Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Any Place to Camp

lastmountainman

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good place to camp near the Big Horns in October. I was asked at the last minute by my father to take him Mule Deer Hunting for the first time. With no points I had to get us into Region Y.
We are planning on camping in our pop-up the week we are hunting, but I just got off the phone with the Big Horn Forest people and they said that there is no camping after a certain day in September. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a state park or other camping area near or between Buffalo and Kaycee?
Any info would be nice. We will stay in a motel if there is no camping anywhere. Good luck to the rest of you in the coming hunting months.

PS: And No Cushman I don't need to know where to hunt. HAHA;)

lastmountainman---I'd like to know who told you that and where they were talking about because people are camping throughout the BigHorn NF all the way through the hunting seasons into November in the campgrounds and anywhere else they can get to in order to set up a camp. I, myself, hunt the west side of the mountains every year and see camps all over the place right until I head back here in November. You actually would be better off going down into the BLM lands northwest and west of Kaycee to fill deer tags as the NF is really noted more for elk and the deer hunting is tough, especially for newbies. Also, you can camp pretty much anywhere on BLM lands. Just get good BLM maps and have a GPS with a chip for landownership so you know where you are at all times.

Well thanks Cushman. Well anyway, I was just wanting to camp out somewhere in the middle to lower area of Region Y. I have hunted Wyoming the past two years, but new to this area. I contacted the park telephone number and spoke to a lady named Deanna. She was the person who told me that each camp ground had a set date in which it closed. I know that here in Missouri we have summer months camping and a closed winter months camping in which you can camp year round. The winter months just offer less, ie showers and running water.
I have all the BLM maps and have my GPS with the Wyoming chip as I have hunted out there the past two years. I normally just stay in a motel, but since we are going to be there for almost 10 days, we thought we might save some money by camping.
I have heard the mountain hunting is tough, ie climbing. I'm in very good shape, but my father is on his last legs. I was planning to hunt more in the south, but just read about how many hunter and pressure the BLM grounds get. Not worried though as this is my father's wish to hunt mule deer.
So you said that you can camp on BLM grounds. I would prefer to camp in the national forest, but would be willing to camp anywhere. Can you point me to the web site that talks about the rules for camping on BLM ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back