Anyone fished key West???

redwoood

I'm taking off this Saturday for vacation to key west. We are renting a house on a canal right off the open water. I plan on fishing mainly from the dock. Anyone have any pointers as far as bait and bait rigs?

There should be plenty of tarpon around this time of year. Stout gear, with a 8 ft shock leader of 80lb fluorocarbon. You'll probably only be able to jump a big one, but still fun. Also lots of mangrove snapper around. They'll hit anything from squid, cut bait, or small lives. You'll probably catch more big ones on live minnows. They hang around pilings, piers, and mangroves. If you rent a kayak, they'll be near any of the deeper canals through Amy of the mangroves. If you have time, stop and feed the tarpon at Robbie's bait shop on islemorada. Good luck

Not sure you need the super stout 80lb stuff. I've never used more than 20lb cheap stuff but everything else has worked good for me too

Sorry, I shortened my answer too much. I use med spinning gear with 12-20 lb line for the mangroves. Really depends upon the size fish and cover they are in.

For tarpon from shore or bridges, I used 50lb main line with a 80 lb leader. Hooked several big ones, but couldn't horse them in. We actually landed some 20-30 lb ones on this gear. From a boat or kayak people often use lighter tackle

Stop at Robbies.Mostly cheesy tourist crap visible from the highway,but the dock experience is a must.The canals also usually have barracuda lurking around.Last year while up in Lower Matecumbe I had good luck catching 'cudas just before total darkness, and at night.They are wary of people up on docks,but forget quickly if they can't see you.

No fishing experience there but when my boss is MIA for a day or two around here I can usually pull up the webcam at Hogs Breath on Duval Street and find him drinking at the bar :D

Never key west. I was in Destin last summer and fished some. Mainly caught lady fish and catfish. We are flying.

Pretty tough to fish for bones from the dock.Glamour fish aside,there are OTHER fish to be caught by someone dock fishing in a canal.But agreed....if you go to the Keys one owes it to themselves to fish inshore or offshore......with a flyrod,of course.But I am a snob.:D

Number one objective is to catch some fish that eat well right off the dock behind the house. I fish for catfish a lot at home so I'm obviously not into glamorous fish!

Snapper are the table fare.Try chumming with some shrimp,it gets them worked up,but they still can be crafty.Bottom line,any fish caught while on vacation is cool.

Like I said in the pm....You gonna catch plenty from the dock...just have to weed through the smaller ones. Bones are tough but can be done....Spoke to my father i n law last night ,there are plenty of fish inside the reef Mahi just outside of it if you rent a boat........:cool:

When I tried to fish the flats down there all I saw were naked men. No need for pics. :D

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcat1984
Back