Another fun Wyoming Trip

The belly crawl just after the rattlesnake story stands neck hairs up as I recall belly-crawling up a draw to a rise from where I shot an antelope. As I dressed it out, another hunter came over to look and told me of a rattler being encountered and killed in that draw the day prior.o_O
Hahaha. Yep. Lets just say everyone was very focused on surroundings after that encounter.

Congrats on filling your tags! Great write up. I am hoping to go to Wyoming in the next couple years to hung pronghorn. Never hunted them before but it looks like a ton of fun.

Congratulations! Looks like you had an awesome week. I am a nonresident out of Pennsylvania and am looking to take a week long trip out to Wyoming for a 2021 goat hunt, all public land DIY. I have a few buddies coming along as well. I have 1 preference point so I am limited to the units I can draw. If you don't mind me asking, how many points did you/your friends have? I have been browsing hunttalk a lot lately and some guys seem to say that most hunters are successful, but a few say otherwise. Just trying to get a feel for what to expect I guess.
Thanks!

Congratulations! Looks like you had an awesome week. I am a nonresident out of Pennsylvania and am looking to take a week long trip out to Wyoming for a 2021 goat hunt, all public land DIY. I have a few buddies coming along as well. I have 1 preference point so I am limited to the units I can draw. If you don't mind me asking, how many points did you/your friends have? I have been browsing hunttalk a lot lately and some guys seem to say that most hunters are successful, but a few say otherwise. Just trying to get a feel for what to expect I guess.
Thanks!
We had zero points and entered the special draw for a unit should have been 100% but ended up not drawing that unit and got our second choice.

Congrats on a great adventure. That snake encounter would’ve definitely put me on edge for the rest of the trip.

Good hunt! Nothing to wake you up faster than a rattling snake in the grass!

Navigating planning for first Antelope hunt. Would you mind giving me some feedback? I am trying to set up a hunt for my 83 yr old father. It is his first western hunt. He raised 10 of us children and never really had the funds or time to go when he was young. I have hunted elk (OTC) and upland birds several times in the West. I am hoping to do a hunt on public in WY but also would be willing to pay a trespass fee if necessary
  • With two preference points is it feasible to hunt public?
    • Should we enter in the Non-Resident Special drawing? Is it worth the extra money?
  • How have you found private land that may charge a trespass fee?

Navigating planning for first Antelope hunt. Would you mind giving me some feedback? I am trying to set up a hunt for my 83 yr old father. It is his first western hunt. He raised 10 of us children and never really had the funds or time to go when he was young. I have hunted elk (OTC) and upland birds several times in the West. I am hoping to do a hunt on public in WY but also would be willing to pay a trespass fee if necessary
  • With two preference points is it feasible to hunt public?
    • Should we enter in the Non-Resident Special drawing? Is it worth the extra money?
  • How have you found private land that may charge a trespass fee?
To answer your question, yes it is feasible to hunt public with 2 points. Given the way it has been going, I'd look at the special draw to open up more opportunities.
Given your dads age, it may be worth while to look at trespass fee hunts too so you can make an informed decision. Not 100% how to find those so hopefully someone else can chime in but I believe the game warden in the area may be of help and/or a local chamber of commerce.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back