NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Anyone using an Elk Decoy?

windymtnman

I decided to buy a Montana Elk Decoy. I got the Fred Eichler model, that shows a Cow quartering towards you as you view it. I'm not a gadget freak. Almost on the contrary, as I'm shooting a 30 yr. old bow with fingers, and don't have a range finder and all the other techno stuff available. I did decide to get the decoy though, as it is pretty lightweight and no problem to fit in my pack. I also photograph Elk offseason, and thought it would be fun to mess with, hiding behind it and seeing what all might happen with it.
I never see anyone using these decoys on the Sportsmen's channel, (except for Fred Eichler) using decoys. That surprises me, given the potential for success with them. Yes, they might be a hassle to set up, but I doubt if they would ever spook Elk or bring a negative outcome in their use. (?)
Does anyone in this forum use them? I'd like to hear your feedback.

I have used two different models of Montana Elk decoys...I have "Miss September" and the Fred Eichler one. In my opinion they are kind of a pain to set-up and carry around, especially in a pinch. They are light weight but they do take up more room in my pack then what they are worth. I have had bulls check them out but you really need to understand the "door way" (go to roe hunting resources) principle when using them because they will stop in coming bulls dead in their tracks sometimes. In my opinion I think that the money spend on those decoys would be better spent on websites like roehuntingresources.com then on those decoys but if extra weight in room in terms of your pack in aren't a issue then bring em!

I have used decoys a lot over the years, but only in the following situation. I'm an archery hunter and often we will set up and call in the evening. Usually all of the hunters in the group and even some of the non-hunters will spread out along a meadow, set up decoys and start calling. The idea is to sound like a whole herd of elk. Sometimes a bull will hang up outside of shooting range because he can hear "elk", but he can't see them. The benefit of decoys is that he might be fooled into coming closer. This often works well to attract smaller bulls.

We use a variety of decoys, even some styles that are no longer in production.

This year I plan to try a Poison Arrow decoy that attaches to my bow. I've had many situations where I think that would have helped.

No "gadget" is a sure thing, but some "gadgets", in some situations, can give you slight advantage. We all have to decide if it's worth it to bother with them.

I've never watched the Sportsman's Channel, but you can be pretty sure that most hunts for the average Joe doing a DIY hunt on public land won't be much like television.

We got the same one last year and tried it in Idaho. It didn't work as we planned, the bulls would see it and immediately stop coming in. In WA I'd be too scared of getting shot to even try to use it.

Back