Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Any Pudelpointer guys here?

Jmnhunter

after flip flopping multiple times on which 2nd dog to get, we put a deposit down for a PP for next spring; we currently have a 9 year old british lab that we love, he'll never be replaced. But since hes 9, I'd figured we'd start the new chapter in our bird hunting lives along with ending one in the next few years:(

anyways, I've always admired the PP, was discouraged with the long waiting lists and the how pointers naturally range longer ways out but it seems from our breeder and Bob Farris's book that you can easily control it with your environment~ I'll be mostly phez, ducks, grouse. I love the versatility and less shedding everyone B***'s about.

any tips? anyone transition from a lab to a versatile dog like a PP?

I have a PP. Not sure Hank can would be many folks definition of "less shedding". Only complaint that I have with the dog so far. Hank will range out quite a bit, but it's not hard to keep him as close as I'd like. The tone on his collar works slick. Couple beeps and he picks up on it.

Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

My main bird hunting partner has one. Pretty good dog but not sure about the not shedding part. He does range but that is up to you and your training in my opinion. When the two of us go out we have a brittany, a lab and a pp. So far, that has been a hard combo to beat.

I have an 8 month PP. Such a great dog, you’re going to be very happy with your pup I can almost promise it.

Generally speaking I think it’s safe to say that PP’s are “softer” than other hunting breeds. Mine and others that I’ve seen have very little hard headedness in them. That being said, my only advice would be to
Not try and force something if it’s not happening right away. The breeds personality and versatility will allow them to catch on to most of the things you want them to do as long as you put them in the right situations.

Mine sheds very little. But obviously there is still fur around.

Owner of a 4 year old Pudelpointer here. Only gundog I've ever had but I'm sold on the breed. Great family dog, goofy as hell sometimes, mischevious when bored, hunts hard and can be chill at home.

I've done what any self respecting dog handler would call pathetic for formal training, but his instinct to do the job is just there.

Compared to any lab I've been around, he sure doesn't shed much at all.

We hunt doves, pheasants, waterfowl, squirrel, pigeons, crows. Did one blood tracking job for an arrowed whitetail too. Wish we had rabbits enough around to see how he'd do there as well.

Owner of a 4 year old Pudelpointer here. Only gundog I've ever had but I'm sold on the breed. Great family dog, goofy as hell sometimes, mischevious when bored, hunts hard and can be chill at home.

I've done what any self respecting dog handler would call pathetic for formal training, but his instinct to do the job is just there.

Compared to any lab I've been around, he sure doesn't shed much at all.

We hunt doves, pheasants, waterfowl, squirrel, pigeons, crows. Did one blood tracking job for an arrowed whitetail too. Wish we had rabbits enough around to see how he'd do there as well.
Are you, me? lol. I too have been remiss on my formal training, but we do have fun.

I have DDs not PPs but everyone I know that has switched from Labs to german versatile dogs is very happy. The range issue is all training. My male is very hard headed but clearly understands that he can hunt sharpies at 400 yds before lunch and must stay within 40 yds to chase pheasant after. Are your local NAVHDA chapters meeting yet? If so, go check them out. You will get to see some PPs work and ask about litters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back