Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Another bear bait question

Oneye

I just had another quick bear baiting question. Just wondering how far Bears seems to travel for bait or how precise you need to be on the selection of your bait site? If you're in the same canyon as a bear and you get a smelly bait site will they find it pretty easy? How far from roads do you generally go? I don't have horses and some of the things I will be baiting with are pretty bulky to pack too far? Just wondering on the selection of the site of baiting a little bit.

When we lived in Idaho, our baits were about .25 to .5 mile from the road or ATV trail. Location needs to depend on scent...prevailing breezes. Don't put a bait in the bottom of a bowl, but rather on a side hill or ridgetop.

As far as how far they travel...who knows for sure, but we had 2 baits about 4 miles apart, and we had pictures of the same bear at both locations.

My favourite spots are along the edge of swamps in the thick cover. Both my baits are only a couple hundred yards off the quad trail but I go through so much crap no one else is back there

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back