AR15 Rebarrel

NV_ARCH3R

I've got a colt AR15 A2 in 223. Can't decide to buy a new gun in 5.56, or re-barrel the one I have. Anyone have input on barrels? Mostly for plinking\Self defense. doesn't need to be a long range tac driver. Good cost to quality ratio.
16", mid length, Light weight, 1:7, or 14.5 with pinned and staked flash hider. Also looks like if I buy the barrel, accessories, and the tools to do it right I'm into about half the cost of a new gun anyway.

Is the a2 shot out, or you just want a 16"? For little more than the cost of a barrel, you can get a new upper minus the bcg.

Check out Palmetto State Armory and Black hole weaponry. I've had several palmetto products and have been happy with them

+1 on Palmetto State Armory. You can get a 5.56 barrel for under $100. Or an upper for $200. They run good sales pretty frequently. I've built a whole rifle using their stuff and I'm real happy with it.

Do you have a problem finding .223 ammo or something? I doubt by replacing a barrel that you are going to realize any costs savings if you're thinking 5.56 is cheaper to shoot. Mine is chambered in 5.56 but I can honestly say that I have never shot anything but .223 through it. The reason I don't shoot 5.56 is that my wife has a .223 bolt action that I reload for, so it's nice being able to use the brass.

I really like the Bison Armory stuff. I have a 300 blackout that they built the upper for me and I have a 6.8 SPC barrel from them.

I've had great luck with PSA, plus, I lived in SC for many years, and Im from NC originally, so like the idea of supporting a "hometown" operation.

Sota Arms and RedX have decent deals on barrels. You can put a new barrel on your rifle for the cost of the barrel and $15 wrench provided you have a vise.

It kinda go outa hand, what started as a simple rebarrel, turned into, change this, upgrade that. by the time I got through I was going to build a new gun from scratch. may as well just buy one and save the time and effort, and tool costs.

I would recommend Mid Sate Firearms, they have good deals and are very good to deal with. I went with a 1:8 .223 Wylde barrel to maximize my options, and am very happy with it.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back