Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

AR 15 and 10 type rifles

You choose your freedoms I’ll choose mine. Don’t like ARs don’t buy one don’t like high capacity magazines don’t buy one. You nor the government should tell responsible gun owners what they should or shouldn’t have within the existing laws today. It’s a magazine by the way not a “clip”
You ain't never been an Army man, have you? 'Apologize for my antiquated inaccurate jargon.

Banning my freedoms certainly doesn’t keep guns out of the hands of crazies I want to be as well armed as possible should I encounter said crazy person. Which would you choose AR with 30 round mag assuming you know how to use it or ol Betsy the bolt gun?

Honestly if confronted by an armed crazy person, I think I would probably prefer to be unarmed.

Statistically speaking, they are likely depressed, feel threatened, and hopeless. I would prefer to deescalated the situation so we both walk away.

Sure there are dyed in the wool psychopaths who I couldn’t talk down, but those are much less common and rarely is a bystander with a gun able to take them out, for instance there were several armed individuals in the aurora shooting, 2 blocks from my house.

I have no training so I’m not sure me owning AR v hand gun v bolt gun would matter, although I have likely shot my firearms at living things way more than the average American.

I also don’t carry hand guns in the woods and prefer bear spray.

I do respect your right and desire to firearms, and don’t begrudge you for wanting to defend yourself.

You didn’t answer my question.... and no one was labeled dumb if you read I said we are all dumber if we read that and believe it not that he was dumb.
I said I wasn't a fan of magazine limits, so there was your answer. But if you really want to think it out, I would rather have 3 shots with my scoped rifle from 200 yards as he entered my property than a 30 round AR while he is pointing one back at me at 20 yards.

Ahhh, so he was not dumb, but if we agree with some of his thoughts, we are dumber - not exactly to respectful dialog I was going for, but to each their own I guess.

You choose your freedoms I’ll choose mine. Don’t like ARs don’t buy one don’t like high capacity magazines don’t buy one. You nor the government should tell responsible gun owners what they should or shouldn’t have within the existing laws today. It’s a magazine by the way not a “clip”

"It’s a magazine by the way not a “clip”"

By all means, keep demeaning and moving the goalposts rather than responding reasonably to the comments directed at you. You're really advancing the conversation in your favor...

Not true man, the vast majority of incidents classified as "mass shootings" are done with pistols by gang bangers where multiple people are hit. Turn off the MSM!!! :)

I'm not sure if it is, I think there is a certain "sex appeal" to ARs while I agree that mass shootings to some extent would occur, that many didn't use ARs, and that there have been mass killings in other countries with knife, trucks, swords, etc... but it is interesting that the vast majority of US mass shootings have occurred with a few specific rifles.

I think you might dramatically reduce the number of shootings simply by banning, AR-15s, AR-10s, and AK-47/74s and still leave gas fed semi autos with large capacity magazines legal.

There is undoubtedly an obsession with black guns and AKs, that's all I'm saying, it's weird.

On the flip side, I think there is evidence that mass killings might happened even if you made all guns illegal and gave police the right to forcible take them from owners. I mean tanks aren't legal, but a dude in Colorado built one and went on a rampage.... so....
https://allthatsinteresting.com/marvin-heemeyer-killdozer

Honestly though the number of people killed in mass shootings in this country is dwarfed by the number of people killed by hand guns, especially wives by husbands and kids accidentally getting into guns. The AR's get all the press, but they aren't the biggest issue.

I certainly don't have an answer on how to solve either.

Not true man, the vast majority of incidents classified as "mass shootings" are done with pistols by gang bangers where multiple people are hit. Turn off the MSM!!! :)

I'm talking Columbine, not three dudes in an alley way. It's the 2% of shootings that get 99% of the publicity and those would likely see a sharp decline by banning specific weapons IMHO.

Exactly, you are quoting and reacting to misinformation perpetuated by the MainStream Media. Shoot your T.V. with your A.R!!!!

I'm talking Columbine, not three dudes in an alley way. It's the 2% of shootings that get 99% of the publicity and those would likely see a sharp decline by banning specific weapons IMHO.

"but it is interesting that the vast majority of US mass shootings have occurred with a few specific rifles. "

Just an observation and not taking a position but in Texas alone in the past month, 2 of them in the wrong hands have caused far more short term and long term grief and misery than a million of them in the right hands will ever prevent.

You know what they say about opinions. In reality an A.R. is a semi auto rifle. I don't own one and the A.R guys at the range are annoying as $#!T, but there is no difference in hardware.
I wish I could give you my relevant observations, but I can not.

Just an observation and not taking a position but in Texas alone in the past month, 2 of them in the wrong hands have caused far more short term and long term grief and misery than a million of them in the right hands will ever prevent.

You know what they say about opinions. In reality an A.R. is a semi auto rifle. I don't own one and the A.R guys at the range are annoying as $#!T, but there is no difference in hardware.
I wish I could give you my relevant observations, but I can not.

I don't own one either and have no plans to change that. Take away the high capacity mag and it's the same as the ol Remington 7400 from my younger days and I never had one of those either. However with the high capacity mags it's pretty much guilt by association and one is mostly worthless without the other. Used in combination the misery to benefit ratio has got to be close to infinity. Most of them don't do any harm.

Last edited:
Saying a semi auto rifle is worthless without a high capacity mag is news to me. Same for semi auto shotguns? How about pistols?

Dig deeper my friends

I don't own one either and have no plans to change that. Take away the high capacity mag and it's the same as the ol Remington 7600 from my younger days and I never had one of those either. However with the high capacity mags it's pretty much guilt by association and one is mostly worthless without the other. Used in combination the misery to benefit ratio has got to be close to infinity. Most of them don't do any harm.

Exactly, you are quoting and reacting to misinformation perpetuated by the MainStream Media. Shoot your T.V. with your A.R!!!!

I don't think the "cool" factor or whatever you want to label it can be discounted from the conversation, it's relevant. Sex sells, black guns are sexy, they attract a certain crowd. I've never seen a ruger mini-14 ranch at a shooting range in Denver... seen tons of them out on the western slope on 4wheelers, it's a different market. Is there an appreciable difference between a AR and a Ruger mini-14... nope. Has anyone every rapped about a ruger, doubt it. Have you seen a movie star take out a horde of zombies while dual wielding them...

I'm not saying ARs should be banned, I'm just trying to be honest about the situation.

Maybe the sexiness or coolness of the weapon is media contrived and has nothing to do with the actual statistics? Possibly a means to an end for the anti gun crowd?

I don't think the "cool" factor or whatever you want to label it can be discounted from the conversation, it's relevant. Sex sells, black guns are sexy, they attract a certain crowd. I've never seen a ruger mini-14 ranch at a shooting range in Denver... seen tons of them out on the western slope on 4wheelers, it's a different market. Is there an appreciable difference between a AR and a Ruger mini-14... nope. Has anyone every rapped about a ruger, doubt it. Have you seen a movie star take out a horde of zombies while dual wielding them...

I'm not saying ARs should be banned, I'm just trying to be honest about the situation.

I will have to say that one difference between an AR and a mini-14 is that, while I'm sure some will chime in about how accurate and consistent their mini-14 is, I've never been around one that would shoot like a nicely tuned AR as far as consistent repeatable accuracy. I've had both, and find the AR more useful for my shooting needs, but I do recognize that it does attract a crowd that doesn't see in it the same utility that I do.

Maybe the sexiness or coolness of the weapon is media contrived and has nothing to do with the actual statistics? Possibly a means to an end for the anti gun crowd?

To be honest I'm not sure I've heard that in the media... I have't had cable news since highschool, the only time I watch Fox, MSNBC, CNN, is when I'm sitting in an airport lounge flying somewhere. My comment is based on my anecdotal experience at gun ranges, hunting, and having knowledge of the weapons used at high profile shootings. No idea if it could be substantiated, by statistics...

Back