Browning x-bolt question

midwesthunter

I have sent a couple emails to browning without a response, so I'll see if anyone in here may know? Is the stock on their hell's canyon (non McMillan) the same as the regular composite x-bolt? They look identical other then the color. If this is true, then what is the difference between the two rifles minus the obvious (muzzle brake, and painted stock and action.

And the hell's canyon has a fluted barrel to cut back on weight. I was considering a x-bolt hell's canyon speed in 26 Nosler but couldn't justify spending $1000 on a rifle, at least not to my wife. I was looking heavily at the western hunter because it had the same camo pattern on the stock and a muzzle brake just without the fluting or cerakote but ultimately found a regular composite xbolt in 26 for $500 on gunbroker. I've put 27 rounds through it and it's shooting very well and the weight difference is not enough to make me regret not getting the hell's canyon.

And the hell's canyon has a fluted barrel to cut back on weight. I was considering a x-bolt hell's canyon speed in 26 Nosler but couldn't justify spending $1000 on a rifle, at least not to my wife. I was looking heavily at the western hunter because it had the same camo pattern on the stock and a muzzle brake just without the fluting or cerakote but ultimately found a regular composite xbolt in 26 for $500 on gunbroker. I've put 27 rounds through it and it's shooting very well and the weight difference is not enough to make me regret not getting the hell's canyon.

if that was one of the grey ones, I have seen them as cheap as $400 on their, not sure what the difference is in those.

Hows the recoil in yours?

I have a Hells Canyon Speed in .308 and you are more the welcome to come shoot it.

I believe the only difference is the camo and cerakote and maybe the muzzle brake

if that was one of the grey ones, I have seen them as cheap as $400 on their, not sure what the difference is in those.

Hows the recoil in yours?

It's about like shooting a stiff 270 in a featherweight rifle, doesn't beat you up too bad but you can definitely tell it's got some thump. This is also in an unbraked rifle. That inflex recoil pad tames it down quite a bit but shooting from prone is definitely more comfortable than off a bench.

EDIT: I should probably preface this by saying I'm a bit recoil sensitive and have a hard time shooting anything bigger than a 30-06 and that starts to effect me after a few rounds so if you're used to shooting a magnum then you won't have any trouble with it.

Last edited:
The hells canyon has the same coating as the stainless stalker on their stocks. I loved the gun but the stock deteriated during my ky elk hunt in the rain last year. I talked with browning at the Dallas nra show and they know there's a problem. Great shooting guns but I'll never take one hunting again. I have pictures and a story about it on anther link.

Be very careful of the stock it falls apart and turns to glue

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back