Anyone have experience with prime bows?

Jasher

Looking at getting more into archery. With a new year new bows are coming out so I'm looking at last year's models since they are going on sale. Let's just say I know as much about bows as I do space shuttles. As a beginner is there anything I should stay away from or anything I should be looking for in a bow?

Prime is a good company and makes good bows. Stick with a well known manufacturer and you will be good to go. My suggestion is go and shoot as many different brands as you can and keep an open mind, just because your friends or a celebrity shoots something doesn't mean it is the choice for you. I was loyal to a brand at one time and my last bow purchase I told myself I am going to shoot and look at as many bows that I can before deciding. I ended up purchasing a bow from a company that I swore I would never own. I had a bad dealing with a bow rep from that company and swore I would never own one. Well it felt the best, I shot it the best. There was a close second and my decision came down to if I had a problem in the field would it be easy to get back to shooting or would I be SOL. This bow had a few less possibilities of things going wrong. I will do the same on my next purchase.

Lot of personal preference stuff in bows so it's hard for someone to tell ya. Id read about items like draw cycle smoothness, back wall (stiff vs a little give vs spongy), positives and negatives of different ATA length and brace height preference. Then go to the shop and shoot some different models and try to figure out what you like as far as grip and feel.

The thing about Prime that always kept me away is the ones I've shot were loud. Sound like a tuning fork. Almost comical on some of Corey Jacobsen's videos you can hear the Boinggggg at the shot. The draws seemed kind of stiff to me too. Other than that they seem pretty nice.

My personal preference:
-7" brace forgiveness and forearm clearance. This is a compromise in lower speeds than shorter brace heights. 6" brace is common these days.
-33"+ ata length for string angle and steadiness. This is a compromise in limited space treestands/blinds.
-A little give in the back wall like most mathews/bowtech bows. I find i get a little twitchy with rock solid back walls using back tension. I initially loved the feel of a rock solid wall like elite/PSE evolve cam bows because it just feels solid and confidence inspiring that you're locked into the valley
-Smooth draw is important to me over speed. Love the PSE evolve cam bows draw cycle. Bowtech bows on "comfort" setting also feel great and some of the new Hoyts draw real nice too. Matthews and Prime bows the last few years feel stiff to me on the draw.
-Quiet/vibe free is nice. Had a PSE carbon air 34 EC for a while and it was loud and vibrated a lot at the shot, great otherwise. Haven't shot prime in a couple years but that was a downfall of theirs too. Matthews has been the best the last 5 or so years as far as being dead/quiet IMO. Hoyt/Bowtech have been pretty good too but bowtech actually seemed to go a little backwards since the Reign bows. Haven't shot the latest couple bowtech models though.

I hunted with a prime centergy since 2018 I think and have two other good friends that shoot prime bows. They’re really well made, great fit and finish, etc. the draw on mine is a little stiff but it’s smooth throughout the cycle. I think what sold me on it was how stable it held at full draw. When I’m shooting a lot and consistently doing things right it shoots great for me. I do think the grip is kinda sensitive and my friends with them say the same. They’ve changed quite a bit since I bought mine, I shot one of the new inlines the one the other day and liked it but that was only 10 arrows or so with a bare bow. There are some great deals to be found online for 1-2 year old new leftovers it seems

If I was buying today I’d go to a shop or two I trust and shoot all the top line stuff they had that fit the specs I was looking for. There are a lot of good bows out there anymore. I’ve tried out 3 different bows this year and would be happy owning any of them; it would largely for me come down to the shop and level of service I would get.

Go to your local pro shop and work with them and try what they have there. Stay away from the box stores and internet sales. If you go that route, you might save some money up front but spend it getting help and getting rid of your frustration. At a pro shop you may pay a little bit more, but you will get it back in help and getting set up correct the first time.

Primes are good bows. Only thing I’m not a fan of is the noise they have at the shot this has been mentioned above. I don’t like how the cams are DL specific and I’m not a big fan of all the different strings needed I think the primes have 5+. This is only because that many strings ends up costing more.

Primes are good bows. Only thing I’m not a fan of is the noise they have at the shot this has been mentioned above. I don’t like how the cams are DL specific and I’m not a big fan of all the different strings needed I think the primes have 5+. This is only because that many strings ends up costing more.
Prime gives you free strings for the life of the bow.

Go to your local pro shop and work with them and try what they have there. Stay away from the box stores and internet sales. If you go that route, you might save some money up front but spend it getting help and getting rid of your frustration. At a pro shop you may pay a little bit more, but you will get it back in help and getting set up correct the first time.
THIS ^^^^^^^

I can't stress this enough. I've smithed a lot of bows and help people with their setups, but I'm to the point that I won't help a friend get his bow setup if he pieced it together across the internet so he could save 10% then make me miserable getting him set up.

Go to a pro shop, pay a bit more, and walk away with a bow that fits you, that is tuned, that is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Prime gives you free strings for the life of the bow.
I know they are free for life with a free set every two years. I’m just saying if you go with a different string maker other than whoever prime uses it will be a higher price.

Thanks for all the information. I will definitely be going to a shop now. Like I said before I know nothing so when people say brace height etc I have no clue what that means. I didn't know if bows where like rifles and could be "from this price to this price this is the order I would rank them". Sounds like bows are more personal

My .02,

Stick to a bow that is adjustable and easy to tune. No modules or replacing cams. You'll likely need to shoot for weeks before dialing in your anchor point and true draw length. Don't over bow yourself out of the gate. Most use 55-65lbs but some can't resist turning up the draw weight. Also stick to a longer brace height (closer to 7") until your form improves.

Last time i bought a bow, after shooting several bows and brands i had it narrowed down to prime or bowtech. I ended up finding a good deal on a bowtech boss first and went with it. I really like the bow but not to impressed with costumer service. I really liked how the prime shot. At least for a long draw shooter. The ones i shot had a really nice back wall and were smooth to draw.

I shoot a quest thrive, primes sub brand (technology that a couple years old). I regularly out shoot tons of my friends that have super fancy bows. Mine was $500 for the bare bow

I'm mostly shooting recurves these days, but archery technology is so dang good don't let somebody talk you into the fact you need a carbon fiber $1,000 bow to start out. A quality $500 - $800 bow is going to be far beyond your capabilities for quite a few years, And the accessories really add up.

I'm fairly frugal but there's some pretty good deals to be found buying a used bow already set up with all the stuff on it. Lots of bow shops will do consignment and that's not a bad place to start.

Only get carbon. Lighter and on cold days your hands will be thankful.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back