Anybody use 90 grain ELDX in .243?

The ELDX should be fine for deer and antelope.

Recurve
What Berger’s were you shooting? The 105VLD is an awesome 6mm bullet if you have the twist for it.

I was shooting the 6.5 140 VLD's out of my 6.5 X 284. Shot a coues deer at 406 yards right on the crease and half way up the deer. Deer got drunk fell over. When we got to the deer (15 minutes) it was still very much alive and took off down the hill on a dead run. Took another shot to take him down. Bullet did very little damage to the deer. These deer down here are so small that I don't think the bullet had time to expand. Then I dumped a yote at 100 yards with the same bullet and the yote was still very much alive when I got to him. That was a texas heart shot and I thought it would have just tore him up but it didn't. Small entrance hole and zero exit hole and the yote was breathing and looking at me 3 minutes later. Not what I was hoping for.

My last coues was shot with a 143g ELDX at 500yds. Quartering away, went through a rib, through the boiler room and lodged under the skin at the front of the offside shoulder. He was dead before he hit the ground. It had very good expansion, but the jacket did separate from the core.
IMG_20171207_191943016_HDR.jpg

1800-2200 fps depending on distance. I haven't shot anything up close with the ELDM bullets to see if they perform like the BT bullet or not at those ranges. I was just expecting to have different results. Maybe my expectations are off. My buddies buck was shot at about 250 yards with the ELDX instead of 600+. I haven't shot anything with a BT out past 300 yards. Never really needed too. I had similar results with the berger bullets on smaller deer too.

The only 147 ELDM that I have ever caught, was a deer that was quartering toward me at about 80 yards, or so. It went through both shoulders and was under the skin on the off side. I have shot a lot of deer with them on depredation permits and regular permits and a few antelope. I have gotten along well. One time like what you experienced, will definitely turn you off of a bullet. It is kind of like me with SSTs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back