Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Anybody reload ammo?

Flatrock

Just curious if anybody here reloads their own ammo? I'm sure that some of you guys do. Is it hard to do? It is something that I'd possibly like to do but know nothing about. I'm sure the costs can vary widely, but how much would it cost a guy for "decent" equipment to do it? Not the cheapest or most expensive, just decent, quality equipment. Also, how much does it typically cost per bullet to reload? Thanks guys.

I just recently starting loading my own. Most of the necessary equipment I have is off ebay. I did get some from a few local friends who also load. I think I have about $200 invested so far but am still in need of a few items. If you are gonna buy the equipment there are a lot of choices. Redding or Dillon will run ya about a grand for everything, RCBS, LEE, etc I would think about $400. I am currently only loading for 1 caliber, 7mm rem mag, with others to come later. I would suggest that if you are gonna start to fond and work with someone who is well versed in loading. It can be done OYO but there are a lot of questions that will come up. Its nice to have someone who can answer those and also give some guidance. I would also recommend getting a manual from the manufacturer of the bullet you plan on loading and stick to it. There are a lot of manuals out there but I have found them to have conflicting info. Use one and stick with it until you become comfortable with the process.

I reload for everything I've ever hunted with except the .30-06 and .30-30. I got into it back in the 60's when the only choice was Remington or Winchester and whatever bullet weight you wanted. Things have changed since then and I wonder if its really necessary any more. I'm sure it is for some calibers like the 6.5x55, and I know you can't get a hot load for the .38-55 because of all the old weak rifles out there in that caliber. One reason to hand load is so that you can seat your bullets out in the neck of the case and maximize your case capacity and keep pressure down. When you do that you have to make sure your bullet does not engage the lands in your bore when you chamber a shell...your gunsmith can help you check that detail. Something I haven't heard in a long time is to be sure to put powder in the case before the bullet...no joke...if the primer goes bang with no powder you can get a bullet stuck in the bore.

I reload for 8 calibers. Reloading can get crazy expensive if you let it. I suggest looking into either ebay or getting a kit from RCBS. Stay away from the Lee Anniversary Kit because you will end up replacing everything. I do like Lee Dies however. I can get a little complicated so I also suggest that you buy several reloading books too like the ABCs of Reloading, Lyman Reloading Manuel, and maybe a brand specific manual like Hornady. Read those and then make a decision if you are willing to put in the time at the reloading bench and the shooting range developing loads. Also search somebody locally that can teach you. Visit reloading sites like Accurate Reloading Forums. You can get more consistent, accurate ammo compared to factory. It gets very addictive searching for a faster, more accurate bullet/powder combos.

I can produce premium ammo (think Accubonds, Partitions) for about the average cost of Federal brand blue box ammo. I buy relatively large lots of brass and powder and then factory seconds bullets when they are available.

I reload.

You should learn from someone though. I would recommend buying a chronograph too. It is a big help in determining a safe maximum load.

Its not hard to do at all.

I would agree with everyone, find someone to show you if you can, otherwise read as much as possible and ask questions here or on other forums.

Agree... stay away from LEE. The only thing I like is their case trimmers.

Buy a RCBS or Dillon press, a scale, de-burring tool and a primer pocket cleaner, and load away. Everything else just makes life easier. I found that spending hours upon hours on case prep, netted me very minor gains.

As far as cost. You can load premium bullets for about half the price as off the shelf.

Its a fun hobby, good luck.

reloading

I agree with what the others have already said. Regarding cost, you have to look at the long term. I have been at it for over 40 years so have amoritized the equipment cost to very reasonable cost per load. You can get a lot of good deals on used equipment if you are not in hurry as guys die or get to old to shoot much. Shotgun presses are easy to pick up by watching the bulletin boards at trap and skeet clubs if you are into that. Once you have the basic hardware, the additional dies for other calibers is a small cost. You also should consider how much you shoot. If you only shoot box or two a year it is cheaper just to buy them ready made. If you shoot a lot and want to develop the most accurte load you can for each of your rifles, then reloading makes sense. Do a lot of reading and get on some other forums too as there are a lot of sites that have good information and helpful people.

I agree with the above posts. I started a couple of years ago for versatility of loads for my 9.3x62 and costs savings. I recommend the "Any Shot You Want" manual by Asquare. It lacks a little in loads covered but has an excellent forward section that covers the mechanics of and science behind reloading. If your finances allow, consider a turrent press. It will save alot of time.

I used to reload a bunch. Rifle, handgun and shotgun shells. True there is some cost savings but control of your own loads was more of the reason. In shotgun shell, it was more to cost as even with trap loads, those new AA's where better then anything I could find. For rifle loads, it was partially cost but mostly total control of being able to use the bullet you want at the velocity you want and the ability to tweak the load for optimum accuracy. For handgun loading I had a 454 Casull (loved that gun) and was able to load some hot loads as well as some milder loads without having to shoot 45 colts through it as that was not recommended from the gun manufacturer without buying the extra cylinder.
I agree that RCBS makes some fantastic presses. I had great luck with it. I used mostly a MEC for shotgun shells and had one LEE progressive that I used for handguns that was junk. The stuff lasts forever so dont be afraid to save and buy used. It does take time but you get a lot of personal satisfaction knowing you loaded everything yourself.

Know that I mostly bow hunt I have sold all of my reloading supplies as I just don't shoot anywhere near as much as I did when I lived in southern MN and had easy/quick access to places to shoot.

A lot of people get into handloading to save money. I highly doubt that you will find this to be true-- what will probably happen is that you spend as much or more on ammo, but you get to shoot A LOT more. Reloading has done wonders for my marksmanship. When I go out shooting I usually run out of time or energy before I run out of ammo. On any given outing, I get to shoot as much as I want.

As you mentioned there is some conflicting information out there. For instance, it was said above that seating a bullet farther out in the case will reduce pressure. My understanding is that this is only true for handguns, and that the opposite is true for bottlenecked rifle cartridges-- that with cases of this type the farther away from the lands the bullet is seated (deeper into the case) the less the peak pressure will be. I figure that this has to do with the gas being able to expand without much resistance for a greater amount of time. I will bet that you will hit the maximum recommended charge weight before you run out of case capacity.

Bottom line-- if you love to shoot for shooting's sake, not just for hunting-- you should load your own ammo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back