Anybody else have praise for the evet so sweet 6.5 x 55 Swede?

Mustangs Rule

Anybody else have praise for the ever so sweet 6.5x55 Swede?

First, this post is not about that wonderful, much, much newer and hugely popular 6.5 Crede.

The Crede never won one Olympic Gold Medal. The Swede won so many in international competition

Scandinavians exploring the Arctic did not take a Crede with them for defense against polar bears. They took the Swede.

Nobody ever defended their country with the Crede. When the Russians invaded Finland they were met with 77,000 Swedish Mausers that were sold to Finland

Literally an Army of sharpshooter hunters made the Russian invaders afraid to stick their noses out in the open.

This is where the Sweet Swede, the first smokeless powder “modern” rimless cartridge, 1891, has clout, swagger, and true grit in amounts few chamberings can ever claim equal to.

I have my Sweet Swede Stories, I have one in a CRF stainless Winchester Model 70 feather weight . It is the only rifle I ever pulled off a “Davy Cricket” with . Three bullets in one hole at 100 yards. Lapua Bras of course!

I’ll get to my Sweet Stories, but thought I would fist give you guys the chance to get this post going..

The two greatest fictional Hollywood accuracy scenes are when Robin Hood’s arrow splits a dead center arrow shot by his competitor and when Davy Crockett fires two shots from “Old Betsy” that are exactly in the same whole and wins the match.

Many years back when my Swede was new to me, I took it out to a 3,000 acre barley ranch to sight it in before a few days of hunting large Russian wild boar.

I did not buy this Winchester Model 70 stainless featherweight rifle new. A friend did, who was in the company of serious bench rest shooters. He re-turned the crown, squared off the bolt face, glass bedded the action, smoothed out the trigger and bought lots of premium Lapua brass which he worked. He milled the necks even, and make sure that the primer pockets and flash holes were all equal.

Then he sold me everything because the fellows he was shooting with all used “Sako” rifles. He went with a Sako in .308 and I bought his Swede.

My magic load was with 129 grain Hornady Interlock bullets pushed by IMR 4831. Off a bench make of stacked wood pallets with a feed bag on top, I shot that three shot group. One round hole, slightly over caliber size at 100 yards with a fixed 4 X Weaver stainless scope. Many other 3 shot groups were super tight, one whole hole clover leafs.

The rifle has always felt like a Jedi Light Saber to me. With meticulous reloading in the modern rifle I got the old Swede going so close to .270 velocities that it’s game field utility was the functional equal of a .270

The cool thing is how many totally different bullets I can shoot so close to the same point of impact with that the simple scope with the same setting.

It took playing with lots of different powders to do this. The 155 grain Mega shoots dead on at 100 yards, that bullet is the legal minimum weight for moose in Scandanavia. The 130 Barnes TSX is 1.5 inches high and the 120 Barnes TTSX is 2.75 high at 100 yards making it my perfect long range choice.

And the 140 grain Naturalis is just fine for closer range shooting. So kind to meat it is.

I would like to try some Lapaua Scenar bullets which have set the world record for accuracy. I would have to stay with 3 shot groups as the barrel is a thin featherweight and heats up quickly.

Always with the same fixed 4X scope, I have successfully hunted those long legged golden colored “Burro Mule Deer” on the low desets right near the Mexican Border

Also hunted stocky “Inyo Deer” with my Swede in the high desert mountains along the Nevada-California border. No place looks more like the surreal Peruvian Andes than those near bone dry mountains that push 14,000 feet.

I did not have my Swede for my successful Desert Big Horn Ram hunt, but if I did, for sure I would have used it for this once in lifetime hunt.

All this said, not too shabby for a cartridge designed in 1891, 131 years ago.

If you have a Swedish Mauser, it’s fantastic. If not, a 6.5CM, 6.5PRC and 6.5-284Norma all seem more logical.

Some of your examples are ridiculous. The Olympics? They resorted to the .22lr before the Creedmore was invented. “I didn’t….but I would have..” Really? As for defending a nation, depending on how you want to define that, the 6.5CM will likely meet that criteria soon if it has not already.

Last edited:
As for defending a nation, depending on how you want to define that, the 6.5CM will likely meet that criteria soon if it has not already.
It's already being used in sniping applications in the military.

If you have a Swedish Mauser, it’s fantastic. If not, a 6.5CM, 6.5PRC and 6.5-284Norma all seem more logical.

Some of your examples are ridiculous. The Olympics? They resorted to the .22lr before the Creedmore was invented. “I didn’t….but I would have..” Really? As for defending a nation, depending on how you want to define that, the 6.5CM will likely meet that criteria soon if it has not already.

This is relevant to my comments how?
Several weeks ago, I began a post about praising the .308. It was a huge success with 150 responses.

A few responses in, several people began talking about how many cartridges were better than the .308. Then another person commented that this post was about “praising the .308” it was not a debate, it was a positive “.308 party.” Negative comments were not invited.

The same holds true for this post about the 6.5 x55. I began this post by offering positive statements about the ever so popular wonderful 6.5 Creedmore, but stated that this post was about the 6.5x 55 Swede, its unique history in time and also with me. The 6.5x55 Swede was a pioneer cartridge and has earned worldwide respect.

Were this post to be in a European forum, the praise would come in unending compliments.

I sent you the video about the old WW2 sniper for several reasons. One it showed how good he could still be with a modern rifle. His skills were there.

I thought it so cool that he was given a restored 1903 Springfield WW2 era sniper rifle and of course it could not compete with a modern rifle. Since that time there has been generation after generation of more effective long-range rifles and new cartridges, but so what! They were not used in the Battle of the Bulge, they were not used at Bastogne. That merits respect that no other rifle/cartridge can have in the same way at all.

And same with the Swede. It’s history is grand and it stands uniquely alone. This post is about praising the 6.5x55 Swede.

It is a "6.5x55 party" celebrating a great cartridge

Debates about better rounds are not invited. Simple, like the post about the .308. Naysayers are not invited.

Hmm what else? Yes! I checked the max velocities in my Barnes reloading manual for both the 6.5 Creed and the 260 for a 120 grain bullet. The max velocity for both was right at 2932’/second. Far above that of the Swede. The Swede load data has always been low due to old rifles that were not designed for modern pressures.

How fast was the 120 grain bullet in my modern rifle with modern brass, while carefully working up my best load,,,,,2929’/second.

In Praise of the Swede, that is what this post is about.

I love my Sweed. Mod 70 Featherweight I got new about 2003, It's my third one the other two were Mod 93 Mauser's. I bounce back and forth from the 140gr Speer HC and 129gr Hornady interlock. Both shoot well enough for me. Sweed has light recoil and makes shooting it nice. Good bullets don't hurt either. Had a Parker hale 1200 rebarreled for my wife years ago and surprised me it pushed my 6.5x06 pretty hard. Wife loved it, quit shooting her 6mm Rem for it.

Hello Prairie Hunter,

I see you live in Laramie,,,,such damn fine country. I used to live in Cheyenne way back in the 1990’s

I went to Frontier Days in 1996, the 100th Anniversary of the rodeo there, “Big Daddy of Em All”

I still have a buckle I bought there then. Of course I came to Laramie a lot. Loved driving over the pass.

Vedauwoo Rocks are so cool.

I think the prairie coming out of flat Nebraska, just starting to get rolling and bumpy was as good as land gets. Little streams coming out into the prairie with beaver and even a few stray moose.

I lived out on the prairie and used to look out my window at antelope.

I hunted with a .270 then, a pre-64 model 70 Winchester.

What difference does it make what caliber or rife we use ? Enjoy what you use!

I moved from Cheyenne to Pinedale. Hunted the Wind River Range.

Used to hunt antelope up in the high meadows surrounded by Aspens along the upper Green River.

Lots of bears. Use a 35 Whelen for my antelope. Whet difference does it make what caliber we use?

Do you ever hunt the Wind River Mountains.

Take care.

MR.

Why? I agree but wonder why you feel the same way.
I have a soft spot for Mausers. I like old stuff that can get more potential with hand loading - 7x57, 8x57, 9.3x57, and the more modern 6mm Rem which I have in Mauser actioned rifles. I have always been intriged by the 6.5x55 (and x57) and the 257 Roberts and have no room for, but would love to have a rifle or two in these rounds. I've never been much of the bandwagon type.

I have a soft spot for Mausers. I like old stuff that can get more potential with hand loading - 7x57, 8x57, 9.3x57, and the more modern 6mm Rem which I have in Mauser actioned rifles. I have always been intriged by the 6.5x55 (and x57) and the 257 Roberts and have no room for, but would love to have a rifle or two in these rounds. I've never been much of the bandwagon type.
The 6,5x55 has always had a ballistic “dark cloud” hovering over it!

It was designed in 1891 to match one of the first Mauser rifles which, being the early versions, were not the strongest by any means.
I have the Barnes #3 reloading manual, from 2001 and they show full power loads for the Swede in modern strong actions.

I have the Barnes #4 and they backed off to more tame loadings

A lot like the 45-70. It has multiple loading zones. One for the old single shot trapdoor rifles and another for Marlins and super strong Ruger #1 single shot rifles.

The Swede requires a modern action and a savvy reloader to reach it’s full potential.

Somebody who, like you and I, likes to fiddle, and fuss around reloading and appreciates history and old traditions., along with Olympic Gold Medal winning accuracy, could be happy as a clam with a modern Swede.

In the #4 Barnes the person who did the write up on the Swede was looking for a “Walkabout Carbine” to keep with him while wandering about his big ranch, something ever so capable that did not kick and was gnats’ ass accurate with which he could take a wide range of game. He choose the 6.5x55 Swede.

In the #3 Barnes manual the person who did the write up on the Swede was a gun writer from Denmark who had taken a dozen moose, over 50 Caribou, over 150 Roe deer and no counting the number of Black Grouse all with his modern 6.5x55 rifle loaded to the cartridge's full potential.

What incredible diversity, and capacity for a game field utility.

And for me, one of the coolest things about the Swede are the classic, beautiful used and modern strong rifles that one can buy a 6.5 x55 in.

I have my Swede in New Haven made CRF Winchester stainless featherweight, an American classic kinda, , but often when looking on the internet I will see a strong modern, yet true classic Mauser or Husqavarna chambered in the Swede and I just drool. In manufactoring quality my newer CRF Winchester falls short

For $499 one can buy a brand new American basically computer made plastic stock rifle with good but inexpensive scope in any number of modern chamberings. And it will MOA write away.

For some that is all they might want or be able to afford. Such has never been my interests. Even as poor young man, I prefered to buy a used but still expensive classic rifle in a classic caliber,

Different strokes and rifles/calibers for different folks.

I own and love a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. I call it my freedom rifle. I was in the process of going through a divorce. In order to escape the tension of being in the home with an unfaithful and unremorseful wife, I was out on a company work blitz in San Antonio Texas. Several friends over the years came along to help me stay distracted and to break my preoccupation.

Sure enough there was a local gunshow. On a table I spotted her. She was a sporterized 6.5x55 Swedish with the bolt turned. I handled her and looked at the stamping on the bolt and the stamping on the action and the numbers all matched up. I removed the bolt and looked down the barrel and the rifling spiraled cleanly.

As a married man I was used to consulting with my wife before purchasing a rifle, but instead, I called up one of my best friends. Bestie said he had the dies and he had some brass and he even had several hundred 140 grain pills for the rifle.

I had to scoop it up!

Eager to see how she shot. I had to wait. I had to sneak her into the gun cabinet and wait out the legal proceedings. Once I finally got her to the range that Huskie was shooting dimes.

The recoil on the rifle was almost null. I ended up anchoring my largest bear to date with that rifle. I also stretched its legs out over 300 yards and harvested a 5x5 bull elk.

Attachments

• 6C26613C-B965-4FEE-904D-B97B9EDE1721.jpeg
    6C26613C-B965-4FEE-904D-B97B9EDE1721.jpeg
    838.7 KB · Views: 20
I own and love a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. I call it my freedom rifle. I was in the process of going through a divorce. In order to escape the tension of being in the home with an unfaithful and unremorseful wife, I was out on a company work blitz in San Antonio Texas. Several friends over the years came along to help me stay distracted and to break my preoccupation.

Sure enough there was a local gunshow. On a table I spotted her. She was a sporterized 6.5x55 Swedish with the bolt turned. I handled her and looked at the stamping on the bolt and the stamping on the action and the numbers all matched up. I removed the bolt and looked down the barrel and the rifling spiraled cleanly.

As a married man I was used to consulting with my wife before purchasing a rifle, but instead, I called up one of my best friends. Bestie said he had the dies and he had some brass and he even had several hundred 140 grain pills for the rifle.

I had to scoop it up!

Eager to see how she shot. I had to wait. I had to sneak her into the gun cabinet and wait out the legal proceedings. Once I finally got her to the range that Huskie was shooting dimes.

The recoil on the rifle was almost null. I ended up anchoring my largest bear to date with that rifle. I also stretched its legs out over 300 yards and harvested a 5x5 bull elk.
I went to the range yesterday to try out some 120 grain Speer bullets with Winchester 760 I was hoping the point of impact would be close and there would be no need to adjust the scope for this bullet.

I already had it sighted in for deer hunting, with my 130 Barnes about 1.5 high at 100 yards and my fast 120 TTSX Barnes just under 3 inches high with the same scope setting.

I fired three shots and the group was about 1" ( My first round of reloading this bullet) and it was right where it was ideal, about 2" high at 100 yards.

That is now the 5th bullet that I can fire in that Swede without changing my scope adjustment.

The 155 grain Lapua Mega is dead on at 100 yards and the 140 grain Lapua Naturalis is about 1.5 inches high

I never had a rifle in my life that was able to shoot 5 different bullets from 120 to 154 grains with three different powders and not need to change the scope setting one bit.

I love my Tikka T3x Hunter in the Swede. Put her in a B&C stock and wow. Looks as good as it shoots.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back