Applying in Nebraska questions.

Dakota79

I have been invited to hunt a private ranch by North Platte Nebraska for a Whitetail buck. I've read through the handbook but am having trouble figuring out when and what to apply for. If I'm reading it right the license I need is not even available to be applied for yet.This will be rifle hunting. Is this correct? Any help would be appreciated.

Correct. That license is OTC with caps, so you can just buy it once that opens up.

Big bodied whitetails there, good luck !
You'll see a ton of turkeys too I bet.

Do I just apply for the statewide Whitetail rifle license or is there a unit specific Whitetail license I should get?

You can apply for the Platte MDCA (Mule Deer Conservation Area) which will allow you to shoot a mule deer OR a whitetail in the Platte unit. As a non-resident you will not draw this tag your first year applying, but you can apply and earn a point in case its something you want to try in the future. That's the only way you will be able to shoot a mule deer in the Platte unit if that is something that comes available to you in the future.

If you just want to shoot a whitetail then you don't need to apply for anything. You can buy a "Platte Whitetail" tag which is OTC with caps. The quota is 1,300 tags so when they go on sale to the public in July there shouldn't be a huge rush to go grab one. You don't need a special "landowner" or "private land only" tag to hunt a private ranch. Just go with the Platte Whitetail tag and you'll be all set for rifle season.

And addendum to smw's post, the difference between "Platte Whitetail" and "Statewide" is that "Platte Whitetail" only allows a region of the state while "Statewide" allows you to hunt across the whole state. "Platte Whitetail" is also significantly cheaper, and since you're hunting a specific place within that region, makes the most sense.

Also don't forget the AOSC tags, I know you said you were invited to hunt for a whitetail buck, but most guys want whitetail does taken out also. Witht he AOSC tags you can harvest 2 antlerless whitetail does for $70. I'm not sure about the Platte whitetail tag but you might be able to harvest both a whitetail buck and doe on that tag.

Good luck thinning the herd. If you are on the river you may have to pace yourself as there are quite a few deer. Shoot straight for shorter drags!

From what we have been seeing with the cameras it should be a good time.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back