AR 10 Hunting Loads

Well, my first load for the SFAR did not come through as well as I would like. 150 grain Speer Gold Dot with Varget. My bolt guns love this load. ES and SD were very high and grouped 1.5" - 2". I did get some IMR 4064, so going to give that a try on my next outing.

Didn't have enough time to shoot the last round of loads, but I think it would be wasted time. One group was halfway decent, but the rest were garbage.

Speer Gold Dot Varget.jpg44.5 Grains.png

I'm a big fan of the norma whitetail loads. Consistently accurate, lethal, and cost effective. I'd prefer them be a little heavier but 150s can kill big hogs and deer as good as anything so there's my vote.

Didn't have enough time to shoot the last round of loads, but I think it would be wasted time. One group was halfway decent, but the rest were garbage.

View attachment 278699View attachment 278700
Out of curiosity, did you choose Gold Dots because of previous experiences with factory loads? Terminal performance should be fantastic.......but.. They were designed and marketed to a municipal audience, and have been very successful in that market. Are you trying to load a " do all " round or something more specific?

My AR10 is freaky accurate.

Norma Whitetail 150 grn factory ammo killed these two elk handily in 2nd season. Ranges were just over 500 and 300 respectively.

I've handloaded Hornady 150 IL and 180 IL and it shoots them well also.

Attachments

• 1685934011043.png
    1685934011043.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 1685934040905.png
    1685934040905.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
I chose the God Dot because of the reviews I have seen on its ability as a hunting cartridge and its accuracy. However, it is just one of many hunting bullets I have. I also tried my best load for my bolt guns, a 168 grain Accubond with Varget that gets sub .75 inch groups. It did not like it either, so I am thinking it is the powder.

The only thing being assaulted at the moment will be deer, but it is ready for anything else.

It groups Norma Whitetails pretty well. It is my go to for 308 bullets. However, I want to work up my own loads. The days of Norma holding $17 a box sales is gone and their ammo is pretty expensive now.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back