Another State Adding Sandhill Cranes

Y'all get excited, there's a reason they call them the Ribeye of the sky.

So, is that accurate? I’ve heard that several times but would love to hear some anecdotal evidence. Thought about going after them but only if they are delicious...... like elk.

So, is that accurate? I’ve heard that several times but would love to hear some anecdotal evidence. Thought about going after them but only if they are delicious...... like elk.
Yeah they're pretty good. As with many things you can't overcook them. My preferred method is to put a little fajita seasoning on and throw em on a mesquite fire till medium rare, then slice up and put in a tortilla.

Yeah they're pretty good. As with many things you can't overcook them. My preferred method is to put a little fajita seasoning on and throw em on a mesquite fire till medium rare, then slice up and put in a tortilla.

Good to know. Hopefully try that out in the next year.

Growing up in Florida and Alaska in the seventies and eighties, they were a bird of lore for me. Deliciously eaten in Alaska and fiercely protected in Florida. It's so cool to see the bounce back in the eastern states and the accompanying hunting seasons.

I've drawn and filled tags three times in tennessee. From those I made stuffers that work fantastic. I put in for the Alabama draw too, I don't have any place to hunt them but I'll figure that out if I draw.

It's a great bird to hunt and eat. Some of the cranes I have killed were BIG and must have been old. We cook a lot of game and it was some of the toughest meat to ever come out of a crock pot after 8 hours. Taste was great though. Others are tender and fantastic.

My birds were sliced into thick steaks and cooked medium-rare in butter without any other seasoning in a cast-iron skillet, and I have had few things taste better. Fresh, never frozen, Eastern cranes.

Back