Yeti GOBOX Collection

Anyone Make X-bolt Stocks?

Qubo

I’m going to ask the wife for a new rifle for Christmas this year but having trouble. I’m looking to get something sub 6.5lbs for backcountry deer and antelope and I really love an X-bolt. Problem is none of the pro models that meet my weight requirements really get me that excited. They just aren’t that good looking to me and tough to spend that kind of money. So I’m actually considering buying the cheapest x-bolt and getting it Cerekoted a custom color and buying a lightweight carbon fiber stock for it. But the only one I can find is the Pendleton from Oregon gunsmithing. The reviews online are very concerning though. Anyone have experience with them or have anther stock to recommend. Also considering buying a Howa 1500 or REM 700 barreled action and building from there. But I prefer single stage triggers, 3 position safeties, and detachable mags so both those would need some changes. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. Also considering just buying the new Springfield Waypoint, Weatherby Mark V, or one of the lightweight Kimbers if anyone has experiance with them.

i have two brownings and a kimber, the kimber is lighter
my go to is an xbolt in 300wsm with a 26 inch barrel but it is a long range capable rifle for me
the kimber is nice to look at and feels great to handle

No doubt a 3-position safety is the best way to make a safety, but that is definitely an expensive proposition on a Remington 700. Don’t know if you can do it to a Howa.

No doubt a 3-position safety is the best way to make a safety, but that is definitely an expensive proposition on a Remington 700. Don’t know if you can do it to a Howa.
Howa and Weatherby Vanguards come stock with a 3 position safety.

OP, I would recommend getting one of those in the weight range you are looking for and adding a Timney trigger.

Howa and Weatherby Vanguards come stock with a 3 position safety.

OP, I would recommend getting one of those in the weight range you are looking for and adding a Timney trigger.
I don’t know anything about Howa other than a couple old Howa copies of Sakos.

I don’t know anything about Howa other than a couple old Howa copies of Sakos.
I have one of those and they have a two-position safety. Somewhere along the way, they changed the design to 3-position.

I’m going to ask the wife for a new rifle for Christmas this year but having trouble. I’m looking to get something sub 6.5lbs for backcountry deer and antelope and I really love an X-bolt. Problem is none of the pro models that meet my weight requirements really get me that excited. They just aren’t that good looking to me and tough to spend that kind of money. So I’m actually considering buying the cheapest x-bolt and getting it Cerekoted a custom color and buying a lightweight carbon fiber stock for it. But the only one I can find is the Pendleton from Oregon gunsmithing. The reviews online are very concerning though. Anyone have experience with them or have anther stock to recommend. Also considering buying a Howa 1500 or REM 700 barreled action and building from there. But I prefer single stage triggers, 3 position safeties, and detachable mags so both those would need some changes. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. Also considering just buying the new Springfield Waypoint, Weatherby Mark V, or one of the lightweight Kimbers if anyone has experiance with them.

The Springfield waypoint is a very nice rifle and great shooting from the few I’ve seen. If you can find one I would definitely at least try and hold it and see how you like it.
Are you looking for sub 6.5 with optics?

The Springfield waypoint is a very nice rifle and great shooting from the few I’ve seen. If you can find one I would definitely at least try and hold it and see how you like it.
Are you looking for sub 6.5 with optics?
No. That weight would be just the gun. I’m not really set on carbon or steel barrel and having not shot any of the super light guns before not sure if I want the recoil/can handle anything lighter.

McMillan inlets the Game Scout for the x-bolt.
Oh thanks. I looked at McMillawn before but somehow missed that I guess. Only thing is I can’t figure out if it is carbon fiber or fiber glass. Does anyone know? Also is 2-2.5lbs light enough to get me where I want to be with a steel barrel? Also can’t understand if the action just drops in or it needs more work. I really don’t know any about rifles past buying factory. Lol

What calibers are you considering?
Right now top options are 7mm-08 and 6.5PRC. Haven’t ruled out 6.5 creedmore but it’s less likely. Still want a gun that can be used for elk confidently if something happens to my 300wm or I take out a new hunter.

Right now top options are 7mm-08 and 6.5PRC. Haven’t ruled out 6.5 creedmore but it’s less likely. Still want a gun that can be used for elk confidently if something happens to my 300wm or I take out a new hunter.
The 7-08 can definitely be loaded up to be more effective on elk BUT if you’re looking at very common loads, the most popular bullet weight in a 7-08 is probably 140gr, which is also readily available in 6.5CM. For elk, I would not discount the 6.5CM. If shooting an elk with a 7-08 and looking to do “better” than a 6.5CM could do, I would lean toward using 168s. Of course, I would also consider a 155/156gr bullet in the 6.5CM for elk.

Oh thanks. I looked at McMillawn before but somehow missed that I guess. Only thing is I can’t figure out if it is carbon fiber or fiber glass. Does anyone know? Also is 2-2.5lbs light enough to get me where I want to be with a steel barrel? Also can’t understand if the action just drops in or it needs more work. I really don’t know any about rifles past buying factory. Lol
You can order the Game Scout with regular fill or with the lighter Edge fill. I can’t help you with the weights though.

I have handled a couple of X-Bolts that came with the Game Scout stocks. The comb seemed low (I would need a stock pack which adds weight) and the grip seemed large. I liked the foreend.

I think you would have more stock options with the Howa.

Ok. Really appreciate all the quick help. I’ll probably call McMillan and talk to them if I decide to go that route. And when it comes to caliber I’m not very knowledgeable on bullet options and stats. Didn’t really grow up in the shooting world. And I’ve only owned a 30-06 and 300wm. So I am keeping an open mind on calibers. I do reload, only for a couple years though, so I’m not super picky. May just be whichever is first available in what gun I decide to go with.

Ok. Really appreciate all the quick help. I’ll probably call McMillan and talk to them if I decide to go that route. And when it comes to caliber I’m not very knowledgeable on bullet options and stats. Didn’t really grow up in the shooting world. And I’ve only owned a 30-06 and 300wm. So I am keeping an open mind on calibers. I do reload, only for a couple years though, so I’m not super picky. May just be whichever is first available in what gun I decide to go with.
Unless something has changed, McMillan will inlet any of their stocks for any inlet they do, so if they have a stock available for the rifle you’re looking at, you can place an order for any of their stocks for that rifle, even if they don’t show it as an offering.

Their standard fill usually makes stocks around 30-32oz. The edge fill is a little lighter but not extremely light. They make stronger stiffer stocks than most other companies, and their fills are very strong as well. For 6.5lbs unscoped, a 2lb stock is probably going to be just fine.

If you have to get your stock under 26oz, you’d probably have to go with a different maker. I don’t know if Brown Precision still exists or if Kelbly’s makes hunting stocks, but quite a few years back, both of the made some extremely light weight stocks.

McMillan is one of the very best. i wish I had a closet full of them.

The Kimber Montana is a pretty and lightweight rifle. They have an interesting action and they feel good in the hand, but the stock does not fit me well. I had a 308 for a while, and had quite a time of it to get it to shoot well enough. I had to trim the magazine box and skim bed the action, and then had to spend a fair amount of time finding the loads that it liked. It is now owned by a friend who is sensitive to weight, does not care that it shoots groups that agg a bit more than an inch, and is impressed by the Kimber name. He and I are both happy with that deal.

If you can afford the price (app. $3,500) the NULA model 20 or 24 would certainly be worth a look. They are light, and they shoot. Forbes rifles are hard to beat in the lightweight class. I had a Forbes that I sold during a fit of madness and some years later I still regret it.

I find that light weight rifles are difficult to shoot well under field conditions. For me an extra pound or two to carry a rifle that I shoot well is well worth the trade off.

Unless something has changed, McMillan will inlet any of their stocks for any inlet they do, so if they have a stock available for the rifle you’re looking at, you can place an order for any of their stocks for that rifle, even if they don’t show it as an offering.

Their standard fill usually makes stocks around 30-32oz. The edge fill is a little lighter but not extremely light. They make stronger stiffer stocks than most other companies, and their fills are very strong as well. For 6.5lbs unscoped, a 2lb stock is probably going to be just fine.

If you have to get your stock under 26oz, you’d probably have to go with a different maker. I don’t know if Brown Precision still exists or if Kelbly’s makes hunting stocks, but quite a few years back, both of the made some extremely light weight stocks.

McMillan is one of the very best. i wish I had a closet full of them.
Manners also makes an awesome light stock. My EH8+ from them is in the 22-24oz range, so if they'll inlet it to an XBolt that would work.

Well after a lot of research I’m still leaning towards customizing an x-bolt. My current idea is to buy the X-bolt Micro in 7mm-08. It is the same price as the cheapest full size. It comes with a 20” barrel instead of 22”. It also comes with a muzzle break which I want and isn’t on the cheapest full size. The stock is too short but I am replacing it either way. I called Browning and they assured me it is the same action and will fit aftermarket stocks.

I called Mcmillan today and they said they’d only do the game scout for the x-bolt. Which I was considering a classic shape but think I would be happy with the game scout though. They have a single one in stock ready to ship right now, but it is not in the edge lightweight carbon. The guy said the edge fill saves about 9oz. He said he didn’t think it was worth the $110 for the edge fill but man 9oz seems like a lot, and $110 doesn’t seem like much for a rifle I plan to use every year for a very long time. Manners was closed before I could call them but based on their website really seams like McMillan is the only option. Pendleton stock from Oregunsmitthing is still an option but the reviews are all over the place so I don’t know about them. Would you pay the extra money and wait time for the edge fill?

Also haven’t ruled out a Howa barreled action build. But after my research it seams like if you put the Timney trigger in to go from 2 stage to 1 stage trigger you loose the 3 position safety. Can someone with a Timney on a Howa confirm this?

Back