ended up with a heavier bag than Crawford/Goslin who was in one of our Minis and I thought they would probably take the MT, but of course a team I had never heard of weighed 21+ lbs and was in the same Mini... The next Allstar is at Bartlett so I am going to be fishing there a bunch in the next month or so...

Few my T is at lake pleasant......

Apache lake is a blast to fish I like using panther martins, for smallies

Crawford is a pretty good stick and really good on rosy and Apache....

Delw

I have shot a few prairie dogs and a couple of Richardson's ground squirrels, but not 'yotes. I drew on a coyote once from a tree stand, but he busted me and was gone in a flash. My largest varmint kill was a skunk that was walking away. I put one (arrow
wink.gif
) up his poop chute and it came out through his forehead. He didn't move and thankfully since the arrow passed through it was retrievable.

I took a yote here in Wis while deer hunting. He was chasing a deer actually and i wistled to stop him and i was at full draw! Too bad he was so mangey i left him there.
I missed a bobcat in AZ deer hunting and a Lion in NM while elk hunting. The bobcat was a 40yrd poke and them bastards are tiny with the hair off so there isnt much to hit, i didnt have a rangefinder and just plain missed. He was stalking and pounced on a roadrunner and didnt know i was there glassing for deer. The Lion was a heartbreaker because i really wanted him, he was a big one too, but i had no choice but to let one rip through some dead lower branches of a pine hopeing i could find a opening. Didnt happen, so its only a story.But it would have been soooo cool to slide an arrow through one without the bullshit of dogs, or calling, just me and him. My buddy saw him 2 days later and got some real nice pics of him, but didnt have his bow because he already scored a bull. The cat sat down and looked him over, bobbed his head a few times so my pal put the camera away and the pepper spray came out instead. Kind of funny, my buddy was kind of below me on a ridge checking a wallow and we both heard this bull goin nuts. My friend got right into the herd and wondered why the bull was barking and running in circles. He pulled out his cow call and made a few mews, and the cat came to him at 40 yrds. the herd blew out and the cat and my freind sat there looking at eachother. Man that bull was shook up! so was my buddy after that cat just stared at him for 3-4 minutes

Ive killed a few coyotes with a bow. Ive tried at litterally hundreds with a bow.
The first one I remember very well... I was heading up deer hunting and saw a yote on the road. I pulled over it ran into the bushes... with the truck still running i reached in and grab the yote call.... Blew on it a few times. he came right back to the road and sat there and looked at me. I drew the bow and let the arrow go, the yote just sat there and looked at me. was about a 50 yard shot. hit him right in the rib cage he takes off with my arrow....

Tracked him for about 30 yards and found him laying dead....
First thing i ever killed with that BOW seeings how I bought it a week prior and practiced everyday I was happy. This was also the first time I bowhunted in AZ

That same year I killed a Rifle tagged couse deer with my bow and a kaibab buck with my bow. we were allowed 2 deer a year as long as one was with the draw.

Delw

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back