Yeti GOBOX Collection

Anybody else shoot or hunt with a Model 39 lever action Marlin .22?

I just looked up 39A's on both Gun Broker and Gunsinternational. YIKE$$$$$ Seems like they start at $700 to $800 and go way up from there especially the 39A Mounties carbine. $1,100 and up for them.

My uncle gifted myself and my boys a family heirloom 39A. I had another family heirloom vx-2 1-4 Leupold so I paired them up. Lots of family history in that package and it’s a squirrel killer. I love carrying that gun all day.

I went to the range today with my 39A rifle. At 75 my eyes do not get along with peep sights anymore. I now have an old 3x weaver scope on it.

At 50 yards my best groups could be covered with a penny or a nickel, My worst were covered with quarter.

This rifle set a world wide record for it’s production run. If all models and prototypes are counted, it began in 1891 with Annie Oakley. If one really wants to hold a hard timeline then go from 1921.

Going from 1891, that just misses by a year the end of our Indian Wars and covers six American wars, the great depression, who knows how many recessions.

It always was expensive, but still it kept selling for over a half a century after the Ruger 10/22 came out in 1965.

By comparison it only took 15 years for the early versions of the Remington 700 ( 722 and 721 came out in 1948 )) to kill the model 70 Winchester.

While the model 70 CRF came back, it came back with an investment cast extractor claw Hardly the forged steel and hand fitted one that was the Mauser heart and soul of pre-64’s.

Remington saved 5 cents on their safety design, veering from that of the original design and the rest is sad firearm history.

Never was the quality of the Model 39 or it’s early models compromised. All Marlins held the integrity line

The 39 was more than a rifle somebody bought for their lifetime, they bought it for their bloodline.

And it is 100% pure American, offering a legacy of the lever actions that have been so unique to our country.

Sad that in terms of future production the 39A has become extinct.

Anybody else shoot or hunt with a lever action Marlin Model 39 .22 ?

I bought mine near 50 years ago and have hunted every type of small game with it, marmots, ground squirrels, cottontails, forest grouse, mountain quail.

Even shot some sitting ducks with it and retrieved them with a fishing pole.

I have used it with Lyman peep sights and also a 3x old Weaver scope. The front sight was on a ramp and I had a gunsmith hand file a dovetail grove in the barrel to install a lower front sight,

With the .22 rimifre market ruled by the Ruger 10/22 not many have chosen the model 39 but in days gone by it was a premium .22 long gun, with almost target level accuracy.
No, but I do hunt with a ''like new'' MARLIN model 81-BE deluxe bolt action.tube fed .22 made in 1940!! peep site....fine accurate rifle .

I went to the range today with my 39A rifle. At 75 my eyes do not get along with peep sights anymore. I now have an old 3x weaver scope on it.

At 50 yards my best groups could be covered with a penny or a nickel, My worst were covered with quarter.

This rifle set a world wide record for it’s production run. If all models and prototypes are counted, it began in 1891 with Annie Oakley. If one really wants to hold a hard timeline then go from 1921.

Going from 1891, that just misses by a year the end of our Indian Wars and covers six American wars, the great depression, who knows how many recessions.

It always was expensive, but still it kept selling for over a half a century after the Ruger 10/22 came out in 1965.

By comparison it only took 15 years for the early versions of the Remington 700 ( 722 and 721 came out in 1948 )) to kill the model 70 Winchester.

While the model 70 CRF came back, it came back with an investment cast extractor claw Hardly the forged steel and hand fitted one that was the Mauser heart and soul of pre-64’s.

Remington saved 5 cents on their safety design, veering from that of the original design and the rest is sad firearm history.

Never was the quality of the Model 39 or it’s early models compromised. All Marlins held the integrity line

The 39 was more than a rifle somebody bought for their lifetime, they bought it for their bloodline.

And it is 100% pure American, offering a legacy of the lever actions that have been so unique to our country.

Sad that in terms of future production the 39A has become extinct.
As per ''little sure shot'', ANNIE was adopted as a grand daughter by chief SITTING BULL.

No, but I do hunt with a ''like new'' MARLIN model 81-BE deluxe bolt action.tube fed .22 made in 1940!! peep site....fine accurate rifle .
I also have a Remington Model 511 Beehive clip fed bolt action .22. I bought it used with original peep sights. Even though lighter it is a bit more accurate than my 39A, just a bit but enough to win a shooting match. Still it is not in the same class as a Model 39A.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back